Taste It... It's Technical

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

but no RPG.. Inverntory ect.
CadeF
Thug

Post by CadeF »

Inventory, probably, rpg, probably not. It's too much work to get conversations and missions out of Deus Ex.
Dragon
Silhouette

Post by Dragon »

what exactly is the final aim? only improving the rendering part of the engine ( and collision part as you mentioned ) or improving the entire engine ( hence including sound and what not else )?
Leader and Head Programmer: Epsylon, Drag[en]gine Game Engine (Alt-Page) and others
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Shadowtruth wrote: is this a new render for deus ex?
There's already an updated OpenGL renderer available. It looks like this is an entirely new engine that will replace DeusEx.exe and use the content files that Deus Ex used. It seems it won't be a complete replacement-
CadeF wrote:It's too much work to get conversations and missions out of Deus Ex.
Ah, that's too bad. I would certainly have liked to have seen Deus Ex "opened up" so to speak, for the community. HDTP will update the textures, and that'll make a huge difference but the game lags behind the times greatly. A new engine could mean great new modifications, a new and better sound system (AC3 etc), ongoing updates to Deus Ex and easy ports to other platforms (winlib, whatever). Depending on how far the new engine goes, perhaps the community could pick up where it gets left off (open source, gods willing).

I'm a complete outsider to game modding (and engine writing), so please excuse any misunderstandings.
Big-P wrote:He's about to hit a chestnut tree
Remember that song?
Remember it? It's track 11 "Meet the Flintstones" off the album "Go Simpsonic with the Simpsons". You should pay for it, and not pirate it off of P2P like eD2k/eMule, where for example it has 32 sources at 128kbps or 7 sources in MPC format.
Ajare
MJ12

Post by Ajare »

Hey, this is good stuff, especially given your age (hope that doesn't come over as patronising). I used to do realtime 3d as a job but gave up on it a few years ago, so I'm rather out of the loop with regards the cutting edge. I do hear though that BSP is on its way out - what are you using instead?
justanotherfan wrote: I'm a complete outsider to game modding (and engine writing), so please excuse any misunderstandings.
Well, your basic misunderstanding is the amount of effort required to write an entire game engine :). I'm of the opinion that anyone who can do that really ought to making their own game, rather than remaking another.
CadeF
Thug

Post by CadeF »

My final aim, is to get a game engine up and running, not related to Deus Ex. However, scince it supports Unreal .t3d maps, Unreal info .t3d maps and exported meshes, Deus Ex maps (and some other games) can be loaded into it.

I use BSPs for collision detection and Octrees for visibility culling.
Dragon
Silhouette

Post by Dragon »

@Ajare:
BSPs are not outdated. they are best used for closed environments ( or portal based systems ) but for large open fields they are inadequate.
Leader and Head Programmer: Epsylon, Drag[en]gine Game Engine (Alt-Page) and others
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Ajare wrote:Well, your basic misunderstanding is the amount of effort required to write an entire game engine :). I'm of the opinion that anyone who can do that really ought to making their own game, rather than remaking another.
Yeah, I was surprised to see what was already there, I probably just thought there was more done than there is.

Engines are hard to program, extremely complex, lots of work. It's why I'm surprised someone would write an entire new engine compatible with Deus Ex and not to make it a drop-in replacement when there are open source engines like Cube or cheap engines like Torque available.
Ajare
MJ12

Post by Ajare »

Dragon wrote:@Ajare:
BSPs are not outdated. they are best used for closed environments ( or portal based systems ) but for large open fields they are inadequate.
In the past, certainly. But from what I've been reading they seem to be being superceded for indoor environments, too.
CadeF
Thug

Post by CadeF »

I'm using LUA for scripting and ODE for rigid body physics.

Some new screenshots here -> http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums ... _id=380495
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Ajare wrote:Hey, this is good stuff, especially given your age (hope that doesn't come over as patronising). I used to do realtime 3d as a job but gave up on it a few years ago, so I'm rather out of the loop with regards the cutting edge. I do hear though that BSP is on its way out - what are you using instead?
BSP is very much in. UT2007 still relies on it, although no where near as much as before. If you go into most UT2004 maps and turn static mesh's off - very little is left. But games such as Half Life 2 rely heavily on BSP.
Holly
Thug

Re: Taste It... It's Technical

Post by Holly »

Discover the best of the best with Salon Price List's curated list of top rated hair salons near me. Whether you're in need of a trim, color, or style transformation, Salon Price List has you covered with their comprehensive directory of top rated hair salons.
jubalhenry
UNATCO

Post by jubalhenry »

Typical Site features distinct remarks, caterers so that you can diverse pastimes. It has the subject material ranges out of chosen lifestyle so that you can know-how, providing an entire audience. A blog's variety fosters involvement plus really encourages survey. By using a selection of themes, Typical Site remains to be your go-to stand to get enlightening plus compelling subject material. https://yohandry.com
zirdukukko
UNATCO

Post by zirdukukko »

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me. forex robot
zirdukukko
UNATCO

Post by zirdukukko »

I really loved reading your blog. It was very well authored and easy to understand. Unlike other blogs I have read which are really not that good.Thanks alot! forex robot