Do you consider GNU/Linux when choosing an operating system for you computer?

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

JanBaclar
Thug

Do you consider GNU/Linux when choosing an operating system for you computer?

Post by JanBaclar »

I talked to a friend recently (or what I at least think is a friend [I wouldn't know] and online, of course) and I found out that they don't know what Linux is (in the sense that they're completely unfamiliar with it).

Now I don't know specifically what Linux is (or GNU, for that matter), but I understand enough that I choose it over Windows on both my desktop and laptop.

I want to know how you see GNU/Linux because I am concerned that people don't see it as a viable option in the market of computer operating systems. Why do or don't you use it?

Oh, and my first impressions of Linux was that it was for people who couldn't afford Windows.
CashiWaku
UNATCO

Re: Do you consider GNU/Linux when choosing an operating system for you computer?

Post by CashiWaku »

I don't understand people who are going to play games on Linux.
Rob55
UNATCO

Re: Do you consider GNU/Linux when choosing an operating system for you computer?

Post by Rob55 »

It's amazing that we live in the 21st century and people don't know about Linux. In fact, Linux is an operating system that is designed to work, because it consumes less computer resources than, for example, Windows or macOS. However, it has some limitations when using software, that's its disadvantage. But for example, I recently started working as a web developer and use only Linux, as it seems to me fast and convenient, and I also started using it when I found out about centos 7 end of life. This also gave me an impetus to use this operating system.