The US Economy

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

So many words...
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
fox
X-51

Post by fox »

Jonas - The Wordy wrote:So many words...
Smike
Platypus

Post by Smike »

J. Michael Straczynski wrote:"Our job, as always as writers, is to create bar fights and arguments, not to solve problems or to answer questions."
All I can say, kid, is that I'm glad you were so incited. My opinion is that there's absolutely nothing I've said there that was fundamentally flawed - quite the contrary - but the detail just isn't there; there's no clear-cut point I'm making in that paragraph besides what a Polar Bear might think in a tornado. So you're really reaching with this second "flaw", and I'm staying away from that.

My only further observation related to what I was saying before is what I ALWAYS observe: if more people listened better and asked questions instead of pointing out the obvious and obscuring the truth with their idle thoughts - the words of the frenzied moment - it would be better for everyone.
Solid_Choke
UNATCO

Post by Solid_Choke »

Not like you guys will care, but I got into silver in 2001 because I didn't like what was going on with the lower and lower mortgage down payment trend. I'm thinking about selling most of it and going 20% silver, 30% TIPS, and 50% securities. I'm thinking about moving more into securities because I think there is an overreaction out of securities causing the prices to be under what the true value of the assets are worth. So basically things are on sale and it might be a good time to start improving my position.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

if more people listened better and asked questions instead of pointing out the obvious and obscuring the truth with their idle thoughts - the words of the frenzied moment - it would be better for everyone.
Good idea.. Lets ask Jeeves he'll know.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Solid_Choke wrote:Not like you guys will care, but I got into silver in 2001
Are we talking..like..actual silver? Chemical symbol Ag?

Where do you keep it? In a box under the bed? I've never really got the whole technical side of commodities buying: I mean, do you just wander up to some silversmith and say "I'll take two kilos, please" and then carry that to a local safety deposit box?
Moonbo
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Moonbo »

"Are we talking..like..actual silver? Chemical symbol Ag?"

Yeah, it's like buying stocks and bonds, you usually make commodities trades (precious metals, grains, pork bellies, etc) either through a 3rd party who holds onto it for you or you buy shares in a fund that just buys the commodity. But it technically is yours, so I guess if you wanted to put it in a box under your bed you could ask them to give it to you :P. Unless you're actually in the business of using the commodities (like a silversmith, or a farmer), doing commodities trades is usually in the hope that the selling price of the commodity will go up after you buy it so you can sell it at a profit (just like stock trading).

-Gelo
But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.
-Sun Myung Moon
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Personally I plan to just sit here and watch my savings turn completely worthless. Then shrug and feel sad.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
DDL

Post by DDL »

Moonbo wrote:either through a 3rd party who holds onto it for you or you buy shares in a fund that just buys the commodity.
Ah, see that's how I thought it would probably end up happening, but I was hoping it wasn't the case.

After all, if everything goes tits up, all we really have are 'promises that the numbers we see on paper/computer screens actually reflect some hard currency somewhere': we don't actually HAVE any cash at any given time. Likewise, if commodities worked that way, you'd only have some person's/organisation's promise that they'd actually treat that commodity as yours. Either way it's trust and promises....

Of course, my theoretical "tits up" scenarios involve shotguns and hoarding tinned goods, so perhaps I'm taking this to extremes.
Moonbo
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Moonbo »

Yeah, any way you get around it, a successful economy is based on a bedrock of trust. Which is why people who say "greed is good" are wrong. Everyone has a desire for self improvement, but when enough people start shafting other people to get what they want, the economy can't hold up.
But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.
-Sun Myung Moon
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

My tits-up scenarios involve making games and getting rich.

I may be missing a few steps between there, but I'm not sure what they are yet. It'll come.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
DDL

Post by DDL »

Those are your worst case scenarios?

I mean 'tits up' as in "oh shit, everything's gone tits up: time to run to the bunker" or similar.

Scenarios where everyone's fucked, essentially.

Also maybe zombies.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

DDL wrote:Also maybe zombies.
I always wonder where the zombies come from. In Resident Evil it's obvious, but in Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead it's a subject completely left untouched.
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

John, if zombies eventually begin walking the Earth, I will still be trying to sell them games. Presumably games in the vein of Stubbs the Zombie (just better, obv.)

I have no survival skills. No survival skills.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

EER wrote:
DDL wrote:Also maybe zombies.
I always wonder where the zombies come from. In Resident Evil it's obvious, but in Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead it's a subject completely left untouched.
It's touched, by characters speculating, it's just never outright explained, which is for the best. In the Living Dead movies it's some virus or chemical or some shit and all the zombies are fast zombies and it makes me sad. :(