Rabbi Drukman died

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

RomeAlive
Thug

Rabbi Drukman died

Post by RomeAlive »

Baruch Dayan Ha'emet. My Rosh Yeshiva and former MK Rabbi Chaim Drukman passed away a short time ago due to complications from his second bout of Covid.

I prayed hard these last few weeks. I knew chances were not high, given his age and the various complications. I'm very sad.

I studied in the hesder Yeshivat Or Etzion under Rabbi Drukman for a little over seven years. I can't say I ever felt like I was one of the inner circle of students, but I was proud to be a student of his nonetheless. I learned a lot from him, and the other rabbis in the yeshiva also passed on to us things they learned from him.

Many of his students will talk about his Torah, his emphasis on ideas pertaining to our time - the days of the redemption. And I don't deny, there's a lot to be learned there, and I learned a lot. But one of the most important things I learned from him was in terms of study technique, and it's something I still implement to this day: Always open up your sources and read from the original. Don't trust quoting by heart or reading someone else's work quoting that source. Rav Drukman would come to every class and lecture with a large stack of books. When possible, he read the sources from the books themselves. He had a huge private library, so it was only rarely that he borrowed books from the yeshiva's library.

One of the unique things about the Rav as a Rosh Yeshiva was that he gave up to 7 classes to students of the yeshiva every week. And if classes were canceled, he did everything in his power to reschedule them. Most rashei yeshiva in Israel give 1-2 weekly classes. But even though Rav Drukman was always very busy and very active, we the students always heard from the other rabbis that the yeshiva was his most important achievement, and so he put in so much effort in teaching the students.

One class, during my first year of yeshiva, I made a small pencil and pen drawing of him. It's not the greatest, but here it is (רה"י stands for ראש הישיבה, the Rosh Yeshiva):
BriCheese
Thug

Re: Rabbi Drukman died

Post by BriCheese »

Sorry to hear -- I just received an email about this and then saw your post. T'nachamu to all concerned.
KeliaDracu
NSF

Re: Rabbi Drukman died

Post by KeliaDracu »

I'm really sorry to hear about the passing of Rabbi Drukman. Baruch Dayan Ha'emet. I can sense your sadness and the impact he had on your life as your Rosh Yeshiva. It's clear that he was a remarkable teacher and mentor, imparting not only Torah wisdom but also valuable study techniques. Reading from the original sources is a valuable lesson indeed. It's amazing how influential teachers leave a lasting impact on their students. I stumbled upon this post while I was browsing online for information related to death and funerals. By the way, I recently came across some intriguing Mausoleum Designs that offer unique ways to honor and remember loved ones. Just thought I'd mention it, as it may interest you.