What are you playing?

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

JC_Helios
X-51

Re: What are you playing?

Post by JC_Helios »

AEmer wrote:If you think that's beautiful, you should see my local park, or my local forrest. No really, they look amazing.

But there's not really much gameplay to them, unless you put on your own soundtrack or an audiobook, in which case at least some sense of atmosphere develops.

Do you get the point? If not, let me explain:

Skyrim looks amazing because the landscape repressents adventure and fun and games. Because it feels like a real and exciting world.
Oblivion, nomatter how pretty it looks...doesn't. At least to me.
True, but personally I haven't really been able to get "addicted" or anything to Skyrim because of all the generic, bland, filler quests. I mean sure, Oblivion's quests weren't masterpieces, but they were much better than what Skyrim offers. That being said after my first play through of Oblivion doing most everything I quickly downloaded many quest mods; some of which with roleplay significance, and others that offered multiple paths/solutions so as to keep my enjoyment of Oblivion going. I think I'd have a problem playing the vanilla version of any Elder Scrolls game twice, but I haven't even completed Skyrim before setting it down.

tl;dr version: Why play Skyrim when there's all this?
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

filler...quests?

What? The pacing of the individual questlines was nearly perfect. I mean you can deconstruct them so that you can see the formula they posses, but filler? Hooooow?

A quest that says, get me 10 rat ears off of the rats from this specific area, that's filler, yes.

A quest that has you running back and forth between two npc's 6 times, that's filler, yes.

These are not the quests of Skyrim.

The most fillery quest I completed in the game was one where I decided to try to recover a family broadsword that had been stolen by the molepeople of skyrim - ones that live together with a weird kind of centipede.

The quest took place through the quest liason of a guild, and helped me build reputation with that guild. It also gave me a significant amount of information about an enemy I had not encountered before.

Here's the thing; this was the most fillery one. One of the main quests of Oblivion - the one where you're supposed to go into Kvast - is incredibly more fillery. The sheer length of time involved and how horribly paced it is - how the entire thing lacks atmosphere or the sense of hell on earth its supposed to invoke.

The biggest crime of that quest is how boring it is, and yet it is all but required, whereas the sidequest from Skyrim I mention? If I don't like giant centipedes and its just too much, I can say bugger that and do something else and never ever look back and I can complete the game anyway.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

itsmydamnation wrote:my main point was that OBGEv3 far exceeds the render engine in skyrim, skyrim game engine has more flexibility and better art but its main target was still a DX9 based 240MFLOP console GPU, not a DX11 3 TFLOP card like a 6970.

but OBGE has

physically correct SKY ( it changes colour based altitude etc, really good look light shafts)
Steeple parallax oscillation mapping (sadly not enough textures in QTP3 have normal maps but that ones that do :shock: )
physically correct water ( this water shits on skyrims so very very much!)
Volumetric Screen Space Indirect Illumination
High Definition Ambient Occlusion or Horizon-Based Ambient Occlusion
a million different kinds of DOF
MLAA/DLAA/FXAA2/FXAA3/MDLAA/MFXAA/SMAA depending on your preference :o
volumetric fog
Luminance adjusting HDR
Sub-Surface Scattering Skin
complete new lod shaders, even tweaked skyrim doesn't get close in terms of detail (trees etc) http://obge.paradice-insight.us/wiki/im ... -NoFog.jpg
all the things like depth buffer precision and shadow map etc size is configurable so you can jack them right up if you have the hardware.
Aside from the fact they're two different games (why do you have to play one and not the other?) - the OBGEv3 renderer most likely does not exceed the Skyrim renderer and even if it does the output won't look any better. You can throw as many pixel shaders at Oblivion's art content as you like, it isn't getting any prettier.

To pick up a few points:
Physically correct skies? Who cares? Do you look up and go "that sky looks cool?" Yes. That's all that matters.
Parallax mapping looks like shit no matter what engine you're in - that said, did you mean to write parallax occlusion mapping?
'Physically correct water' (no such thing in real-time, btw) - the water in your later screenshot doesn't really look any better than Skyrim's. There's a bit more detail to it, I guess.
Depending on the implenetation, SSII is basically a tweaked SSAO shader - which looks like shit. As does DOF - and to be fair, all post-process lens effects look pretty awful, even if you're working in video compositing apps.
Anything above FXAA doesn't have noticeable benefits (but rapes performance), and there's no point in pushing LOD to ramp up detail when you don't even want to see things at the kind of distance you showed. The maps were not designed with that kind of visibility in mind, and it shows - plus you have a floating island in the distance because the water shader isn't reflecting the terrain (and I wouldn't expect it to, either.)

