Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
hammil
Mole Person

Idea

Post by hammil »

Yes, I have read all the other posts on this subject, and I know that DDL is veeery busy, but it's been, like 3 years since the last post on Moddb and I cant even find any relevant posts on these forums.

What I propose is that DDL or some other high-up guy uploads to the internet all the _raw_ material for the project. Textures, models, scripts etc. Anything and everything, so that some enterprising fellow could finish off what apparently little remains.

I really can't see any flaws with this, so I anxiously await your rebuttal...
metche
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Re: Idea

Post by metche »

Yeah ....all that hard work we'll throw away like paper money into the air for its dispersal round the internet.

There are only now 9 weapons left to rig/deploy back into Deux Ex and walah! The End.

There - an update. Which I can only give since I'm unemployed currently.
hammil
Mole Person

Post by hammil »

Yeah, that was the one flaw I hoped someone wouldn't think of.
Anyway, it worked: we have an update! :D
loony636
UNATCO

Post by loony636 »

DDL actually posted an update a few weeks ago. So if you'd actually looked a teeny tiny bit harder, you'd have found all of the "relevant posts" you wanted.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I still have /hdtp/ RSS subscribed, but I'll add the newer feeds2.feedburner.com/EmmersiveStudios RSS just in case. I think it's worth subscribing for when HDTP is thrown away for its dispersal around the internet.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

metche wrote:
:(
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
metche
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by metche »

Sorry didn't mean that to sound like a downer - I'm a happy bunny right now :)
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

metche wrote:Sorry didn't mean that to sound like a downer - I'm a happy bunny right now :)
Good stuff, I was made redundant last year but found another job within a couple of months so I sympathise with out of work people. :P
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

bobby 55 wrote:
metche wrote:
:(
I know how it feels all too well.

Peter Gabriel is my friend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJWurqWTeSk
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

9 weapons left? wow I thought it was going to take a lot longer than that. (last update we got you guys were still rigging the characters).
Why Ask?
Thug

Post by Why Ask? »

metche wrote:Yeah ....all that hard work we'll throw away like paper money into the air for its dispersal round the internet.

There are only now 9 weapons left to rig/deploy back into Deux Ex and walah! The End.
Sorry, but in what sense are you throwing your hard work away? Given that this is a purely aesthetic mod it doesn't make much sense to me why you and your team have decided to make it closed source. Perhaps some kind of repository managed by a small group (2-3 people?) would have fared better. Or, every now and then, you could have released a small set of unfinished material on which progress was slow to non-existent. At the very least it would have been an interesting experiment. Obviously the mod is too far along now to bother with this significant of a change, but you could still put the remaining 9 weapons online for someone to rig and place back into Deus Ex. You've said before that the project is stalled (mainly) because of one person's work commitments. Surely there is someone else out there with the skill set to finish the remaining work.

Edit: This post sounds a lot harsher than I intended it to be. Sorry for that, I didn't mean to make it sound like you had no basis for making the project closed source. Your response to the OP just puzzled me, that's all. I've always thought it'd be interesting to have mod teams open up more about their projects and have the community collaborate in a significant way, and mods such as these (graphics updates) seem to be the perfect candidate. For one thing there is no original story to be spoiled, and more importantly, the original materials in the game give a good guideline for what needs to be worked on and how the end result should look---thus making it far easier for a community to collaborate on than say an original mod.
Last edited by Why Ask? on Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nameless Voice
UNATCO

Post by Nameless Voice »

Why Ask? wrote:Surely there is someone else out there with the skill set to finish the remaining work.
That's the problem - they've already stated on numerous occasions that there isn't.
Why Ask?
Thug

Post by Why Ask? »

I have to say, I'm having a hard time buying that. Can you point to specifics? Why is no one but this one individual capable of finishing the remaining work? If someone with skills in that area needs to learn some things then they can. I think if you released the unfinished material online and publicize it a bit you'll find some people at least willing to learn what's needed of them. It's not going to magically happen and it might take a while for them to get adjusted, but will it hurt anything?
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Why Ask? wrote:I have to say, I'm having a hard time buying that. Can you point to specifics? Why is no one but this one individual capable of finishing the remaining work? If someone with skills in that area needs to learn some things then they can. I think if you released the unfinished material online and publicize it a bit you'll find some people at least willing to learn what's needed of them. It's not going to magically happen and it might take a while for them to get adjusted, but will it hurt anything?
Quality of Work perhaps?
And if only one person knows how to do it then imagine how long it would take to learn.
If someone of less experience was to do the final pieces then those said final pieces would be of lower quality compaired to the rest of the pack.
Whereas DDL must really know what he is doing and is putting alot of work into this, someone of less experience would not know how to do some of the more advanced parts of what was being done.
I have no idea what it is that is being done I'm just saying :)
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

nerdenstein wrote:
Why Ask? wrote:I have to say, I'm having a hard time buying that. Can you point to specifics? Why is no one but this one individual capable of finishing the remaining work? If someone with skills in that area needs to learn some things then they can. I think if you released the unfinished material online and publicize it a bit you'll find some people at least willing to learn what's needed of them. It's not going to magically happen and it might take a while for them to get adjusted, but will it hurt anything?
Quality of Work perhaps?
And if only one person knows how to do it then imagine how long it would take to learn.
If someone of less experience was to do the final pieces then those said final pieces would be of lower quality compaired to the rest of the pack.
Whereas DDL must really know what he is doing and is putting alot of work into this, someone of less experience would not know how to do some of the more advanced parts of what was being done.
I have no idea what it is that is being done I'm just saying :)
QFT

Also I'd be damned if I was to let someone else finish what has taken blood, sweat, and tears, but most importantly, a shitload of free time to accomplish.