Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
paladin181
Thug

Looking forward to this

Post by paladin181 »

I've installed the HDTP release 1. Hard to believe that was all completed in 2006. LOOKS GREAT!! I'm eagerly anticipating this addition's completion. Don't worry though. I'm not here to bash you for donating your own time and effort so generously (just so that one of my favorite games of all time gets a free tune up) because it hasn't been done in what some would deem as a "timely manner." Rather I'm here to offer my support (morale, since you're not in need of team members or monetary contributions) and say that even though I eagerly anticipate this upgrade, I also patiently await your releases. You've done a GREAT job so far and I look forward to seeing the final product. THANK YOU for doing this for those of us lacking the skill, time or sheer determination to do it ourselves.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Re: Looking forward to this

Post by justanotherfan »

paladin181 wrote:Even though I eagerly anticipate this upgrade, I also patiently await your releases.
That's awesome. HDTP is hiding a little because of some aggressive trolls, but I think that's exactly the sentiment they'll want to hear.
Paul_cz
Mole Person

Post by Paul_cz »

I can't wait. I finished HR few days ago, started playing Deus Ex with New Vision+Shifter+DX Enhanced+DX10 rendered the same day.

I got to Hell's Kitchen...

And...I kind of do not want to continue, because the idea of playing with HDTP is too alluring. So I will wait :-).
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Dunno, they're "on the home stretch", but it's been a long while since I played an inning.

It's great to hear that HR is encouraging people to play the original. As long as everyone remembers DX1 is from the 20th century, and DX3 is from the 21st, I think they'll be pleasantly surprised. It's good that DX3 drives interest in DX1.

When you're done, if you're still having fun, consider trying it unmodified. Shifter makes many changes, and while we all want improved graphics, the old ones have some nerdy nostalgia. An octagonal basketball, oh Warren...
Paul_cz
Mole Person

Post by Paul_cz »

I actually finished DX1 unmodded, followed by DX2 (with patches/texture pack) 3 times already, last time about 4 years ago.

So now after HR I want to replay it again, and I started, but since DDL wrote they are on the home stretch I decided to wait.
The game isn't going anywhere :-).
Those vanilla models are really a bit too old.
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

justanotherfan wrote: It's great to hear that HR is encouraging people to play the original. As long as everyone remembers DX1 is from the 20th century, and DX3 is from the 21st, I think they'll be pleasantly surprised. It's good that DX3 drives interest in DX1.
I don't think it's necesarry to remember that DX is more than 10 years old now and HR isn't... Many people like DX better. Not just the self-proclaimed "hardcore" gamers or nostalgic gamers with a fondness (or fetish) for old games but also gamers who only discovered DX very recently.

I've been a bit too keen to point out I don't like HR, but if I look at it "objectively", DX is still a much more intresting and better game. HR has higher production values, DX has a better concept.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

gamer0004 wrote:DX is still a much more intresting and better game. HR has higher production values, DX has a better concept.
Interesting. But still, DX3 looks new and shiny, and DX1 looks like ass -- look at Adam, look at JC. DX1's contemporaries looked even worse at least. I think anyone coming from HR should expect oldness to get through to the goodness. HDTP/NV/Renderer/tricks will help, but DeusEx.exe is going to need initial patience from modern gamers.
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

paladin181 wrote:I've installed the HDTP release 1. Hard to believe that was all completed in 2006. LOOKS GREAT!! I'm eagerly anticipating this addition's completion. Don't worry though. I'm not here to bash you for donating your own time and effort so generously (just so that one of my favorite games of all time gets a free tune up) because it hasn't been done in what some would deem as a "timely manner." Rather I'm here to offer my support (morale, since you're not in need of team members or monetary contributions) and say that even though I eagerly anticipate this upgrade, I also patiently await your releases. You've done a GREAT job so far and I look forward to seeing the final product. THANK YOU for doing this for those of us lacking the skill, time or sheer determination to do it ourselves.
Totally agree with you, for something this good, its fine to wait, although I was wondering, since we can't have any new updated HDTP downloads until its finished, what about a few more screenshots of other finished models we have not seen yet?
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I'd like screenshots too. It would display development instead of argue it, and engage fans. I mentioned HDTP developers are hiding, and they are and they say so with "hunkering down" phrasings. I think it's trauma from when AlexD would create good work, post screenshots as HDTP without authorization, and became histrionic when the work was discussed & criticized (and met a single troll, to be fair). The result was provably fantastic improvement in that work, AlexD left, and I can't think of a screenshot since. I want to blame HDTP for taking an alienating path, but can't entirely. People are difficult, and it seems easier to make distance. If work gets done quietly, that's great, but then I can't blame the needy trolls entirely either.