See, effects like this sound impressive - but much like the ENB Series renderer in Deus Ex (which I hate), it looks tacked on and horrible. Having an assload of fancy shaders like SSII and DOF does not make it a good rendering engine. Shaders like DOF can be thrown onto any renderer, what defines the render as good/bad is how efficient it is at handling them.

The screenshots I've seen of MGSO look a lot better because the whole thing seems 'unified' rather than "THROW EVERY SINGLE PIXEL SHADER POSSIBLE AT THIS OLD ART CONTENT"
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

AEmer wrote:filler...quests?

What? The pacing of the individual questlines was nearly perfect. I mean you can deconstruct them so that you can see the formula they posses, but filler? Hooooow?

A quest that says, get me 10 rat ears off of the rats from this specific area, that's filler, yes.

A quest that has you running back and forth between two npc's 6 times, that's filler, yes.

These are not the quests of Skyrim.

The most fillery quest I completed in the game was one where I decided to try to recover a family broadsword that had been stolen by the molepeople of skyrim - ones that live together with a weird kind of centipede.

The quest took place through the quest liason of a guild, and helped me build reputation with that guild. It also gave me a significant amount of information about an enemy I had not encountered before.

Here's the thing; this was the most fillery one. One of the main quests of Oblivion - the one where you're supposed to go into Kvast - is incredibly more fillery. The sheer length of time involved and how horribly paced it is - how the entire thing lacks atmosphere or the sense of hell on earth its supposed to invoke.

The biggest crime of that quest is how boring it is, and yet it is all but required, whereas the sidequest from Skyrim I mention? If I don't like giant centipedes and its just too much, I can say bugger that and do something else and never ever look back and I can complete the game anyway.
Filler in the sense of all the:
"Oh yeah, I was repairing this sword for this guy, can you go give it to him?" quests in each town, but mostly the "Radiant" repeatable "quests" Which were mostly just glorified dungeon crawls, and fetching of items.

Also the Guilds were horribly short, boring, and often times had very little themes in line with the actual guild:
Lack of stealth, and espionage in Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild.
Lack of Magic use in Mage's Guild.
The Companions were fine I guess, but there's really not much to screw up when it's basically just a group of dungeon crawling; bandit/monster killers which more and more is becoming the singular play type in Elder Scrolls games.

Admittedly the Main quest is better , and the civil war thing had potential, but I just got bored and couldn't bring myself to keep going. Hopefully there will eventually be something like Integration which gives me a reason to actually complete guilds and major quests. (ie: recognition of actions, immersion, interesting quests to do along side the boring vanilla ones, etc.)
shadowblade34
MJ12

Post by shadowblade34 »

I've modded my Skyrim to hell, so I'm just pretending that my character is a hunter/forager. Even got a mod house built in the trees.

Other than that I decided to clear up my backlog, so I downloaded 3 new games to have alongside my list of uncompleted games.

I'm also playing a lot of Hello Kitty Magic Piano DayZ now that the 1.62 patch came out, works perfectly fine now.
What the heck are you looking at my signature for?Read my blog
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Skyrim: Today's lesson, some quests you can only finish after levelling up a bit. I just got my ass handed to me by a bunch of witches. I managed the minor ones...just, but the BOSS witch was just too powerful.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
itsmydamnation
Thug

Post by itsmydamnation »

DaveW wrote: Aside from the fact they're two different games (why do you have to play one and not the other?) - the OBGEv3 renderer most likely does not exceed the Skyrim renderer and even if it does the output won't look any better. You can throw as many pixel shaders at Oblivion's art content as you like, it isn't getting any prettier.
OBGE does more then just pixel shaders, it hooks the entire render, higher levels of texture filtering can be set etc. the biggest problem is generating new content while using existing parameters as the ability to change the rest of the game system is limited.

To pick up a few points:
Physically correct skies? Who cares? Do you look up and go "that sky looks cool?" Yes. That's all that matters.
a game play purist could argue that with any graphic advancement, what makes dragon age 2 better then the 1994 effort of Darksun or ultima underworld? the sky actually adds quite a bit, Oblivion didn't have a real horizon they just covered it with fog (they did this with lots of render issues), it didn't have a real sun with a real sunrise or set.

