Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
AndrewOfHell
Thug

HDTP Steam Version

Post by AndrewOfHell »

Hello Off Topic Productions!

After completing Deus Ex (and being blown away i might add) i decided to check out the modding community for some cool upgrades, i already have Shifter and the OpenGL mod and i heard yours was the last mod of the famous trinity. Obviously it was disappointing when i discovered the mod is not compatible with the steam version, but you see i am purchasing my friend the RETAIL version of Deus Ex as a gift.

So all i need to do is copy the DeusEx.exe from HIS version and replace my Steam version with it. Or would some sort of problem occur such as verification or licenses?

Thanks,
Andrew.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Re: HDTP Steam Version

Post by bobby 55 »

AndrewOfHell wrote:Hello Off Topic Productions!

After completing Deus Ex (and being blown away i might add) i decided to check out the modding community for some cool upgrades, i already have Shifter and the OpenGL mod and i heard yours was the last mod of the famous trinity. Obviously it was disappointing when i discovered the mod is not compatible with the steam version, but you see i am purchasing my friend the RETAIL version of Deus Ex as a gift.

So all i need to do is copy the DeusEx.exe from HIS version and replace my Steam version with it. Or would some sort of problem occur such as verification or licenses?

Thanks,
Andrew.
Hi welcome to the forums. This may help.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1206&start=0
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

You Forgot the New Vision Mod ;)

And Yeah Welcome To The Forums :smile:
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
AndrewOfHell
Thug

Post by AndrewOfHell »

Interesting!

Would you say that this mod would be of a higher quality than the HDTP?
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

One modifies the textures, the other the models. They are made to work together, so use them together for the best effect.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

More precisely, HDTP aims to update the models and the textures of those models (so what was..say, a cube with a crate texture becomes a fully modelled crate with a nice crate texture), so that's characters, weapons, ammo, decorations, trees, so on. New Vision, on the other hand, aims to update all the level textures, i.e. walls, floors, signs, and so on.

They don't overlap at all, and thus work together perfectly.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Yess.. Lovely Lovely Sparky Deus Ex :mrgreen:

Mini Mod List Explanation :mrgreen:
Shifter - Gameplay Changes (Love This Mod)
HDTP - Like DDL And Hassat Said Before, Changes The Models (Can't Wait Till This Is Done :P )
New Vision - World Textures!! :mrgreen: (The Beta Is Out at about 60% Done i think.. And It looks amasing!!)

Another Mod you might wanna try is the Revision Mod :mrgreen:
But this one adds more environment to the game and makes some goals more harder to complete.
Its good for people who have played through Deus Ex soooooooooo many times that they need new maps and such. You might wanna leave this one for the time being until you played through Deus Ex couple of times :)
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

The not too-distant future of DX is looking bright, so I'm trying to stay away from fast or heavy machinery, people with guns, fatty foods, and high-value targets.

I'm sure to the annoyance of the moderators/administrators/owners here, I occasionally recommend downloading a clean backup copy of DeusEx.iso off of the internet if you have already paid for or otherwise own a copy or a licence to play it. Check the laws in your country (Hell should be lenient, AndrewOfHell). I see the Steam version as an illegitimate scion of the original version, but certainly a paid-for licence to play DX, so if Steam causes any trouble, I think it's a morally justified and fair option to play the original version.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

justanotherfan wrote:The not too-distant future of DX is looking bright, so I'm trying to stay away from fast or heavy machinery, people with guns, fatty foods, and high-value targets.

I'm sure to the annoyance of the moderators/administrators/owners here, I occasionally recommend downloading a clean backup copy of DeusEx.iso off of the internet if you have already paid for or otherwise own a copy or a licence to play it. Check the laws in your country (Hell should be lenient, AndrewOfHell). I see the Steam version as an illegitimate scion of the original version, but certainly a paid-for licence to play DX, so if Steam causes any trouble, I think it's a morally justified and fair option to play the original version.
Ha Nice Idea :smile:
mqduck
NSF

Post by mqduck »

I personally bought Deus Ex at least twice, though it's been so long since I had the physical medium that I don't even remember what it looks like. Pay for it or do whatever you need to to satisfy your conscience (send a check to a charity instead?), but then do yourself a favor and just download a GOTY ISO.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Yeah, I'd probably go with that too at this point in the game's age and distribution, but there's issues of legality, liability, and fairness too. There are people who would argue that after buying a boxed copy of Deus Ex, downloading an ISO of it off the internet is still illegal and even wrong. Come to think of it, Hell probably would have a DMCA. With the new digital distributions of modified old games causing issues, I'd still recommend circumventing the issues by also getting a clean copy. I think there's been a number of "piracy" discussions on the forum before.

That said, in my closet there's a full DX2 box and an intensely used & scratched DeusEx CD. Good thing I had a backup.
Nameless Voice
UNATCO

Post by Nameless Voice »

Why is your Deus Ex CD intensely used and scratched? Deus Ex doesn't even have real copy protection IIRC, and you'd hardly be uninstalling and reinstalling it often?
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Back then I didn't have the CD trick. DX requires the CD if you don't change the INI, so the CD sat on my desk a lot. Last I tried, it was still possible to backup my CD to a working image (with imaging software's error retry and correction), but installation would fail fairly often from the physical CD.

I do reinstall DX often. Lots of reformatting. It's not even on any of my computers ATM I think. I'm in the middle of the OS wars right now: System 7, MacOS 9, OSX86 10.6.2, Windows XP, Windows2003, and Linux Mint 8. Looks like Linux is winning, but I have so much legacy stuff to work on that it'll be a while.
Nameless Voice
UNATCO

Post by Nameless Voice »

Fair enough.
I don't think you need to install Deus Ex, either - you can just copy the installed game between installations. Between Windows installations, at least. I haven't tried it in other OSes.
AndrewOfHell
Thug

Post by AndrewOfHell »

Sorry to be troublesome again, but i snooped around in my newly acquired retail version of deusex and reaplced the steam version with the retail .exe file. Now i need to replace the steam HDTP.exe with the retail .exe but sadly i can not find this file anywhere in the files in the retail version. I saw that you could just change the parameters through steam but the instructions on the Steam HDTP page (bottom paragraph of link) are extremely baffling, can anyone help?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1206&start=0