What are you playing?

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jane_Denton
X-51

Re: What are you playing?

Post by Jane_Denton »

JayBirdSupreme wrote:Okay, maybe "generic" wasn't really the best word to use. I wasn't trying to say that they're not classics. I was only asking if they are games that I should get around to playing. Should I?
I bought my Fallout 1, and 2 together in a double jewel case for dirt cheap... and that was awhile ago. So it'd be as cheap as I got it or cheaper so what would it hurt. You wouldn't be out a lot of money... and you'd love it anyway! :mrgreen:
Who we are is but a stepping stone to what we can become...
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Fallout 1 is an awesome game imo, the second one , not so much. Still good, but not awesome.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Kman
Thug

Post by Kman »

I'm currently playing:
Deus Ex
TNM
Fallout 2
UFC: Undisputed
and Call of Cthulhu: Dark corners of the earth.

Edit: Really Jaedar? I think Fallout 2 is pretty good so far, I just finished Fallout 1 about 3 months ago and decided to play Fallout 2 a month later. Its ridiculously hard in the beginning but once you get a good weapon, some companions and armor, its alot easier and funner. Oh and damn that pariah dog, damn it to HELL.
"Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, ever, cut a deal with a dragon."
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Fallout 2... my opinion may be tainted by the last boss, whom I never managed to kill, and every attempt would end with everyone running out of ammo, and then an epic stalemate. The original is just sooo much better.
odio ergo sum
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Fallout 2 has some really shitty environment design for the second half or so of the game, and they were trying way too hard to go for shock value over creating an honest, legitimate feeling questline. FUCK A CHICK, GET IN A SHOTGUN MARRIAGE, THEN PIMP HER ASS ON THE STREET HELL YEA (this is a paraphrase of something that was actually on the game's box, with a sticker over the pimping part because stores balked at that being advertised where children could read it or something)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Jaedar wrote:Fallout 2... my opinion may be tainted by the last boss, whom I never managed to kill, and every attempt would end with everyone running out of ammo, and then an epic stalemate.
You mean Horrigan, right? Did you recruit Granite's squad and activate the turrets?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jonas wrote:
Jaedar wrote:Fallout 2... my opinion may be tainted by the last boss, whom I never managed to kill, and every attempt would end with everyone running out of ammo, and then an epic stalemate.
You mean Horrigan, right? Did you recruit Granite's squad and activate the turrets?
Yes, and Yes. And I spend the entire battle pounding him with my Gauss Rifle (with 95% hit chance in all his body parts)... still doesn't help.
odio ergo sum
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

I just started a game of Fallout using Dosbox, unfortunately once I run out of the vault into the direct sunlight I get some graphical corruption :(

Maybe I'll try again...
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Fuck me, I just stayed up until 2AM playing Daggerfall, lost and bewildered in a dungeon full of the undead, necromancers, and daedroth. Took me nearly four hours to finally find the exit, I didn't even notice how late it was.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jetsetlemming wrote:Fuck me, I just stayed up until 2AM playing Daggerfall, lost and bewildered in a dungeon full of the undead, necromancers, and daedroth. Took me nearly four hours to finally find the exit, I didn't even notice how late it was.
Is it that good?
odio ergo sum
Fulgrymm
UNATCO

Post by Fulgrymm »

Yes it is. It's also unforgivingly difficult. I had to save at least a dozen times in the starting dungeon alone before I made it out of there alive. It's a very huge game though, I can already tell I'm going to spend months, probably years, playing before I complete it.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Jaedar wrote:
Jetsetlemming wrote:Fuck me, I just stayed up until 2AM playing Daggerfall, lost and bewildered in a dungeon full of the undead, necromancers, and daedroth. Took me nearly four hours to finally find the exit, I didn't even notice how late it was.
Is it that good?
1) Are you willing to put up with setting up a game through DOSBox and troubleshooting emulation issues?
2) Are you forgiving to old graphics?
3) Do you love dungeon crawling?
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

1 and 2 are yes... 3 depends entirely on the quality of said dungeons and the gameplay of said crawls :D
odio ergo sum
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Tales of Monkey Island.

And it's fantastic. Every bit as good as the rest of the series. Anyone who likes Monkey Island has to play it.
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

I mostly play the same games over and over and over again, because:

1: I have no money
2: Most modern games I can beat and get tired of in 2-3 days.

Currently I've been playing these off and on:

Oblivion(Mods do a lot for it, especially Integration. If TNM is the best Deus Ex mod then Integration is the best Oblivion mod.... in my opinion.)
Daggerfall (Cause it's free, I'm not very fond of randomness and huge dungeon crawls though :( )
Hitman: Blood Money (Only when I feel like killing people)
Grand theft auto San Andreas Multi Player (Similar reasons as Blood Money)

Red Faction: Guerrilla.
On my brother's Xbox360... I beat it in 2 days, and now I'm kind of bored of it... I kind of wish they used destroying things as a tactical approach more often in the game, and had it be more effective.... Like in the very beginning of the game you're told to set remote mines on a bridge and wait until reenforcements come driving in and drop the bridge on them. I did that, and it had no real effect on hurting them or stopping them. Then as they got closer I just threw mines on their cars and blew them up. "Mission accomplished!"

Which is basically how most of the game went: "Go here, kill everything that gets in your way, and then blow up this thing." Some missions along the lines of: "Blow up this bridge as a convoy of 200 crosses it", or "Topple this huge building onto the heavily defended EDF base", etc. would have been a bit more enjoyable. I mean sure you could get strategic in some of the missions but most of the time it was very straight forward. Rush in, killing everything while setting explosives around the key building and getting your ass the hell out of there before 4-12 enemies suddenly respawn out of thin air.