Seeking advice with mold encapsulation

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

CashiWaku
UNATCO

Seeking advice with mold encapsulation

Post by CashiWaku »

So my mother has lived in the same apartment for 40 years. She has an elderly cat that we believe urinated on her carpet in the living room behind the couch. A horrible smell permeated the air and we couldn't figure out what it was. Until I noticed white powdery mold growing on her antique wooden furniture, and red brown dust under a wooden tv stand. I believe the cat urine soaked through the carpet into the floor and subfloor and caused a lot of mold to grow there. She can't afford to properly remediate, unfortunately. I told her she should invest in properly removing the subfloor but she won't do it. She also has loads of things in the apartment, she's a bit of a hoarder, not too bad, but it still would be very difficult to move her out.

Is encapsulating the mold somehow a terrible idea? I've heard of products like foster 40 50 and foster 40 80, that are supposed to kill some mold, and then seal them in with an antimicrobial clear paint. What do you all think? Is this worth a shot or not? Thanks.

[Additional info: The antique furniture was cleaned and sprayed with concrobrium and put in a locker.
The room had been emptied, and I could still smell the mold. I fogged the place with thymol oil, and concrobrium, which helped a lot. But the smell still returned to some degree.]
PerioPady
Mole Person

Re: Seeking advice with mold encapsulation

Post by PerioPady »

Hi there! I'm sorry to hear about the mold issue in your mother's apartment.
NikoDemuse
Mole Person

Post by NikoDemuse »

Encapsulation can be a temporary solution, but it's important to keep in mind that it doesn't completely eliminate the mold. It's still important to address the root cause of the issue and remove the source of the mold growth. If your mother is unable to properly remediate, it may be worth contacting a professional who can offer guidance on the best course of action. BTW, you can check out aidens.property for more information on mold removal and remediation services. Hope this helps!!
Tyrtyfipol
Thug

Post by Tyrtyfipol »

Dealing with mold issues, especially in a long-term living space, can be tough. Encapsulating the mold might provide a temporary solution, but it's essential to address the root cause to prevent future problems.
Henryharvey
Mole Person

Post by Henryharvey »

Since your mother can't afford extensive remediation and has hoarding tendencies, it's understandable to seek alternatives. Using products like Foster 40-50 or Foster 40-80 could help contain the mold temporarily, but keep in mind that it's not a permanent fix. It's crucial to maintain good ventilation and monitor the area regularly for any signs of mold resurgence. If you're still exploring options, I recently came across some water damage restoration services that specialize in mold removal. They might offer personalized advice based on your specific situation. Check out https://www.alldryus.com/texas/cypress- ... mediation/ for more info.