Parallax mapping looks like shit no matter what engine you're in - that said, did you mean to write parallax occlusion mapping?
yes im dyslexic and rely heavily on spell checker..... sue me.
'Physically correct water' (no such thing in real-time, btw) - the water in your later screenshot doesn't really look any better than Skyrim's. There's a bit more detail to it, I guess.
thats because those where screenshots from alpha testing ( only ones i bothered putting up online), only the first one has the water mod (beta by the looks of it) and its deep water on a calm day. Go into anvil harbor or Cheydinhal where the water depth is low and the water effects have been tweaked for the environments.

Depending on the implenetation, SSII is basically a tweaked SSAO shader - which looks like shit. As does DOF - and to be fair, all post-process lens effects look pretty awful, even if you're working in video compositing apps.
http://obge.paradice-insight.us/wiki/Am ... Effects%29

there are a whole range of AO effects to choose from bad low quality fast effects, right through to high end very ALU intensive effects. oblivion's lighting system was quite primitive so SSII can actually add quite a bit particularly indoors.

Code: Select all

Anything above FXAA doesn't have noticeable benefits (but rapes performance), 
this i have to completely disagree with you on and communities of developers will disagree with you :lol:
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=55634 the best bit is, you can try them all yourself(using the shader developer enable/compile/disable in realtime) and see that im right :D
SMAA exceeds 4x MSAA in most cases, FXAA is nowhere near that quality, it blurs textures badly as well. you cant run MSAA in OBGE because of the DX9 back buffer limitations.
and there's no point in pushing LOD to ramp up detail when you don't even want to see things at the kind of distance you showed. The maps were not designed with that kind of visibility in mind, and it shows - plus you have a floating island in the distance because the water shader isn't reflecting the terrain (and I wouldn't expect it to, either.)
a few points, one all the meshes and high maps have been redone,
two, that pic is not the render operating normally ( no fog , no other effects)
three, the water replacement itsn't operating in that pic and normally you wouldn't see that far.

ripped stright from the wiki this is what it does:

Code: Select all

It contains shaders which provide the following extra functionality:

LOD-meshes don't need UV-coordinates
    the transition from local terrain to LOD-meshes has been smoothed
    texture-filtering is taking more samples from the LOD-textures to provide seemingly higher resolution
    a more sophisticated noise-scheme is used to add detail to the surface, it provides color- and normal-noise
    it raises specularity for bright surfaces the higher the surface, this makes mountain-tops with snow shine in the sun 
See, effects like this sound impressive - but much like the ENB Series renderer in Deus Ex (which I hate), it looks tacked on and horrible. Having an assload of fancy shaders like SSII and DOF does not make it a good rendering engine. Shaders like DOF can be thrown onto any renderer, what defines the render as good/bad is how efficient it is at handling them.

ENB has nothing on OBGE, ENB does nothing but post process, OBGE hooks the entire render pipeline, things like HDR are now implemented correctly in OBGE as compared to default oblivion.

The screenshots I've seen of MGSO look a lot better because the whole thing seems 'unified' rather than "THROW EVERY SINGLE PIXEL SHADER POSSIBLE AT THIS OLD ART CONTENT"
thats hardly fair because:

1. OBGE does way more then post process shaders, like Tessellation (AMD's DX10/xbox implementation) or that you have R/W access to every single pass within the oblivion render.
2. every shader is optional and every shader is highly tweak-able via user defined variables.
3. All the art has been redone, all re-textured, bodies remodled the LOD uses TWMP meshes for Tamriel.
4. i dont see anything in those screenshots that are particular better then OBGE, you should note that the scenshoot i linked are in various stages of Alpha or beta development ( it just what i have online at the time). if we want a pissing contest i can bring out the pretties :twisted:

I see i have thrown the cat amongst the pigeons, maybe i should start talking about conspiracy theories :mrgreen:

edit: i should also add that those post process effects aren't post process in OBGE they positioned in the render pipeline for best accuracy. you can force them to post via configuration if you wish to the see the difference.
AgentOrange
UNATCO

Post by AgentOrange »

Oh god, I just managed to fix the most irritating bug of all time.

So, any of you play New Vegas, you know the quest "You'll Know It When It Happens." (Opposite quest would be "Arizona Killer")

So I did this quest, Independant playthrough. And it literally took me ten tries, not because I sucked, but because some weird shit kept happening:

1. If I waited through the speech killing the sniper and disarming the bomb, Kimball would walk to the Vertibird... and stand there. Doing nothing.

2. If I reported my finding, same thing.

3. If something happened to cause a panick, Kimball would run into the visitor center and then spontaneously explode.

In the end, I looked all over the net, and goddamn did I get lucky. ONE OTHER PERSON had the same bug. And they also knew how to fix it. It was very specific: I couldn't disarm and report the bomb, or report the dead sniper, or wait through the speech. I had to steal the detonator, and report THAT. And only then did it actually work.

Anyway, yeah, just felt like sharing one of my most frustrating experiences in gaming.

EDIT: And now I have a very minor bug where the game wants me to talk to colonel Moore for "For The Republic". I've already failed "Don't Tread On The Bear!", so Colonel Moore has already disappeared from this plane of existence. Huh.
"Heh, a Throne Room! How pretentious can you get?" - Garret
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Oh man, that sucks. The thing with New Vegas is they patched so it was running smoothly, then they patched it to accommodate the DLCs and brought back more than a couple of bugs.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
itsmydamnation
Thug

Post by itsmydamnation »

in the short time we have been subjected to DCL, has it ever been a good thing?
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

@ JC

Why would you _ever_ do a radiant ai quest unless it included something weird and interesting? Give me one good reason to do one.
And why would you accept a delivery quest once you've discovered the major locations?

The quests you mention are _not_ filler. Filler is boring ass content which you have to go through and which pads the core game experience to make it longer without serving a narrative purpose. There is none of that in Skyrim.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

OBGE does more then just pixel shaders, it hooks the entire render, higher levels of texture filtering can be set etc. the biggest problem is generating new content while using existing parameters as the ability to change the rest of the game system is limited.
I understand that it's more advanced than that - all I meant was that most of the graphical enhancements are pixel shaders and that doesn't change the underlying art - and that's true of all modern rendering engines. Texture filtering past low-level Anisotropic doesn't have a huge impact.

a game play purist could argue that with any graphic advancement, what makes dragon age 2 better then the 1994 effort of Darksun or ultima underworld? the sky actually adds quite a bit, Oblivion didn't have a real horizon they just covered it with fog (they did this with lots of render issues), it didn't have a real sun with a real sunrise or set.
Well if the Oblivion sky didn't have that, then yes that is a good enhancement. I assumed you meant that it was 'phsyically correct' in a way Skyrim's wasn't (to which I was saying who cares - since Skyrim's looks perfectly fine.)
yes im dyslexic and rely heavily on spell checker..... sue me.
It was a legitimate question - I hadn't heard of paralax oscillation mapping before so I wasn't sure if it was some odd new technique I hadn't heard of. Parralax occlusion mapping still looks awful, though.
there are a whole range of AO effects to choose from bad low quality fast effects, right through to high end very ALU intensive effects. oblivion's lighting system was quite primitive so SSII can actually add quite a bit particularly indoors.
I'm sure it can add a bit onto Oblivions primitive lighting system, but that doesn't mean it's better than Skrim's. I also tend to hate any 'Screen Space' based effect because they're always prone to glitches. SSAO looks nice if you stand still - as soon as you start moving, it looks awful.
this i have to completely disagree with you on and communities of developers will disagree with you
I'll put it this way: I can see no major visual difference between more intensive AA techniques and FXAA on my 2560x1440 display. The only difference I notice is frame-rate.

If you zoom into small objects, then yes, there's a difference. I'm talking about what you can actually perceive playing the game.
ENB has nothing on OBGE, ENB does nothing but post process, OBGE hooks the entire render pipeline, things like HDR are now implemented correctly in OBGE as compared to default oblivion.
Granted, ENB is entirely post-process. OBGE is mostly post-process. What I was referring to is that you're still tacking on graphical enhancements to an engine and art content that weren't designed for it. For example, HDR only looks good when the entire lighting system and light setup in the maps are designed for it.

All that said - it'd be great if you could post what you consider to be a "good" OBGE screenshot or two. All I can say is taht from what I've seen, the graphical enhancements look slapped on and generally awful.
itsmydamnation
Thug

Post by itsmydamnation »

do you want it with new art assets ( my main oblivion modded game sits at about 20gig) or just OBGE? i'll just stick to just OBGE that way its a direct comparison :smile:
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

itsmydamnation wrote:in the short time we have been subjected to DCL, has it ever been a good thing?
Yes, the binding of isaac dlc was very good. :P
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

I rather enjoyed lair of the shadow broker, and the dragon age witch hunt dlc meant a lot to me at the time