Xesum's Nostalgic: "Do you remember this game" Thread

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Xesum
Illuminati

Xesum's Nostalgic: "Do you remember this game" Thread

Post by Xesum »

This is a thread where I will come up with some names of all the old classical awesome epic games and see if Jane_Denton (And you) remember them, this thread is also open for other people's nostalgic stuff.

Quake
We all remember this as the dark game where everything was dark and full of zombies.

Settlers
I hope we remember this RTS that was designed with 6 year olds in mind.

Grim Fandango
We all remember this! It's so good that it is even in the Nameless Mod as a throwable item.

Outcast
This was (To my knowlage) the first Third Person Shooter, and was the first game to not really need a graphics card, and only a Processor, due to the software in the game.

Outlaws
A super epic omg awesome Cowboy game, basically 4 hours of "You're out number'd Marshall" and over 9000 The Good the Bad and the Ugly references.

Deus Ex
Best Game Ever

System Shock 1 & 2
I've never played these.

Doom
One of the first First Person shooters (Mouthfull) and it was very retro.

Wolfenstien 3D
Earlier Version of Doom but in WW2 and much more Arcade.

Duke Nuken 3D
It's Time to Kick ass and chew bubble gum, but I'm all out of gum.

Fallout
Kickass RPG.

Serious Sam
Never Played it.

Tomb Raider
Never played.

Thief
Was about 5 at the time, didn't understand why I wasn't meant to kill people.

Half Life 1 Era
One of the best games I ever played.

Gunman Chronicles
Never played it.

Heretic
Never played it.

Hexen
I have it bought on Steam, I just haven't gotten round to installing it yet.

Unreal
I remember this as that game with the flares
Do you remember these games?
Last edited by Xesum on Sun May 24, 2009 8:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Re: Xesum's Nostalgic: "Do you remember this game" Thread

Post by Jaedar »

I can't help but notice neither Deus Ex or System shock 2 are on the list.

Personally I'm a bit young to remember these games for when they came out, but I played grim fandango a year ago, and it was awesome.

also, I remember Heroes of might and magic 3. I spent countless hours on that game when I was little, literally hundreds of hours :P
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Jane_Denton
X-51

Post by Jane_Denton »

Xesum wrote:This is a thread where I will come up with some names of all the old classical awesome epic games and see if Jane_Denton (And you) remember them, this thread is also open for other people's nostalgic stuff.

Quake
We all remember this as the dark game where everything was dark and full of zombies.

Settlers
I hope we remember this RTS that was designed with 6 year olds in mind.

Grim Fandango
We all remember this! It's so good that it is even in the Nameless Mod as a throwable item.

Outcast
This was (To my knowlage) the first Third Person Shooter, and was the first game to not really need a graphics card, and only a Processor, due to the software in the game.

Outlaws
A super epic omg awesome Cowboy game, basically 4 hours of "You're out number'd Marshall" and over 9000 The Good the Bad and the Ugly references.

Do you remember these games?
Some of my oldies but goodies... ones I have played multiple times fit into this category... I still have my DOS games all installed and ready to go via the joy of DOSBOX....

Quake... I'm a total fan! Quake 2 is my fave... and I have The Reckoning • Ground Zero also!

Wolfenstein 3D

Doom 1, 2 .... Played Doom 2 on a LAN that me and some classmates built during my first time through school... They killed my ass more than I care to remember... I've gotten better since then!

Duke Nukem 3D Come get some! :lol:

Fallout 1, Fallout 2, Fallout Tactics, Fallout 3 (good but not as good as the originals cause it didn't have the off the wall humour) My thoughts on 1 and 2 if I could crawl inside the game and walk around that would be soooo cool.... <3

Serious Sam Gold Who didn't love the chaingun! :lol:

Tomb Raider series... Cursed and swore like a sailor at the game, those timed sequences could drive me nuts... haven't wrapped them all to date and have to play it in small doses... Thank God for Stella's website!!!! [-o< http://tombraiders.net/

Thief series

Abomination Just liked it!

Half Life 1, Blue Shift (total soft spot fer Barney! <3 ), Opposing Force

Gunman Chronicles Reminded me of Half Life 1

Blood Yeah that was so cool :twisted:

System Shock 2 - Alas I never got the Basketball in the basket... :x
Last edited by Jane_Denton on Sun May 24, 2009 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who we are is but a stepping stone to what we can become...
Storm
UNATCO

Post by Storm »

Non First Person shooters: Dave 2 etc
Our Atari had lots of cool games :Beam Rider, Pacman, Kaboom!!

