Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Metche Steel

Post by Jonas »

What you're suggesting is something like BMS for Deus Ex, correct? Well first of all, that's not possible: Deus Ex 3 will not use the Unreal Engine. That means everything will have to be recreated from scratch. And then it's very very relevant how much gameplay code you have to port over - Half-Life 2 even has the same bloody GUI as Half-Life 1. They're getting so much for free thanks to how similar those two games are. Deus Ex has very complicated gameplay, and it would all have to be recreated from scratch. That's what I'm saying.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
r00tb33r
MJ12

Post by r00tb33r »

Jonas wrote:What you're suggesting is something like BMS for Deus Ex, correct? Well first of all, that's not possible: Deus Ex 3 will not use the Unreal Engine. That means everything will have to be recreated from scratch. And then it's very very relevant how much gameplay code you have to port over - Half-Life 2 even has the same bloody GUI as Half-Life 1. They're getting so much for free thanks to how similar those two games are. Deus Ex has very complicated gameplay, and it would all have to be recreated from scratch. That's what I'm saying.
Well you don't have to blow your top about GUI or the conversation system, as that has already been done by the Reborn guy.
Most of the game script is already ported, as in from what I've heard you can already beat the game on unreal 2 engine. Just no NPC AI.
I was also suggesting that if even on Unreal 1 engine the levels were a little more high poly, you could use the original game script.
Anyway I suppose its pointless to discuss this further because there seems to be no one up to such enormous amount of work.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

r00tb33r wrote:Most of the game script is already ported, as in from what I've heard you can already beat the game on unreal 2 engine. Just no NPC AI.
Oh well good thing the DX AI isn't complicated at all and is written with such nice and and well structured code then.
Anyway I suppose its pointless to discuss this further because there seems to be no one up to such enormous amount of work.
No one who hasn't already put such an enormous amount of work into another project, you mean.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
r00tb33r
MJ12

Post by r00tb33r »

Jonas wrote:
r00tb33r wrote:Most of the game script is already ported, as in from what I've heard you can already beat the game on unreal 2 engine. Just no NPC AI.
Oh well good thing the DX AI isn't complicated at all and is written with such nice and and well structured code then.
Indeed. :lol:
Jonas wrote:
No one who hasn't already put such an enormous amount of work into another project, you mean.
Precisely. And I figure if anyone was up for it, it would have been started years ago, as Deus Ex was released in 2000 and Unreal 2 in 2003.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Should've mentioned this earlier, but there is actually a hard-coded cap on how complicated a level's geometry can be in the unreal version used for DX (and most probably all Unreal versions, since they barely use BSP anymore so probably never bothered to alter it).

You can construct the level, rebuild it, look around it from the editor windows and congratulate yourself on a job well done, but trying to PLAY the fucker will CTD you every time with an assert:maxpoints<65536 error.

Which is shit, but there you go. And several DX maps are getting into the maxpoints ballpark already, so there's not really anything you can do unless you shunt everything to a new engine.

And even with DXR, you're still working with BSP. BSP is not really what engines like to handle lots of anymore: "static meshes plzkthx, and lots of them" is the name of the game for most unreal stuffs, at least. Stuff built around a BSP mindset tends to translate poorly to an SM-based architecture, too.

Happily, meshes are essentially unrestricted regarding size/complexity, and geometric lightmapping scales to texture size, so replacing a 64^2 wall tex with a 1024^2 wall tex not only makes the texture look better, the lighting looks better.

So you know: it's a case of knowing which battles you CAN win, and fighting those.
r00tb33r
MJ12

Post by r00tb33r »

Ebenezer Grymm
Thug

Post by Ebenezer Grymm »

It's as done as it'll ever be baby ;)
Well then release the god damn thing already.

:)
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

Ebenezer Grymm wrote:

Needs packaging :)
Pointman
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by Pointman »

Don't forget to send me some uncompressed stuff, Metz - for localization purposes. Please.

As long as it's still NSIS-based, since I'm dumb.
pretending to be absent
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

NSIS is cool and simple. I always liked the bzip integration, and now they have LZMA. I'd think that the only thing needing localization would be any differences in localized Deus Ex versions....the installer should be easy otherwise since it comes with localizations.
DDL

Post by DDL »

pretty sure we're planning on open sourcing the whole dealio so peeps can do what they will with it all.

I think.

Either way, I'll be keeping an eye on things so that it's not just released and "there you go, you bastards, any complaints? LALALALALALALA"

Basically.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

DDL wrote:"there you go, you bastards, any complaints? LALALALALALALA"
You've been reading our .plan documents again, haven't you?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
r00tb33r
MJ12

Post by r00tb33r »

Ebenezer Grymm wrote:

word.
[-(
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

The thing is not damned by god, it is, if anything, blessed. How else do you explain how it managed to keep such talented people doing a job with so little thanks for so long?
r00tb33r
MJ12

Post by r00tb33r »

chris the cynic wrote:The thing is not damned by god, it is, if anything, blessed. How else do you explain how it managed to keep such talented people doing a job with so little thanks for so long?
I wonder the same thing... Sure this stuff is cool, but I still think it would be difficult to reignite the interest in someone who has completed the game ~20 times considering the fact that the overhaul is not complete.