Need learning advice from the cybersecurity professionals...

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

CashiWaku
UNATCO

Need learning advice from the cybersecurity professionals...

Post by CashiWaku »

I am a career IT professional with over 20 years experience. My deepest area of knowledge is networking (routing, switching, firewalls, and wireless). I have experience in almost every IT specialty except application development including some database management, extensive Active Directory design and deployment, tons of telephony, and significant storage design/management. I am a novice at coding but I have built some basic web pages over the years and done lots of server scripting. So, I have a sound understanding of the fundamentals but lack any advanced skills whatsoever.

I want to greatly improve my security knowledge and skills. How do I leverage my years of experience in other areas to get better on the security front? Are there particular courses or books or other resources I should pursue? Where is the starting point? I am not necessarily looking to change directions in my career but as a Director-level resource for an SMB, I need to be able to handle some security projects for my company on my own. Our budget simply isn't big enough to hire expert help for every security initiative. Thanks for your response. I appreciate it.
GeorgieHess
Mole Person

Re: Need learning advice from the cybersecurity professionals...

Post by GeorgieHess »

Continuous learning and adaptation are key in the ever-evolving landscape of cybersecurity
JeffMiller
NSF

Re: Need learning advice from the cybersecurity professionals...

Post by JeffMiller »

It's fantastic to see your dedication to expanding your cybersecurity knowledge! With your extensive experience in IT, particularly in networking, you already have a solid foundation to build upon. Leveraging your expertise in areas like routing, switching, firewalls, and wireless networking can be invaluable as you dive into the realm of cybersecurity.

When exploring resources, be sure to check out this stresser tool for comprehensive insights and guidance on cybersecurity best practices. Their expertise can complement your learning journey and provide valuable perspectives on navigating security challenges effectively.