London to Edinburgh by train

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

CashiWaku
UNATCO

London to Edinburgh by train

Post by CashiWaku »

I'm no expert on UK train travel but I've done it twice. London to Carlisle and Manchester to Carlisle. The first trip, from London, was in first class on a Virgin train. That I would recommend. It was comfortable and spacious enough for the length of the trip. The second was in economy class, and that was a joke. The train was already packed by the time my friend and I got on board. We had arrived from the States a few hours prior and had all our luggage with us. We had to stuff our roller boards between our legs as the little overhead shelves would not accommodate them. The train was full of backpackers headed to the north of Scotland, so it was a very crowded coach. Fortunately, Manchester to Carlisle isn't that long of a ride but from London, that would have been terrible.

Best way to describe it was basic economy, with the perks of basic economy cut out! I've been on Greyhound and Trailways's busses that offered more room and comfort. It was loud, became hot, and cramped as all hell. I forget what I paid but I remember thinking it wasn't worth it.

The writer doesn't say what time she left but for that price, I'd be willing to bet it was off peak. Since this is a new service maybe not, those of you familiar with UK train service can set me straight.

I'd take the train again, but definitely book first class if you want an enjoyable ride.
Rob55
UNATCO

Re: London to Edinburgh by train

Post by Rob55 »

Hmm, that is an interesting question, I very rarely travel by train. But my brother recently travelled by train from London to Edinburgh. He says that it was quite a very comfortable trip. He was travelling in first class, and if I'm not mistaken, the ticket cost about 70 dollars. I recommend you to see Edinburgh because it is a beautiful city. It would be fantastic if you could find a tour to see as much as possible. When I was in Barcelona, I found the site https://www.freetour.com/barcelona and booked a cool trip. So I hope that the trip will be comfortable.