What are you playing?

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

bobby 55
Illuminati

Re: What are you playing?

Post by bobby 55 »

Paul1290 wrote:I had to play The Void with a lower difficulty patch. The game is quite unforgiving and isn't afraid to let you slowly lose over a long period of time.

That said it is a really nice game. I should re-play it one of these days.
I got it super cheap from a Steam sale, after Jaedar recommended it. It and about ten other games are sitting unplayed. Now when I eventually have a decent rig running there'll be an increased backlog with about half a dozen games from this year I want to buy. If I stop gaming now I'll save a fortune. Yeah, wealthy and bored shitless. :P
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Jaedar wrote:
Jetsetlemming wrote:
Jaedar wrote:
Jetsetlemming wrote:You can also use the donor glyph to drop color on the ground, luring fireflies towards it, and you can grab them for free color as well.
I am fairly certain they cover this in the "tutorial".

The Void is cool, perhaps I should also replay it one of these days.
It's entirely possible to miss parts of the tutorial though. The Brothers are introduced at a set time in the game's progression and anything that Eva hasn't taught you yet goes untaught.
First brother appears at cycle 5 iirc, fireflies appear at cycle 2. That's.... quite the window of opportunity imo.
The first firefly appears after you seed the bushes in the Reservation and then harvest them once. You're never told you can seed the bushes, only trees. I didn't notice you could seed bushes until way late in the game my first play.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Anachronox is now on sale at GOG. <3 <3
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Remember WAAAAY back when I said I worked with Paradox on a game and it should be available soon?
Well, this is soon time for Valve (yeah, good luck with Half Life (episode) 3, folks)...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/25990 ... uggest__13

Currently installing the The Old Republic demo, going to play that the next few days...
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hassat Hunter wrote:Well, this is soon time for Valve (yeah, good luck with Half Life (episode) 3, folks)...
What?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Majesty eh? I remember playing the demo for that when I was a kid.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Just got the new Syndicate, and besides that the genre is wrong I'm kinda excited to play it soon :)

Did anyone play it yet?
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

No, but it's on my list.

Jeez, my backlog is getting kind of uncomfortably large. I just sold my old laptop to a friend for new copies of Mass Effect 3 and AssCreed: Revelations, but I never finished Amalur and now I've started on L. A. Noire. I also need to pick up Thief 2 and Anachronox on GoG.

Since I actually have a job now, which I'm really damn keen on keeping, it's gonna take me ages to work through them all. Kind of a luxury problem, I guess, but a problem none-the-less.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Jonas wrote:No, but it's on my list.

Jeez, my backlog is getting kind of uncomfortably large. I just sold my old laptop to a friend for new copies of Mass Effect 3 and AssCreed: Revelations, but I never finished Amalur and now I've started on L. A. Noire. I also need to pick up Thief 2 and Anachronox on GoG.

Since I actually have a job now, which I'm really damn keen on keeping, it's gonna take me ages to work through them all. Kind of a luxury problem, I guess, but a problem none-the-less.

Yeah, Anachronox and both Thiefs from GoG for me.....soonish.

Well done on the job, I'll assume it's in the gaming industry. Working provides more money to buy games and less time to play them. I'd prefer to be working than not just the same.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Jonas wrote:take me ages to work through them all. Kind of a luxury problem, I guess, but a problem none-the-less.
Welcome to my world :mrgreen:
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
shadowblade34
MJ12

Post by shadowblade34 »

At least you guys are earning money, the only reason I can't play games is is because of school and studying.

Anway, I've picked up Gotham City Imposter to play when I do have the time, it's rather enjoyable and I'm hoping to complete Max Payne 1 in a few days and then start Max Payne 2 to clear some games off my backlog.
What the heck are you looking at my signature for?Read my blog
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Doom the roguelike.

It's really cool. Certainly more fun than dungeons of dredmoor. Really cool music too(it's the doom soundtrack). I can't imagine playing the ascii version, but the graphics are quite nice and detailed.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

bobby 55 wrote:Well done on the job, I'll assume it's in the gaming industry. Working provides more money to buy games and less time to play them. I'd prefer to be working than not just the same.
Thanks. Yeah I'm a game designer at Playdead, the studio that made Limbo. At least for a month, but here's hoping they'll hire me when the trial period is over - at least I'm getting paid all right for the month, and I'm learning some things (one thing I'm learning is how similar DADIU's projects are to professional game development in relatively small studios, Playdead is only about 50% larger than the DADIU productions I've been on, and the process seems really similar, just with a deadline one year out instead of a month).

On that note, I guess I'm playing "Game 2". It's a spiritual sequel to Limbo, but in 3D and with colour. Not sure how much more I should say - they haven't made me sign anything, but Danish law protects them none-the-less, and if nothing else I really fucking want to keep the job :mrgreen:

BUT! Back on topic

I played Journey on the PS3 yesterday. I find it to be severely overpriced for a game that took me 2 hours to play through, but it was never-the-less a highly captivating experience that I expect to return to a couple of times. I totally ignored trophies the first time through, which I definitely think is how one should play Journey the first time, but they'll provide good motivation to come back to the game and spend some more time there.

The multiplayer is in the Demon's Souls vein of the game pulling random people into your game while you're playing, but whereas in Demon's Souls they come to kill you and steal your body, in Journey they just kind of tag along and you can recharge each other's jump power by touching. Because there is no character customisation and the only form of communication is a sort of instrumental singing you can make your character do when you press a button, there is literally nothing other players can do to not fit into your game.

In fact Journey provided what I think is the best multiplayer moment I've ever had if I don't count the dungeon mastered NWN campaigns I used to participate in back in the day. I had reached a stealth section where you need to go from shelter to shelter to avoid the gaze of these flying monsters that tear you apart and permanently reduce your jumping power if they spot you. Another player had been pulled into my game and we were following each other through this section, which is of course pretty tricky when no verbal coordination is possible - we just kind of had to read each other's movements and try to anticipate each other. It went extremely well - like myself, I could tell he'd made it through the last section with all his jumping power intact, so he clearly had this stealth thing under control. At the end of the section, just before the finish, we accidentally split up when we could go either left or right to the second to last shelter.

So we're standing in different shelters, pretty far from each other, with a long stretch for both of us to the last piece of shelter before the finish... and he leaves his shelter too soon. Juuuust exactly too soon, I'm looking at him go and I can see the spotlight from this giant flying monster coming up behind him, and I can tell he's not gonna make it. And I'm shouting at the screen. And it catches him out just a few meters in front of the shelter, so he makes it in. And I think... did he make it? Is it going to go away? But it keeps its light fixed on where he's hiding, then it moves backwards, and then it fucking SWOOPS down and completely obliterates his shelter, sending him flying. I think the server just shunts him out of my game when he gets "eaten", so all I see is him getting destroyed by this giant monster. You bet your ass I took the time to let the next monster pass over my shelter before I made a run for the finish, and I got there in one piece.

So that was awesome.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Jonas wrote:
bobby 55 wrote:Well done on the job
Thanks. Yeah I'm a game designer at Playdead, the studio that made Limbo. At least for a month, but here's hoping they'll hire me when the trial period is over
Cool, I hope that works out for you. In a month's a time I hope you're fully employed and I have a decent PC so that I can actually contribute to "What are you playing?"
Zaine
UNATCO

Post by Zaine »

Mass Effect 1-3
I recently finished 3 and now im starting all over again.
You Will Regret This!