Alpha Protocol

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

fox
X-51

Alpha Protocol

Post by fox »

We've heared about it before but today there's this pretty interesting article on Kotaku:

http://kotaku.com/5021528/alpha-protoco ... g-fps-fans

Sounds very promising if you ask me.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I've been completely fanatical about it since I heard the first whisper of its existence. I'm a huge fan of Obsidian Entertainment (w00t Torment, Fallout, KOTOR2, Mask of the Betrayer), so the idea of these guys doing an FPSRPG (the genre of Deus Ex!) - and with Chris Avellone as design lead, even! - makes me incredibly excited. I find it exceedingly difficult to wait.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Dead-eye
X-51

Post by Dead-eye »

Don't they plain to have Deus Ex 3 out the door 2009. Do you think it could be marketing?

Anyway looks cool... although I don't think it will be as good as Deus Ex... but there is a shot.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Do I think... WHAT could be marketing?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Dead-eye
X-51

Post by Dead-eye »

Jonas wrote:Do I think... WHAT could be marketing?
Sometime I do stupid. :lol: :oops:

What I meant was two games coming out at the same time that are vary much the same.

This game and Deus Ex 3 seem to won't to hit the same target market. If both games come out at the same time they trump each others sales. It could be that Edios is making Deus Ex 3 to try and kill off this game or vise versa. Most likely the latter. (Latter is first right?)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I really don't think any of these companies would spend millions of dollars developing games with the express purpose of outdoing each other. I think Obsidian are doing Alpha Protocol because after developing licensed games for several years, they've decided now is a good time to create their own IP, and they've rightly realized there aren't enough secret agent RPG's in the world. And I think Eidos are doing Deus Ex because it's a really valuable franchise and they want to make more money off of it. I'm also willing to bet that both of these games were conceived before either company heard of the other's game.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

This game for some reason looks like Metal Gear Solid 4.. lol maybe its because it has the exact same weapons and is over the shoulder. Well anyway if its an RPG MGS4 It'll be epic, I suspect that is where its heading.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Except since this is Obsidian, the story and the dialogue is likely to be a hell of a lot more coherent, and the game is unlikely to have hours upon hours of goddamn cutscenes.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Fulgrymm
UNATCO

Post by Fulgrymm »

Also: Latter is second, former is first. Freedom is slavery. War is peace. Ignorance is strength.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Yeah, up is down, white is black, cats are dogs, and Fulgrymm is sane.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
fox
X-51

Post by fox »

Big Brother says Thx 4 da add!
Dead-eye
X-51

Post by Dead-eye »

Jonas wrote:Except since this is Obsidian, the story and the dialogue is likely to be a hell of a lot more coherent, and the game is unlikely to have hours upon hours of goddamn cutscenes.
Regarding statement about MGS4:

Way too true.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

agreed. *steps forward 1 step only to greeted by a cutscene that goes for nearly 20 mins before I take another step and see a similar cutscene of myself taking yet another 15 min drag on a ciggy :P whilst sad guitar music plays.. bring bring.. Oh shit my codec.. heres another 30mins wasted.. fuck*

When playing the first time the game is just epic.. but on the second time it sucks.

Its like Mass Effect, if you stuff your character up at the start all the time you realize how poorly written that initial Eden Prime part is :D but I always try to plow through that. Presently replaying it to get a good renegade ending though not being such a hardquore bitch about it (I like female Shepard because the male one seems like a cheap ripoff of Commander Shepard from StarGate Atlantis :P hehehe Bioware's naming department sucks. Plus the female one's more funnier when she beats people up :D.)

I also love how they are doing the dialog now, its an idea which I've wanted to use all along where you pick from 3 different personalities, this was the same system used in the X files game and also in the blade runner game and I'm glad its being used in Alpha.
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

I like the option to pick your dialog before they've finished talking for a more fluid conversation.

As for the conversation options (and also relating to your complaint about the writing) what irritates me is that the descriptions of the items don't necessarily match what Shepard says and in fact sometimes all three options he says the same thing. Its not uncommon for rpgs to have conversation options that dont have any effect on the game but it frustrates me when I have to choose between three options where the choice has no impact on the rest of the game, the flow of the conversation, or even what my character actually says >_<
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Really? I love the fact that the Shepard says something slightly different than what I actually choose, it's much more interesting to listen to the dialog if I don't already know verbatim what he/she'll say. Plus, it makes for quicker selection when you don't have to read excessive amounts of text.
-Life does not snap to the x-axis