Is being a dentist really that bad?

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

CashiWaku
UNATCO

Is being a dentist really that bad?

Post by CashiWaku »

This post makes it seem like being a dentist is horrible. The the points that scare me the most are the financials. Do you really only make $100,000?

I don’t particularly plan to open a practice, and I will be going to a dental school that is going to cost me roughly $220,000 - $250,000 in loans total. I plan to practice in Florida.

What do you guys think of the bloggers opinions in the linked post? Do associate dentists really only make $100-$120K? Is the career worth it with my specific situation described above?

Sadly this morning, I also happened to see that dentists are now ranked #47 in the top 100 jobs according to the U.S. News and Reports. While this isn’t bad, it’s particularly concerning when it was #2 just two years ago. It also says there’s a 5% unemployment rate for dentists.
RasySumka
Thug

Re: Is being a dentist really that bad?

Post by RasySumka »

I have had considerable dental work done in Hanoi at a very realistic cost. I am happy to share details and prices if anyone would like them.
AlexTinny
Thug

Re: Is being a dentist really that bad?

Post by AlexTinny »

The average salary for dentists is around $180k-185k. And it is one of the highest-paid medical professions. A dentist's salary can vary depending on their geographic location and type of practice. Those who provide services in a densely populated or affluent area may have higher earning potential. The number of dentists in the region also affects wages. For example, the fewer dentists, the higher the income potential. Starting your own practice, like an Invisalign dentist Bay Village, OH, gives you more control over your income after you build your patient base and hire other dentists to work for you.