Window Tint

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jess55
NSF

Window Tint

Post by Jess55 »

I just got a 2002 Sprinter 140wb passenger model with windows all around. I am going to do a camper conversion. With all that glass, I am thinking this thing is going to be a greenhouse, and therefore want to cut the heat. I would love some answers to the following questions, preferably backed up by some kind of real-world data so as not to lead to more confusion.

I have tried looking through some threads here and on some other forums like Tintdude, but I'm still confused because it seems there is a lot of contradictory information and I'm not sure who is right. For instance somebody will post an answer, then somebody else will refute it, then the other guy will say "oh yeah...I guess you're right...sorry, my bad". But then somebody else will come in and refute what those two people just agreed on.

My main goal is to keep the inside of the van as cool as possible. Cut heat transmission from the sun. Now I know that in and of itself is a complicated scenario because of the different types of heat transmission, so perhaps that can be cleared up as well.
With regards to the "darkness" of the tint, I'm not necessarily leaning towards or opposed to just about anything from 20-90. Ideally, I would like to retain the ability to see outside from within the vehicle so we can enjoy views of nature even at dusk and dawn. Therefore I am thinking maybe a lighter tint?
Finally, I intend on making some solid panels to go over the windows when we need total privacy and/or to block additional heat. I bought some 2" rigid foam insulation that I will use for that purpose (and to insulate the rest of the van). Therefore, having really dark or blacked out tint is not necessary for privacy.

1- What type of window film is worth it? I believe ceramic from what I've read. The 3M Crystalline gets mixed reviews and supposedly turns brown

2- What brand? Looking for a good value, not necessarily lowest or highest cost. I'll pay for longevity and performance if it is justified.

3- Darkness of tint? This is one I am most confused on. Within one brand of film, what reduces overall heat more...20% or 80%? Some say the darker tints get really hot and therefore they are not helping, but others say they get hot because they are blocking that light at the window instead of allowing it to enter the vehicle and heat up other things inside. And there is UV, visible and IR light...so which of these is the culprit that we want to reduce/block?

4- Will the insulation panels have any effect on what tint should be used? I have some radiant barrier left over from when I put it in the attic of my previous home and was thinking of gluing that to each side of the foam board to deflect more heat. Good idea?

5- DIY-able? Ideally, I would do this job myself. I have put Gila film on the windows at my house with pretty good success. I am not going to tint my windshield or driver/passenger windows. If I decided to do that, I would probably leave that job to a pro because it is a safety issue with visibility. But all the other windows are fixed in place and perfect visibility is not a concern, although I do want a view without too many imperfections. I understand that pre-cut, laser-cut or professional cut film is going to look nicer around the edges than my job, but I'm not too concerned about 1/16" of a difference here. so...has anybody applied their own film?
MalfStape
Thug

Re: Window Tint

Post by MalfStape »

I recently looked for a tint that does not let through ultraviolet.
AnemKisku
Thug

Post by AnemKisku »

A couple of years ago, I used 20% toning in the front and 50% in the back for comfort and sun protection. However, I soon saw that there are new modern technologies that help fight sunlight. So I purchased sunshades at snapshades.com. If you evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of tinting and sunshades, the choice in favor of sunshades is obvious. Firstly, the curtains win in terms of functionality. It is toning and a mosquito net, which will protect you from annoying insects. I'm sure such sunshades will help you keep the inside of the van cool.
grippingfossil
Mole Person

Post by grippingfossil »

My primary objective is to maintain a temperature inside the van that is as comfortable as is humanly possible. Reduce the amount of heat coming from the sun. Now I am aware that in and of itself is a complicated scenario due to the various types of heat transmission, so perhaps that as well can be cleared up.
funny shooter 2
john00
NSF

Post by john00 »

The cooled air is then released into the room. This process is much more efficient at cooling a room than a fan, but it does require more energy to operate. https://allcoolfans.com/best-fan-for-dorms/
sew3
Thug

Post by sew3 »

Tinted films applied to screens like laptops, smartphones, and tablets can reduce glare, making it easier to view the screen in various lighting conditions. Read more on tintlegality.
FrankJScott
Silhouette

Best Interior Design Blog

Post by FrankJScott »

Why don't you Google it! before you post
FrankJScott
Silhouette

Top Interior Design Tips

Post by FrankJScott »

FrankJScott
Silhouette

Updated Interior Design Details

Post by FrankJScott »

FrankJScott
Silhouette

New UK Car Import Site

Post by FrankJScott »

In reply to the lady asking about importing vintage ambulances to the UK, importing vintage horse-drawn vehicles to the UK, importing luxury car models to the UK, importing quad bikes to the UK, car import mot requirements UK, importing vintage logging trucks to the UK, car transport , importing vintage recreational vehicles to the UK, importing exotic cars to the UK, my car import , importing classic european cars to the UK, importing cars to the UK, car import inspection UK, importing race cars to the UK, importing performance cars to the UK, I suggest this shipping your vehicle from hooksiel to the united kingdom 2 for car import compliance requirements UK, importing luxury suvs to the UK, help importing my car , importing armored vehicles to the UK, importing commercial vehicles to the UK, shipping car to the UK , importing vintage trucks to the UK, dvla vehicle registration, car shipping, importing vintage dump trucks to the UK, importing vintage military vehicles to the UK, importing vintage utility vehicles to the UK, importing vintage utility trucks to the UK, importing vintage delivery vans to the UK, importing vans to the UK, also.
-------------------
For the man inquiring about erek erek 1000 mimpi, tafsir mimpi 2d 3d 4d bergambar, buku tafsir mimpi 2d dan 3d, gambar buku mimpi 4d, gambar seribu mimpi lengkap, buku mimpi 2 angka gambar, buku mimpi mimpi, seribu mimpi bergambar 2d, tafsir mimpi buku tafsir mimpi, erek erek bertemu, buku mimpi bermain, erek erek buku gambar, buku erek erek tafsir mimpi 2d, erek erek 3d gambar, seribu tafsir mimpi 2d bergambar, tafsir seribu mimpi 4d, buku tafsir bergambar, buku mimpi online, I suggest this buku mimpi 2d for ramalan mimpi 4d bergambar, tafsir mimpi buku, erek bergambar, buku mimpi 4 angka bergambar, 2d mimpi bergambar, buku tafsir 1000 mimpi 4d, tafsir bergambar 2d, 2d bergambar, erek 2 bergambar, erek 1000 mimpi, buku mimpi lengkap bergambar, seribu mimpi 2d gambar, gambar tafsir mimpi, tafsir mimpi bergambar 3d, buku mimpi bergambar 2d, seribu mimpi 4d bergambar, buku mimpi bergambar lengkap, tafsir mimpi 2d lengkap, also. See More Best UK Car Import Site 1eb136f