Twatter? Twotter? Twitter!

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Twatter? Twotter? Twitter!

Post by Master_Kale »

Twitter!

I just created a second account after neglecting the first for a number of months, and along with TwitterMail, I've found a means of keeping up with THIS Twitter account that doesn't involve me being in from of my computer all the time! The only problem is, with my limited participation in the "Web 2.0" community-based aspects of the internet, I don't have much of a "internet posse" that I "internet hang around with".

So I'm curious, how many people here use Twitter?

Here's my account: http://www.twitter.com/MasterKale

If we want to get a TNM-related list of twitter accounts going, I can go ahead and update this post with people's accounts as you guys post them.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Twatter? Twotter? Twitter!

Post by Trestkon »

I useth the Twitter: http://twitter.com/LarryLaxdal
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Fulgrymm
UNATCO

Post by Fulgrymm »

Not I, good sir. I still don't see any compelling reason to get involved with the whole Web 2.0 business.
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

Trestkon, I'm following you! Better be on your best behavior :lol:

And Fulgrymm, I know exactly what you mean. I mainly use the internet to read what others have to say, I very rarely feel the desire to contribute. But I'll keep up with Twitter for a bit just to see how it turns out.
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

WTF is Twitter? I am not kidding, I have not ever heard of this Twitter.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

Clearly you do not watch CNN, they have become obsessed.

It used to be that whatever moronic thing they were talking about you'd get real news in the text crawl at the bottom of the screen, but now, at certain times of day, they instead display what people are saying on, among other things, Twitter.
r00tb33r
MJ12

Post by r00tb33r »

Sheesh... I don't watch anything other than Discovery and CNN, and even I haven't heard of any "Twitter". Rather I have and do hear tweeters, driven by my vintage vacuum tube amplifier(along with midranges and woofers).
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

If you happen to catch Rick Sanchez's show you'll hear mention of Twitter.
r00tb33r
MJ12

Post by r00tb33r »

I guess I'm slow...
The title says "Twatter"...
For all you foreigners, examine the definition of "twat" http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/twat
...I dunno if the title of this thread can be edited at this point LOLz... :lol:
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Yeah, I liked the pun. That should be the past tense of twittering. I also like how Larry King often says "You can check out more on my blog?" and the camera cuts to someone else who tells Larry about Larry's blog.

I don't like Web 2.0. It's done with technology I don't like (Javascript, Flash, etc). It's all too new so they either misuse it or can get away with things "Web 1.0" isn't allowed to anymore. People posting their names, a list of everyone they know, photos of themselves and others, what they've been doing and what they will be doing, all onto a commercial website database. None of you even know my first name ;-)
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

Everyone at least knows half of my first name, but it is not like I hide it. Anyway I do not think anyone would be interested in hearing that I will be planning to play MGS4 in three hours... Or for that matter I do not think anyone wants to know what I am doing ever.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

justanotherfan wrote:None of you even know my first name ;-)
Or do we ... SIMON?
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I say stop saying Simon!

I've found that if someone can know who you are, what you've done, who you know, where you'll be, have evidence of all the preceeding, and still never even know you, they can cause quite a lot of damage. These are things that "Web 2.0" can mean when it comes to social networking online. Mybook and Spaceface are constantly in the news for such issues which can have terrible consequences.

I do like social networking online, however. I just think that it is in its infancy. It'll need a lot more than fancy javascripting, especially since I use NoScript.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

I agree though, most people have no idea that they should keep some things from the web. Such as where I live, or where I work, or who I know. There are not many people here who know who I know outside of this community.

Facebook however (which I use for a bit) does show a part of this overlap (but still not so much, because the Dutch do not use Facebook a lot, except for international relations). In Facebook it's possible to give a reason why you know someone, for example 'we are neighbours', but I never fill that out, because that means they can identify you via your neighbour, and they may not be so aware of these issues as you are.
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

justanotherfan wrote:None of you even know my first name ;-)
Every one of you knows my first name. It's frankly unbelievable I haven't been burglared and murdered in my sleep yet, huh!?

Paranoid gits. Frankly, the main problem with the Internet is anonymity. People are happy to be the biggest dicks they can because nobody knows their real names. People need to start owning up to their words and actions.

And seriously:
r00tb33r wrote:For all you foreigners
You need to stop saying that. I find it pretty fucking annoying, if not outright offensive.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine