Deus Ex: Substance (Working Title)

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Neat idea, but I'm going to have to be the realist and point out that if it took us 4 years to make a sizable mod *using* Deus Ex, it'll take them 20 to recreate the game.
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

he's right u know...
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

Yeah, I hope even they realize they've thought up one hell of a pipedream idea...

I'll do myself a favor and put all my effort towards waiting for HDTP and TNM :P
Ajare
MJ12

Post by Ajare »

I'm normally pretty sceptical about these things, too. But having said that...no, I'm just too sceptical about this. And by that, TBH, I mean I'm not even giving this another thought.
Whisperblade
NSF

Post by Whisperblade »

I think if valve joined in it could take, oh only 3 years, maybe 4.

While source is freindly the maps in DX are way too large for it, my compy would eject its ram through its vents if I even tried this.
50x50? Why bother with an avatar?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Whisperblade wrote:my compy would eject its ram through its vents if I even tried this.
Hahahahah, nice image.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
dirty harry
Thug

Post by dirty harry »

"which in our opinion will improve gameplay with destroying the original feel of the game."
lol read that line carefully, one word i think they didnt mean to write :D

Ive seen another mod hoping to do the same thing with the UT2004 engine. Personally, i think its a waste of time, it will probably die very soon. (not being cruel, just stating facts) :)
I dont think the source engine is a great engine to recreate the game anyway, doom 3 or quake 4 engine would be better. Hard shadows and generaly a spooky look to anything and everything.

I dunno it just seems to me that they are trying to say:
"we love DX much more than anyone else" :D
"I spill, my drink!"
Whisperblade
NSF

Post by Whisperblade »

The Doom3 engine is even WORSE.
Stop scaring my compy, STOP IT.
50x50? Why bother with an avatar?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I think they should've just waited for Unreal 2007 to come out and make the mod for that!
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

wasn't the UT2004 Deus Ex Imperator.. Its on MODDB, their new JCDenton looks shit! he's got the wrong face and build. Personally, as i stated once before, Use the Fallout 3 engine when its finnished because it is probably the most powerfull RPG system that'll be out for the next 4-6 years. (oblivion dosen't support guns.. thats why Fallout3 is more appropriate) But given that no one knows what Fallout3 looks like... we'll have to assume its a Post-apocolyptic Oblivion..

It's probably my number1 choice for a DX mod due to the indepth RPG FPS elements.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

lol... they are the exact same project!

It was Interum Orior that i was refering to.

Yeah turns out, these stupid idiots failed once with UT and so Gizmo took over (solo i might add) and tried to convert it to source (Good luck)

I bet it goes dead in a few weeks, from the sounds of things he's funding it personally... Don't go filing bankruptsy now... ;)

Waste of perfectly good time and effort. HDTP will be finnsihed before he ever gets anywhere.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:Use the Fallout 3 engine when its finnished
I'm all for making some mods for real RPGs set in the Deus Ex world and possibly even featuring some familiar faces from the game, but if you're going to actually re-create the story of DX, it'd be kinda stupid to change the way the entire game basically works.

Fallout 3 would quite likely (unless the devs have decided to turn the damn game into an FPS because RPG's don't sell well enough) be a hard core RPG like it's predecessors. Deus Ex is not a hard core RPG, it's a tactical FPS which has RPG elements to create an element of cyberpunk simulation. It would be quite inappropriate to recreate DX's story in a whole different genre.

But like I said, I would definitely applaud anybody who makes new stories in DX's world and preferably within its continuity for a true RPG game. Imagine creating a party of grizzled rebels carrying out operations against MJ12 facilities :o

I'm starting to rather like this idea...
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

that was kinda what i had figured Fallout3 was good for. Your mod ideas sound interesting.

I would give anything to see something like Cyberpunk 2020 only as a Game and Deus Ex's enviroment and storyline. Using fallout 3, it would be very very easy to move from a post-apocolyptic envrionment to a Cyberpunk environment due to the very large similarities..

I say, if we get HDTP finnished before then. I'd join ya cause that would be fun as..
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

We'd need a programmer good enough to implement mechanical and nanotechnological augmentations, and we'd need a modeller capable of recreating the DX weapons and items, or even import them from the old game, preferably after some visual improvements. We'd also need level designers and probably some artists. And depending on the character customization options, we might even need a character animator.

Of course the scope of the project would largely depend on how similar the chosen game is to Deus Ex, I really wouldn't want to get involved in anything too huge too soon after TNM.

Are we even SURE Fallout 3 is still in development? I remember hearing it'd been cancelled when Black Isle shut down, what happened after that?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Bethesda Soft took it over after black isle shut down. They've shedeuld the project to start after Oblivion comes out. its based on the same technology and will be 100% FPS. (I remember the term, oblivion with guns comes to mind)

I'd join the project as an artist if you needed one.