What are you playing?

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: What are you playing?

Post by Jonas »

Jaedar wrote:
Hassat Hunter wrote:Where you got the NOLFs? *wants the NOLFs*
Thepiratebay if nowhere else. and since it's not on steam or gog, it's probably your only resort.
ಠ_ಠ

But... it's virtually abandonware. So yeah, fair enough.

I own NOLF1 on CD, having bought it way back when it was still available in stores. I was fortunate enough that my coworker Daniel has NOLF2, so I borrowed that from him, also on CD.
Hassat Hunter wrote:As for DS3, hated it.
Love DS1, love DS2. Canned DS3 pretty early the start. And that for an Obsidian fan. It's just... not very fun.
Maybe that's my fault for picking melee Lucas guy instead of distance woman though...
Well I do always pick ranged characters in action-RPGs because melee tends to be super boring.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jonas wrote: But... it's virtually abandonware. So yeah, fair enough.
The developer was owned by warner bros before it died, the publisher was owned by vivendi before it died. It seems unlikely those rights will coalesce so the game can be sold. But then again, system shock 2 is being sold, so you never know...
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Blitzed through Saints row 4. I haven't played any of the other ones(got pc version of 2 for free but the port was so godawful I only touched it once), so I feel like I missed a lot of the references, but it was still a fun game. Good jokes, solid open world gameplay and a capable port. I especially found the digs at mass effect to be hilarious.

Also played the banner saga for a bit. It's certainly interesting, and decently challenging for now. There's one thing that's very unintuitive though: The game operates on a "fair" turn based model where you and your opponent alternates turns, even if you have different amounts of units, so if the less warriors you have the more often they will get to take an action. When you add to this that damage decreases with health, the stricly best strategy is to never finish off enemies, just leave them with 1 or 2 hp left. I don't think I like this aspect very much. Also the game is gorgeous.
odio ergo sum
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Saints Row The Third was entertaining enough, SR IV I'll get sometime.

I finished Tomb Raider (77%) and I'm doing a second run. I enjoyed it but some of the QTEs drove me up-the-wall. The game minimising to the desktop every damn time I left clicked during a battle was rage inducing...until I googled and found that an option in the menu would stop that happening. :roll:
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Playing SR IV too of course (duh, free).
Will buy it once it gets on sale, and it's a gold package... :)
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

And so the year of INCLINE begins, as blackguards and might and magic x: legacy are released.

I played both a bit. Blackguards is a tight, combat focused game. Combat itself works very similarly to Expeditions, but unlike that combat is all there is. Character development is based on a pnp so there's a decent amount of choices and builds possible there. But the star of the game is the fights, and they manage to keep it interesting by making almost every arena contain some gimmick or interesting layout or secondary objective. There's a demo on Steam which is like 5 hours long and its saves are compatible with the full game. If you like turn based combat, you should check it out.

As for MMX... its rather astonishing that this isn't an action game with rpg elements, but rather a game that is apparently faithful to the previous entries in the series. My experience with blobbers(1) isn't very extensive(I've played Grimrock and a bit of wizardry8), but it seems.... solid. Nothing spectacular, and the only major problem I can see so far is the over reliance on potions. It seems nigh impossible to defeat even a single enemy without drinking a potion or two. Even in the 'tutorial' dungeon you're going to get poisoned after every attack which will necessitate drinking an antidote.

1: A turn and party based rpg where the player characters exist as an inseparable amorphous blob.
odio ergo sum
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

I've been playing Dishonored and Borderlands 2 (in offline mode due to shared internet :( ).
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Wow... dead thread 0_o

I've dabbled a bit in Divinity: Original Sin... definitely surprised me with how good it was.
It are good days for RPG fans of old... no more stupid handholding or questmarker. And there was much rejoicing!
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

I'm toying with playing that. I've been a kickstarter backer of D:OS since like, forever (I really quite enjoyed the DII: dragon knight game, and when I read that larian were planning to do things like "cast spell of stupidity, enemy stands in lava because 'ooh shiny'.." I was pretty much sold).

...but I kinda want to wait until it's out of beta (never enough time, thus my beta-testing time-budget is kept in reserve for "things made by Jonas"). Would you say I'd be better off waiting, or should I just wade in?
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

DDL wrote:I'm toying with playing that. I've been a kickstarter backer of D:OS since like, forever (I really quite enjoyed the DII: dragon knight game, and when I read that larian were planning to do things like "cast spell of stupidity, enemy stands in lava because 'ooh shiny'.." I was pretty much sold).

...but I kinda want to wait until it's out of beta (never enough time, thus my beta-testing time-budget is kept in reserve for "things made by Jonas"). Would you say I'd be better off waiting, or should I just wade in?
Yeah, I'm waiting too. I have decided I'd rather play finished games than betas. Definitely glad I backed it though.

Dis thread's bene a bit dead but ok. I've been playing Dark souls(so good!), creeper world 3(pretty good) and Infinity wars, which is this newfangled digital TCG which has a lot of cool mechanics and blows hearthstone and duel of champions out of the water in almost every respect. Oh and FTL got a free expansion which I've been toying around with lately.
odio ergo sum
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Completed Dark Souls 2. Good game, do recommend. Better mechanically-speaking than DS1, but the level design isn't as good (but still good).

Not been playing much else recently, though I was addicted to Doom for a while some time ago. Addicted to a game from 1993! And it's all because of Brutal Doom and various other mods. Very enjoyable. I never got addicted to Doom back when it was my first FPS all those years ago, but now it's on another level.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

They're releasing an updated version of Age of Mythology on Steam. That was such a fantastic game back in the day, much prefered it over Age of Empires.

I also really want Prison Architect; looks so good.

Did anyone play Banished?
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Cybernetic pig wrote:Completed Dark Souls 2. Good game, do recommend. Better mechanically-speaking than DS1, but the level design isn't as good (but still good).
It'll be out soon on the proper platform. :)
odio ergo sum
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Jaedar wrote:
Cybernetic pig wrote:Completed Dark Souls 2. Good game, do recommend. Better mechanically-speaking than DS1, but the level design isn't as good (but still good).
Indeed PC is superior, but DS is a console game at heart (Japanese masochistic console game, just like the good old days), and a pad is probably a more ideal method of control input since you need good movement ability and WASD isn't quite adequate.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Cybernetic pig wrote:
Jaedar wrote:
Indeed PC is superior, but DS is a console game at heart (Japanese masochistic console game, just like the good old days), and a pad is probably a more ideal method of control input since you need good movement ability and WASD isn't quite adequate.
This is just something I have never bought. WASD provides an angular resolution of 45 degrees, which is pretty bad, but since you have full control of the camera anyway it doesn't matter much imo.

I wonder what the angular resolution on a control stick is.
odio ergo sum