Then obviously DOOM 2!!!
Wolfenstein 3d
Some of Heretic and Hexen
And Blood..Though i found the atmosphere depressing.
Just a little bit of Tomb Raider and Thief!! God I'll never forget how i hated the zombies..I always turned the volume down when they came .They honestly freaked me out..Their sounds!
Return to Castle Wolfenstein isnt that old i guess..Would that be considered nostalgic?
When the remarkable becomes bizarre, reason turns rancid.
Storm
UNATCO

Post by Storm »

Oh My..how could i forget UNREAL . I loved the series..Besides liking the later on UT gameplay..i loved the world of Unreal. NaPali :)..Thats pure nostalgia..The soundtrack rocked..!!!I stilll get goosbumps fromt he Unreal Ending theme. OST was done by the same Alexandor Brandon as Deus Ex i believe. :)
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Storm wrote:Non First Person shooters: Dave 2 etc
Our Atari had lots of cool games :Beam Rider, Pacman, Kaboom!!

Then obviously DOOM 2!!!
Wolfenstein 3d
Some of Heretic and Hexen
And Blood..Though i found the atmosphere depressing.
Just a little bit of Tomb Raider and Thief!! God I'll never forget how i hated the zombies..I always turned the volume down when they came .They honestly freaked me out..Their sounds!
Return to Castle Wolfenstein isnt that old i guess..Would that be considered nostalgic?
Nostalgic usually means over 10 years old.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

Star Trek: Strategic Operations Simulator on the TI

Burger Time on the Commodore 64.

Also on the Commodore 64 was Donkey Kong.
Jane_Denton
X-51

Post by Jane_Denton »

Storm wrote:Oh My..how could i forget UNREAL . I loved the series..Besides liking the later on UT gameplay..i loved the world of Unreal. NaPali :)..Thats pure nostalgia..The soundtrack rocked..!!!I stilll get goosbumps fromt he Unreal Ending theme. OST was done by the same Alexandor Brandon as Deus Ex i believe. :)
OMG I can't believe I forgot Heretic and Hexen and UNREAL either! #-o Although in my defense I don't have them on CD... I looked at my CD's.... I have them on 3.5 diskettes... but I copied them to a blank CD... somewhere!? :lol:
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Updated some stuff.
Jane_Denton
X-51

Post by Jane_Denton »

Xesum wrote:Updated some stuff.
Cheater... I'm gonna do that too then! :P
Storm
UNATCO

Post by Storm »

Haha.. for some reason Unreal was the most emotional out of the old ones for me . Did the zombies in Thief actually scare anyone else or was it just me being chickenshit? :oops:
AgentSmithereens
Silhouette

Post by AgentSmithereens »

I've only played 1 game on that list apart from DX, and that is Tomb Raider - those were good times, me, my dad and my sister crowding round the computer playing it together. I remember being ridiculously freaked out by the mummies and mutants in the Atlantis / Egypt levels.
Jane_Denton
X-51

Post by Jane_Denton »

Storm wrote:Haha.. for some reason Unreal was the most emotional out of the old ones for me . Did the zombies in Thief actually scare anyone else or was it just me being chickenshit? :oops:
Yeah they unnerved me the first time I encountered them.. maybe it's a girl thing! LOL :lol:
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Quake - Yes, but I only ever played the shareware. I played until Episode 2 on my GP2X (open-source handheld console), and I went to play some more recently but never did.

Settlers - Nope.

Grim Fandango - Recently (like, a week ago) played this for the first time. Oddly runs better in Windows 7 than in XP for me, but I got stuck because the game broke in the forest (I need a fire extinguisher to get past the beavers but they took it out of my inventory).

Outcase - Nope.

Outlaws - Yes! Mostly the demo though, the version I downloaded didn't work.

Deus Ex - Never.

Systom Shock 1&2 - Got bored of 2 about 5 minutes in.

Doom - Of course.

Wolfenstein 3d - Yes! :)

Duke Nukem 3d - Never played it though properly I don't think, but played most of it.

Fallout - Nope.

Serious Sam - In the middle of playing Second Encounter, but getting bored of it. Got bored of Serious Sam 2 too.

Tomb Raider - Nope..

Thief - Only played through the third fully. I know a lot about the first 2 and started playing the first through VirtualPC but never continued it.

Half Life 1 - Awesome rail shooter. Plus the mods are brilliant.

Gunman Chronicles - Nope.

Heretic - I think so.

Hexen - I think so on this, too.

Unreal - Favourite FPS ever :)
nopushbutton
Thug

Post by nopushbutton »

For me? Tribes.
And I don't mean Tribes 2, which is the game most people mean when they refer to "Tribes."
I mean old-school Tribes. *sigh* :)

I've played a few on the list, too. Grim Fandango was excellent (though I remember it as being pretty short).

Fallout is great. Fallout 2 was good too, but it lacked polish.

Half Life 1 is awesome to play now and then. Flying down steel corridors blasting faces, and such an expansive mod community! I still play HL1 mods more than anything else.

Gosh, Unreal was the first FPS I'd played, and boy did I love it. The graphics were incredible back then. Also, if it hadn't been for Unreal, a certain other game we all know and love and a certain other nameless mod wouldn't exist :lol: