time to shake Unreal 1 engine?

Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.

Is it time the project moved to Unreal 2 engine or higher?

yay
53%
nay
47%

Total votes: 17
r00tb33r
MJ12

time to shake Unreal 1 engine?

Post by r00tb33r »

I dont speak from or for the team... but the tools used right now limit the abilities... using the newer tool that doesnt create constraints would greatly improve the mod quality. as it appears right now, the team generates content that surpasses the quality that unreal 1 engine can handle. im sure everyone on the texturing and model making side of things will appreciate their work getting the "proper" exposure.
with that said, i love what yall do, and i would love to see it all in truly high definition as planned, done and released.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

It would make more sense to move

A)WHEN there's a working version of DX in a newer engine, and

B)when we've had a chance to leaf through the new version of the code to find any possible conflicts and problems

And really, I don't see either of those things happening before the end of the year, which is metche's cutoff point.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

I agree with DDL here.

Yes I'd love to see HDTP in action on DX:R, however, DX:R is not here yet. And will probably not be here before HDTP R2 hits the streets. But I'm confident that the DX:R team will do anything they can to include the HDTP models in DX:R. Only time will tell :)
Dead-eye
X-51

Post by Dead-eye »

errr... Last time a looked the Deus Ex R team was down to 2 guys one of them was working and happy having a socile life. And the other was discouraged by the huge amount of work he needed to do on his own. I really don't see DX:R coming out anytime soon unless the team leader get some more people.

So in my view moving to the new engine is a vary logical step in the right direction. I just don't see the point in working with this clumsy old technology made for computers that are 7 years old. Deus Ex is the best game ever made. It should be ported to the new engine as soon as possable.

Why are we hurting ourselves trying to make the 1 lagged dog play fetch when we know it can only play dead? The old unreal engine can only display so many polys on the screen, even if you got an Nvidea geforce 16000 you'll still have some bottle neck.

Also as I see it HDTP should have animated 3ds max files of the media that they made so the only thing that would be lost is the hours of time that was spent getting the models into Deus Ex. But just think of all the time ActorX will save you. A finished animated model takes about 3 minutes to put in UT2004. But it can take hours inside of Deus Ex.

I say we start working on the future. Now, who knows how to import Deus Ex to UT2004/2007? :lol:

edit: my bad looks like there are more people working on DXR that the last time I looked.
Last edited by Dead-eye on Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
r00tb33r
MJ12

Post by r00tb33r »

Dead-eye wrote:clumsy old technology made for computers that are 7 years old. :lol:
unreal 1 came out in '98... then the engine received a few updates with UT in 99... and a few times after.
im sure it was designed for at least 10 year old technology...
yeah sure i know that the project is just "high definition" and not engine porting... but do we get the true high definition without porting.
I would love to work on the project myself, as soon as i hit my 4 week winter break in december.
im a pretty worthless artist but im sure if it is down to stupid click and wait to export and import stuff between say new and old editor... i can put in a bit of hours.(as long as i am told how to do it)
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

There is already a lot of co-operation between the 3 projects DX:R, NV and HDTP.

The second I see DX:R 100% playing a Deus Ex level with all its functionality is the day I can officially say YES go ahead and port it. At present though its a we'll see. I'm hopeful that we will see DX:R working with HDTP and NV.. only it will look significantly better (due to the new technologies available to us)
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

No. Not supporting native Deus Ex but only making the project for the Deus Ex port into UT04? Badbadbad.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

It's only bad if you can't get a copy of UT2004.. which is actually quite easy these days given the UT collection. Meanwhile we might see DX:R on UT3, which will be even MORE easy to get :D
Andrievskaya Veronika
UNATCO

Post by Andrievskaya Veronika »

NO. Absolutely.
JC12
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by JC12 »

Surely it's not just popping everything out of one engine and into another?

I think (No sources to back me up and I'm not 100% certain), but isn't Deus Ex run in a RE-WRITTEN UTEngine? What with Conversations and upgrades and such coded in extra.

You lot probably know but it doesn't seem like you've taken this into account...
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

dxr.deusexgaming.com will do this. HDTP is a mod for Deus Ex.exe, and it is currently compatible. As HDTP completes it's work, it's still compatible, so there's no reason to break compatibility.

HDTP will be DXR compatible, so DeusEx.exe is simultaneously being supported and left behind for UE2.5. Both arguments are correct.
JC12
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by JC12 »

I was aware of HDTP, since I was working with them, but thanks. I get the idea now. :D

Hell'uva lot of work though!
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

N/P, it was a reply to the thread in general. Arguments like "The Sun is hot!" "No, the Sun is yellow!" bug me ;-)

It's always time to leave old technology behind. Deus Ex.exe is old and bad. As soon as it can be ditched, it will be.
Andrievskaya Veronika
UNATCO

Post by Andrievskaya Veronika »

justanotherfan wrote: It's always time to leave old technology behind. Deus Ex.exe is old and bad. As soon as it can be ditched, it will be.
I think such project (i.e. moving DX to newer engine) is absolutely useless. Who need that? No one! This is useless wasting of time.

Я с вас смеюсь.
Dead-eye
X-51

Post by Dead-eye »

Andrievskaya Veronika wrote:
I think such project (i.e. moving DX to newer engine) is absolutely useless. Who need that? No one! This is useless wasting of time.

Я с вас смеюсь.
Funny. You unfortunately don't understand the logic behind this conclusion, and sadly are unaware at just about how much this is an advantage to the community.

The engine for Deus Ex (speeching with about 4 years of experience) is extremely old. It is unable to do things that we as mod developers are used to doing in this modern era. And because of this we are resorted to use methods to make content that is EXTREMELY inefficient and slow. Also few software products made for developing content in video games uses this method of developing content because they were made/used in the game industry after the unreal 1 engine. (Example, Maya one of the most wildly used industry slandered 3d apps)
Also the old engine is limited in how much detail it can give you in visual affects. HDTP was founded on the principle that Deus Ex needed a modern day re-tune with a better look and feel, and sadly the unreal v1.0 engine is unable to support that.

When we move to Unreal V2.5 or v3.0 engine the moding development community will be able to produce far better content in less time, benefiting you (the player) with more content faster.

All in all you will be unable to tell the difference between the original Deus Ex and Deus Ex: Reborn. (except for physics and needing a copy of UT2004 that you can pick up at newegg.com) It will look a lot like Half life compared to Half Life: source. (except in later releases were it may look more like Project: Black Mesa compared to Half life, That you can opt out of if you don't like it) So I don't see what you have against it.

Edit: Oh and also I seem to have made an error. I should state that I mean the HDTP team should only worry about getting HDTP out, without the new characters. And start working on getting the characters into DX:R. I'm not saying there should be no HDTP package for DeusEx.exe but that the team should also start work on DX:R porting.