Security Computer

Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

metche_steele wrote:get back on topic - the texture.

I'm going into admin mode so unless you wish to comment on the texture (all types of feedback acceptable so long as its backed up with a reason), then please refrain. I'll have to start deleting posts otherwise and I hate doing that ;)
Everyone, the On-Topic light is now on. Please refrain from flaming.

Thanks for commenting on my point though, ZB. I'm really happy with the added detail like the cool screen, the brand was the only thing that got me.
FabMan
Mole Person

Post by FabMan »

Okay, my first post on this forum though been stalking this mod and forum for a good while now.

As for this model, I like the way it looks and its style.

The keyboard layout is confusing and would probably irritate the users, however; since I won't interact with the interface it won't bother me in the slightest.

When the keyboard is up and the user is not interfacing, how would a user gain access to the terminal? There does not seem to be an open button or switch on. I suppose you could push the keyboard in and it would lower the keyboard itself.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

FabMan wrote: When the keyboard is up and the user is not interfacing, how would a user gain access to the terminal? There does not seem to be an open button or switch on. I suppose you could push the keyboard in and it would lower the keyboard itself.
Considering how slowly the security computer opens, I'd imagine it's some kind of automated opening thing. Your guess is probably right though, considering there's no visible switch or button.
fox
X-51

Post by fox »

I think you simply tip the surface and it opens automatically. More realistic would be if it'd use the entire surface as fingerprint-scanner or dna-analyzer to deny access for unauthorized personell - but it'd ruin the game.
ewanlaing
NSF

Post by ewanlaing »

isn't it like a cd player, where you push down on the top and the lid slowly raises up?
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

isn't it like a cd player, where you push down on the top and the lid slowly raises up?
Spring loaded. Might work.

There are two slots on the sides however, I think you pull it down using those.
ZylonBane
UNATCO

Post by ZylonBane »

fox wrote:I think you simply tip the surface and it opens automatically. More realistic would be if it'd use the entire surface as fingerprint-scanner or dna-analyzer to deny access for unauthorized personell
That would rather obviate the need to enter a name and password.
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

To open it, all you have to do is wave your club-hand at it.

I guess it seemed to have that slow opening thing...I'm thinking the word "hydraulic", but I don't know the mechanism, like a chamber that gets pressurized when closed but when nudged the pressure can slowly escape, opening the device. Whatever. I guess it is bad UI design on the part of the device's designer, but since the user doesn't interact with it other than the activate-mouse-button, there's no "user" to get confused by no "Open" button. Interesting point, maybe HDTP would want to fix things like that.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

but since the user doesn't interact with it other than the activate-mouse-button
Which means its not motion detected. Which means the user has to activate it to open it. I say we just say use the side bits to open the platform, you could quite easily use it like a laptop where you have to pull it open, all the automated stuff is a bit overkill.
More realistic would be if it'd use the entire surface as fingerprint-scanner or dna-analyzer to deny access for unauthorized personell
The surface is used to navigate the cameras and cursors. (as it looks like a touch pad you'd find on a laptop too). Besides the only place that uses biometrics is UNATCO I think. (the eye scanner, which is broken during your escape)
fox
X-51

Post by fox »

I meant the surface of the closed device which could be used as biometric sensor. With "realistic" I meant it in the sense of more effective security but you're right - it's overkill in the world of DX.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:
but since the user doesn't interact with it other than the activate-mouse-button
Which means its not motion detected. Which means the user has to activate it to open it. I say we just say use the side bits to open the platform, you could quite easily use it like a laptop where you have to pull it open, all the automated stuff is a bit overkill.
Yeah, I was joking at first in my post since whenever JC activates something, he sorta waves at it with his mitten-hands. Use the activate button near a mirror to see the animation. Everything in the game would be motion-detecting by that animation, but it's just a general-purpose "JC Does Something" animation. The original security panel had an opening animation of it's own (you could run meters away and hide, yet it would still open slowly), so I think it's either a small motor (like a CD-drive) or one of those pressure things (like on old patio doors to keep them closed or slow-moving). Maybe that animation is activated like a touch lamp (metal lamp, turns on when touched).
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

I doubt something that small would use hydraulics, pneumatics maybe, but hydraulics seems like overkill. If it used either the way that would make the most sense would be telescoping cylinders and we would see those. A much simpler system would be to have a fixed gear attached to the moving keyboard unit and a motorized gear in the main unit.

When told to open the motorized gear would turn, causing the keyboard to pivot and open downward. It could do this a preprogrammed amount or simply open until the changing position tripped a limit switch. Theoretically this could be done at any speed, but slower motion reduces wearing and has less potential to jostle the electronics.

When done the gear would move the other way, again either a preset amount or, more likely, until a limit switch was tripped.

As for how it would be told to open, the thing that makes most sense to me is touch, press gently and then it opens, similar to a CD case.

-

By the way, the question of why the screen was blue when the user interface was not has been brought up. I'm kind of surprised no one responded because the most obvious answer is, "because that's how it was in the original."
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Yeah, I don't understand the mechanism for those cylindrical things. It reminds me of the word hydraulics, but most likely I'm just wanting something more impressive and futuristic than a small motor.

Indeed, the original had a blue screen. I was thinking of another game's control panel, didn't have a screen. Text-entry must have been difficult on the original.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

justanotherfan wrote:Yeah, I don't understand the mechanism for those cylindrical things. It reminds me of the word hydraulics, but most likely I'm just wanting something more impressive and futuristic than a small motor.
Hydraulics use liquids, and pressures applied to those liquids, to move things. Or, said more eloquently, hydraulic machines use liquids to transmit force.

Pneumatics do similar things but with gasses instead of liquids. Because of the differences in the properties of gasses and liquids the mechanics are different, but a pneumatic cylinder looks like a hydraulic cylinder.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

I thin it'd be better to have it quickly fall and bounce up again, seems a bit more realistic (why would there be any kind of pneumatics or hydraulics on a small security monitor?)