Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Nice attempt at mockery Zylon, but I'd say flashlights ARE pretty common.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
ZylonBane
UNATCO

Post by ZylonBane »

Feh. You say "mockery", I say "percussive education".

Besides, he was talking about flashlight beams shooting out of peoples' eyes, not flashlights in general.
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

JC's vision is augmented. :3

Now, if we wanted to go total realism, we'd have the eye lights cast a shadow of JC's sunglasses in front of him. :P
Also, dynamic lighting in this engine works pretty (extremely) primitively. You can't see it, but your eye beams are casting light behind you, too. Dynamic light is simply a globe of brightness that lights up whatever it touches and cannot be blocked or shaped or pointed.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Well, let's not disregard the fact that, if we're applying realism to this: light shining out of your retinas would actually blind you instantly. If left on from more than a minute or so, this would blind you permanently.

So, hey: we're silly from the get-go, really. :)
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Jonas wrote:I think SWAT and similar units generally attach flashlights to their helmets. Obviously having your eyes light up is cooler.
More often than not it's built into their weapons. For CO19 in the UK, at least, all the MP5's have a flashlight bult into the front of the foregrip, and some G36's have it attached on the rail underneeth. I think it's the same for the SAS and SWAT as well.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

The master chief had a flashlight on his shoulder, IIRC.
ZylonBane
UNATCO

Post by ZylonBane »

DDL wrote:Well, let's not disregard the fact that, if we're applying realism to this: light shining out of your retinas would actually blind you instantly. If left on from more than a minute or so, this would blind you permanently.
And you base this statement on what, exactly? Any eye modified to emit light would presumably also be modified not to destroy itself in the process.

If I really, really had to fanwank an explanation, I'd suggest that the light aug doesn't cast continous beams, but rather operates in "half-duplex" mode-- switching between light-emitting and light-gathering mode at around 100Hz, with each eye perfectly out of phase with the other for effectively continuous illumination. This would circumvent the obvious problems with attempting to emit and gather light at the same time (flare, glare, photon interference, yadda yadda).
DDL

Post by DDL »

Yes, I guess that would work, if light emitters/receivers of sufficient quality could switch that fast without burning out. Getting it coherently focussed without internal reflections would be another matter entirely. Also, the asychronous thing probably wouldn't work, since you'd get too much stray light-scatter through the skull.

All of which is neither here nor there, since the thrust of my argument is now thus:

ZB, you really can't spend more than four seconds without coming across as an utter turd, can you?

:roll:

You'd think being hated by the vocal majority of the TTLG forums would maybe teach you something, but apparently not.

There are ways to voice opinions that don't immediately make everyone think you're a wanker, but you appear to know none of them, or simply choose not to employ any of them.

It's not difficult: give it a go.
Akerfeldt
UNATCO

Post by Akerfeldt »

How bout just one eye shining light :)

But yeah, the idea of an eyeball flashlight is pretty ghetto for a futuristic super-soldier. I mean even Sam Fisher has night vision and thermal vision from the get-go.
ZylonBane
UNATCO

Post by ZylonBane »

It's for striking terror into the hearts of your enemies.

GLOWING EYES! EEEK!
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

ZylonBane wrote:
DDL wrote:Well, let's not disregard the fact that, if we're applying realism to this: light shining out of your retinas would actually blind you instantly. If left on from more than a minute or so, this would blind you permanently.
And you base this statement on what, exactly? Any eye modified to emit light would presumably also be modified not to destroy itself in the process.

If I really, really had to fanwank an explanation, I'd suggest that the light aug doesn't cast continous beams, but rather operates in "half-duplex" mode-- switching between light-emitting and light-gathering mode at around 100Hz, with each eye perfectly out of phase with the other for effectively continuous illumination. This would circumvent the obvious problems with attempting to emit and gather light at the same time (flare, glare, photon interference, yadda yadda).
This of course doesn't explain how JC's eye lights can shine through his sunglasses, and the back of his head.
ZylonBane
UNATCO

Post by ZylonBane »

Jetsetlemming wrote:This of course doesn't explain how JC's eye lights can shine through his sunglasses
You do realize that sunglasses aren't opaque, yes?
and the back of his head.
. . .

What?
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

ZylonBane wrote:
and the back of his head.
. . .

What?
Yeah, I blame it on the physics depression of early 2020.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

DDL wrote:You'd think being hated by the vocal majority of the TTLG forums would maybe teach you something, but apparently not.
Anything he can do I can do better!
ZylonBane
UNATCO

Post by ZylonBane »

Nobody at TTLG hates you, Dave. They just think you're retarded.