Newbie Question :)

Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Whisperblade
NSF

Post by Whisperblade »

Dosen't 3Dmax cost money to buy/use fully?
BLENDER FTW!
50x50? Why bother with an avatar?
GamerX51
NSF

Post by GamerX51 »

Dosen't 3Dmax cost money to buy/use fully?
I did not commit software piracy, if that's what you're implying. :? I paid full price for my copy of 3DSMax.(I was just hired for a job at a computer graphics studio so I need the program for work.) I wish everyone would stop automatically assuming that I downloaded the program off a pirate site just because the damn program is so friggin' expensive!
If you're going through hell, then just keep going.
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

GamerX51 wrote:I did not commit software piracy, if that's what you're implying. :? I paid full price for my copy of 3DSMax.(I was just hired for a job at a computer graphics studio so I need the program for work.) I wish everyone would stop automatically assuming that I downloaded the program off a pirate site just because the damn program is so friggin' expensive!
Unfortunately, Gamer, many people who use expensive programs such as 3DSMax picked up the programs via some pirate site or torrent...we're not saying you don't legitimately own the program, you just happen to be guilty by association :?

Stereotypes are a bitch, aren't they? :x

Anyway, once you get your uber-1337 skillz developed, I'm sure HDTP could benefit from a few more modellers ;)
GamerX51
NSF

Post by GamerX51 »

Anyway, once you get your uber-1337 skillz developed, I'm sure HDTP could benefit from a few more modellers. ;)
Thanks Master_Kale. Sorry I got so worked up, but I really hate software pirates and I resent the notion that I would ever knowingly or willingly download anything those bastards steal! :evil: Anyway, I'll definately keep working at my modeling skills until I have something tangible to post on the forums, and then I'll leave you guys to decide for yourselves if I'm worth it or not! ;)
If you're going through hell, then just keep going.
ThalesA7X
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by ThalesA7X »

It is funny that he did not accuse you of being a pirate and you took immediate defense to it.

His post didn't even have the words:
pirate
download
steal
torrent

in it.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Or "Malaysia".

Er...where my copy definitely has never spent any time. No.
ThalesA7X
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by ThalesA7X »

I paid full price for 3ds and got a student discount for maya ;) $299 for maya is a damn good deal :D
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

ThalesA7X wrote:I paid full price for 3ds and got a student discount for maya ;) $299 for maya is a damn good deal :D
Still expensive as hell :?

Personally, I've been eyeballing Macromedia Studio 8; I'd go for the $300 Education Version, but I need it for commercial purposes so I have to purchase the $1000 version :cry:

I've been looking on Ebay, though, and there's a few good leads for around $700...its still a shiite load of money, but I need to purchase my OWN copy instead of using a...*ahem*...borrowed...copy :shock:
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

DDL wrote:Or "Malaysia".
Or eye-patch!

Yarr.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
XIRQ
Thug

Post by XIRQ »

It is sad that majority people resolve them self to pirated sw when it comes to programs like MAX, however, how else would typical student acquire multi -$1K copy of sw which is majority of time used for trivial applications like moding of PC games.
Just being honest about it...
:so:
?Excuse my English, I am just an ignorant European?
Whisperblade
NSF

Post by Whisperblade »

Well I'm stuck with blender for the while.
Secondly how the hell did you get "YOUR A PIRATE OH NOES 1!!!!!1"
out of my first post? I actually asked if it cost money.
50x50? Why bother with an avatar?
ThalesA7X
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by ThalesA7X »

I will take the immediate defensiveness as him having downloaded the program :P
Ajare
MJ12

Post by Ajare »

My suspicion is that companies like Autodesk don't care so much about casual pirates like modders, etc. 3DS-Max, for one, is totally out of their price bracket, and if they couldn't get it for free they'd have to use some other, cheaper software. If Autodesk can get every amateur modeller using Max, then they've basically cornered the market, and reap the reward when the amateurs become professionals. If they really cared, they'd put out a cut-price version.

I used to use a pirated version, but now have a proper one thanks to my job. You see, the system works! :D
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Wasn't G-Max exactly that? A student version to get people familiar with Max so they would license the full version on their company account once they went pro? I still don't understand why G-Max was discontinued, I'm glad I got it before that happened.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Ajare
MJ12

Post by Ajare »

Jonas wrote:Wasn't G-Max exactly that?
Mainly yeah, but it was free. It was discontinued because it was unpopular, and it was unpopular because it was crap, and it was crap because being free, they couldn't afford to support it well enough. ;)

More realistically, it was probably unpopular because people found it just as easy to get hold of the full thing. That and the very limited formats that you could save stuff to. Either way, it backfired on them. It would have been better to release a cutprice version which just kept the basic modelling toolset and maybe a few other things.