What are you playing?

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Re: What are you playing?

Post by DaveW »

Just been playing Call of Cthulu - never heard of it before but it sounded quite interesting.

Turns out while the concept is interesting the execution is terrible. At least I know where Amnesia got the idea for 'sanity' from - although the fact that it's a fucking terrible idea is clearly shown by this game, so I don't know why Frictional decided to adopt it for Amnesia. I lost about 15 minutes progress because I had a 'sanity failure' trying to find the right position for a pedestal, because you have to save at specific points which are both infrequent and hard to find.

Quite a lot of bugs, too. But then it was published by Bethesda.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

I thought it was a pretty nice game. But I ran into a gamestopping bug as soon as I get to a police station. People say the game is kinda downhill from there anyway, so not the biggest deal, but even so. Never died due to sanity failure, but maybe it gets worse as you go on.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Cthulhu is a brilliant game and I love the sanity system. I recommend seeing it through to the end. Its a little unpolished yes but it's a grand adventure overall. Also save points FTW.
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Jaedar wrote:I thought it was a pretty nice game. But I ran into a gamestopping bug as soon as I get to a police station. People say the game is kinda downhill from there anyway, so not the biggest deal, but even so. Never died due to sanity failure, but maybe it gets worse as you go on.
By people I assume you mean Thief fans? Because for me it only gets better once you get to go guns blazing.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

DaveW wrote:At least I know where Amnesia got the idea for 'sanity' from - although the fact that it's a fucking terrible idea is clearly shown by this game, so I don't know why Frictional decided to adopt it for Amnesia. I lost about 15 minutes progress because I had a 'sanity failure' trying to find the right position for a pedestal
You can't actually fail due to insanity in Amnesia. It's all visual effects and freaky sounds when you're out of your mind, but you never get a game over.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
VectorM
MJ12

Post by VectorM »

I think he was talking about that Cthulhu game.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I know, but he was comparing it to Amnesia, and I felt the need to clarify that the insanity mechanic is not used in the same way there. It's not exactly obvious what's going on in that game :)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Most of us will also agree that you wouldn't want popcorn for dinner or steak as a cinema snack.
err... err... umm... in Australia we have that... ... .... yeah we actually do.. they only do it on certain days, can also get alcohol.
As for popcorn as dinner.. well 1 week a year that pretty much happens- called Royal Show week.
STRAYA!
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:
Most of us will also agree that you wouldn't want popcorn for dinner or steak as a cinema snack.
err... err... umm... in Australia we have that... ... .... yeah we actually do.. they only do it on certain days, can also get alcohol.
As for popcorn as dinner.. well 1 week a year that pretty much happens- called Royal Show week.
STRAYA!
And an ice-cream cone with real strawberries in it for dessert. \o/

Borderlands 2: I started a playthrough 2 for the Gunzerker but I want to try the Assassin Class as Zero. I believe it can be pretty challenging in the levels 10 and above.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
kdawg88
MJ12

Post by kdawg88 »

Lego Racers demo. Just because. :)
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

I'm playing Mechwarrior Online.
shadowblade34
MJ12

Post by shadowblade34 »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:I'm playing Mechwarrior Online.
You've just broken the NDA.
What the heck are you looking at my signature for?Read my blog
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

At this point the NDA means fuck all, they basically made this Open Beta now thanks to PC Gamer (full open beta starts in like a weeks time). Besides its not like I told you guys anything other than I'm playing it.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:
STRAYA!
Bloody Australians.
Jaedar wrote:I thought it was a pretty nice game. But I ran into a gamestopping bug as soon as I get to a police station. People say the game is kinda downhill from there anyway, so not the biggest deal, but even so. Never died due to sanity failure, but maybe it gets worse as you go on.
Yes, it's definitely downhill from there. You get guns in the police station and it turns into a generic puzzle-FPS in the vein of Half Life, rather than the sort of detective-mystery it was up to that point (albeit with a tonne of jumping puzzles). Sanity failures only happen with the monsters you encounter later.
Cybernetic pig wrote:Cthulhu is a brilliant game and I love the sanity system. I recommend seeing it through to the end. Its a little unpolished yes but it's a grand adventure overall. Also save points FTW.
The problem with the sanity system, in both Cthulu and Amnesia (although I wasn't aware the Amnesia one doesn't kill you - I thought it did) is that it's a cheap and artificial "horror" mechanic. If the game developers have done their job properly I should be feeling scared myself, the game shouldn't have to tell me "oh, by the way - what you're seeing right now should be scaring you." By making you play according to the sanity system, I think it makes you play it as a game rather than an experience which isn't the point.

I wouldn't mind the unpolished elements if I could save where I want to. But save points mean I can't open or close the game when I want (or alt-tab, since that crashes the game) and also means that hitting a bug or a stupid situation where you die through no fault of your own means losing a lot of progress. There was a bit where you climb down a cable of an elevator shaft - but the "I'm scared of heights" visual effect comes on which completely distorts your view. For some reason as I was going down, my character decided to leap from the cable and throw himself down the shaft. I'd missed a save point at the top somewhere, so I lost about 15 minutes of progress.

Just let me fucking quicksave.
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

I'm also in that BETA mr. cyberpunk. #feelsgood

"Most of us will also agree that you wouldn't want popcorn for dinner or steak as a cinema snack."
Unfortunately true.

Steaks are fucking delicious and you should be able to get them anywhere.