IOW, good idea. I'd love a couple snaps of something cool too. Nothing touches trolls, but it'd intrigue fans.

disclaimer: I'm drunk, obviously.
SyntaxError
Thug

Post by SyntaxError »

Agreed, some screens would be nice. Even if showing models we already know, I would love to see them in-game.

There will of course always be people complaining, that's the way it is. Don't see why any modder should get upset about a couple of trolls.
Wokky
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Wokky »

Here's something I made back when I was working on HDTP:

Disclaimer: This may or may not still be in HDTP, I have no idea.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

See, now that's awesome. The original sword is a gray pointy stick, and that's a metal dragon sword. Great detail of the corners on the sword scratching and wearing.

To be fairer to AlexD (now that I have a headache), he had artistic inspiration for recreating the main characters, which didn't go over well when people saw Green Gunther and the Bride of Gunther. Also, there are weapons screenshots in 2009/8 that moddb hides off the main page.
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

justanotherfan wrote: Interesting. But still, DX3 looks new and shiny, and DX1 looks like ass -- look at Adam, look at JC. DX1's contemporaries looked even worse at least. I think anyone coming from HR should expect oldness to get through to the goodness. HDTP/NV/Renderer/tricks will help, but DeusEx.exe is going to need initial patience from modern gamers.
Yeah the awful graphics are a shock for new players, but as far as the gameplay goes, DX still kicks ass. A friend of mine is doing Game Art at university and he discovered the game only quite recently, but after some time he recognised the merits of the game, and he is now really into it.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I agree. The contemporary games are startlingly worse graphically too. UT wasn't bad, but I played through Messiah and Anachronox. Several times, I'd lose perspective on the graphics, or wouldn't be able to figure out what something was. DX graphics range from blah to embarrassing, but I don't remember doubting what an object represented.
Akerfeldt
UNATCO

Post by Akerfeldt »

justanotherfan wrote:To be fairer to AlexD (now that I have a headache), he had artistic inspiration for recreating the main characters, which didn't go over well when people saw Green Gunther and the Bride of Gunther.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you saying that artists don't all draw exactly the same way? That artists aren't all part of the fucking Borg, where every stroke of the pencil (stylus in this case) is determined by a hive mind? Holy shit.

Although I can totally understand that coming as a revelation to HDTPers. This is seriously the most trolled mod I've encountered. Actually it's the only trolled mod I've encountered. But I never expected so much of the audience to hate on his art.

Due to Sturgeon's law (90% of everything is shit) I've often gone to great lengths to be very discriminating and stay within that 10% safe zone of artistic/cultural things so I can avoid all contact with that 90% of the human race (the fucktards). So they can be idiots in their own social circles where they discuss how much they love everything that is shit and remain completely ignorant of everything that is good.

HDTP is the first time for me (except maybe politics) where these two worlds have collided for me. I don't know what it is about Deus Ex that appeals to the fucktards so much. I figured the sheer amount of text in the game alone would have made them delete their pirated copy of the game and go back to counter-strike. Even Warren Spector said that the words in the game were too poly-syllabic (I didn't see that as a bad thing but he did).

But anyway, Alex is a talented artist and I'm dedicated to animating those new characters well enough to do his work justice and I hope the fucktards play HDTP and hate every minute of it. I don't necessarily envy his ability to just say fuck everyone and leave but I can sympathize and from a cost/benefit analysis he made the right decision.
A hole is a hole.