How much route planning is actually needed?

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

dagmaparty
Thug

How much route planning is actually needed?

Post by dagmaparty »

Bit of a background: Female, early 30's, and a planner. I usually enjoy the planning part of every trip, like where will I go or how to get there and what to see. I do leave room for some spontaneity (I won't plan everything down to the minute), but I always have a plan B and usually know things like ferry boat times or subway maps beforehand.

I'm walking from SJPP to Santiago in May 2023 (I know it's still far away, I did mention I'm a planner). And I've been reading the forum everyday, obsessing over equipment, and actually having a lot of fun. Recently I started planning my route, using Gronze and Godesalco.com and I realized I kind of don't want to? I think it will be good for me to just let go of the planning part and just walk.

But, I do have a timeline, since I will only have about 33 days, maybe 35. I'm hoping to get to Santiago in 33 days. From what I've read, I believe it's doable. I also know May is high season, so assuming I'll start my walk around April 29th (May 1st is a Tuesday, so I'll be starting on the last weekend of April), I believe I'll need to book those first few days in advance, at least until Pamplona, past the "bottleneck". But after that, do I need to plan it or book ahead? Should I book a few days in advance as I walk?

I'm sure there are people that just wake up everyday and walk until they feel like stopping, but I'm honestly just not used to it. I'm hoping reading people's opinion on it will give me some peace of mind.
Rob55
UNATCO

Re: How much route planning is actually needed?

Post by Rob55 »

Many have attempted, but all have fallen short.
CashiWaku
UNATCO

Re: How much route planning is actually needed?

Post by CashiWaku »

Before I depart, I'll do a ton of research to compile a calendar on https://www.123calendars.com/july-calendar.html "My Map" with pins for everything that sounds cool or interesting (usually layered by places to eat & drink, see & do, shop, etc). I can then simply pull it up on my phone when I'm there and decide what suits my mood, is close, is open at that moment, etc. I normally start by making travel and hotel reservations before adding a ton of attractions, activities, and places to see to a map so I have a useful tool with me.