Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
hayaku
Mole Person

Flashlight aug - Why no glowing eyes?

Post by hayaku »

Just a little suggestion for the new JC model.

It always bugged me that despite the in-game AUG description "Bioluminescent cells within the retina provide coherent illumination of the agent's field of view" kinda implying that JC's eyes were the direct source of the light, when you look into a mirror and turn the aug on nothing actually happens to his appearance.

What I suggest is an alternate animation for JC so when the aug is turned on, his eyes glow kinda electric-blue. Would also be good if you could make his eyes an actual light source too, so that his immediate vicinity is lit up, not just the patch the light beam happens to fall on. Though this second point is a bit of a stretch and maybe something more appropriate for Shifter.

What do you guys think? I cant imagine it would be massively difficult to implement, and would really make JC look cool when the flash aug is on!
fox
X-51

Post by fox »

May be it'd make more sense to think of it as a super strong cat's vision. I know that it is in color and all but flashlights? Common...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapetum_lucidum
hayaku
Mole Person

Post by hayaku »

fox wrote:May be it'd make more sense to think of it as a super strong cat's vision. I know that it is in color and all but flashlights? Common...
Ok, firstly no. If it were cats vision there would not simply be a spot of light on random surfaces, it would be effectively weak night vision. The game description even implies it is the projection of light as opposed to the internal magnification of it. Read "Bioluminescent cells within the retina" That means they produce light, not amplify it. Unless that light was directed outwards it would just prove as extreme light pollution and make things infinitely harder to see no easier.

Secondly, cats don't see in black and white, thats supposedly dogs, and even that has been scientifically disproved.

Now, under the assumption my interpretation of the in game technology is accurate, what do you actually think about my idea?
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

I do think your interpretation is correct, however, I don't really see any added value in having glowing eyes.

Since JC has sunglasses on, I think it's also fairly difficult to have it work properly.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Sorry, I fear I'll have to shoot this one down..

Firstly, as pointed out: you wear sunglasses, making alteration of the eye-appearance fairly pointless.

Secondly, making parts of a mesh unlit (a rather confusing term that means the mesh polys are effectively at max brightness irrespective of surrounding light) is tricky, and requires a separate texture slot. The JC model doesn't have a spare texture slot free, as far as I know.

Thirdly, it's not looking like we're going to be using the new JC model ANYWAY, at the moment, sadly.

And finally, as for illuminating your surrounding area: this already happens. Look in a mirror when you have the light aug on: there's the 'spotlight' beam placed wherever you're looking, and there's also a ring of light around yourself, too (a second beam stuck at the player's location).
hayaku
Mole Person

Post by hayaku »

Ok, fair enough that you shoot it down on technical grounds it was more or less what I was expecting.

However, as for the sunglasses part.... I did notice that when you engage the aug and look into the mirror you see what I can only describe as JC's 'stunning blue eyes' :) At first I actually thought it was the effect I suggested, only to later realise the blue eyes were actually always there, and they were now only noticeable not due to a change in texture or whatnot but simply because the presence of the flashlight aug was enabling the otherwise opaque sunglasses to take on more of a translucent effect.

I am not sure how this relates to the texture, ie if it was intended, coincidental, whether the sunglasses are just texture illusions or if they are actually physically translucent objects in front of the head texture that filters the light through the game engine. But still, with the new JC model being implemented I saw at least room for this to be improved apon a little. At the VERY least I would hope that the effect stayed the same. But as I said, assuming it was coincidental, that leaves enormous room for it to either be increased or reduced enormously with the new model. All I am asking is that, if possible, it is increased as much as will allow technically.

come on... think about it would you? Could be nice, after all!
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

The models were improved as much as possible, unfortunately there are difficulties like the one DDL pointed out above and also the model converter doesn't allow a modulated effect on textures, which is what the lenses used on the original JC model. In the end I had to make it completely opaque and enviromapped (reflective) for them to look like sunglasses.
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
fox
X-51

Post by fox »

You may be right with the flashlight-thing but I think this is a stupid Aug. I mean lightbeams out of your eyes? Why would this be worth an Aug? It's way too primitive and not stealth at all. Look what super-small and lightweight flashlights can do. Of course this could be simply the lack of AI but I don't think anybody else in the game recognizes or reacts the light. Something sophisticated like a strong cats vision would be much more appropriate, imo!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Who cares what'd be more appropriate, the flash light is how it was done in the game, and HDTP does not change that, and besides the JC model will never make it into DX anyway.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
fox
X-51

Post by fox »

I didn't care about it until this thread appeared. <_< I always thought about it the way it made the most sense for me but now my illusions got smashed. My whole world broke apart and I feel betrayed by each and everyone. Now I want to die. [-(
DDL

Post by DDL »

fox wrote:You may be right with the flashlight-thing but I think this is a stupid Aug. I mean lightbeams out of your eyes? Why would this be worth an Aug? It's way too primitive and not stealth at all. Look what super-small and lightweight flashlights can do. Of course this could be simply the lack of AI but I don't think anybody else in the game recognizes or reacts the light. Something sophisticated like a strong cats vision would be much more appropriate, imo!

Actually, the AI will react to the beam, and come a-hunting for you accordingly..the only problem is that they have to be alerted ALREADY to do this: a beam wandering around on its own with NO OBVIOUS SOURCE is apparently not worthy of mention, but as soon as they know a rogue nano-aug is in the vicinity, they pay more attention.

Anyway, remember: DX is a GAME. Not a realistic depiction of the world in 2052. Would infravision/light amp be more useful than a torch mounted in your eyesockets? Of course! But from a gameplay perspective, making you choose between IR/LA and a targeting aug makes things more interesting.

And a torch is always handy, in a pinch. Mounting it in your HEAD makes more sense than forcing you to attach a torch to every weapon, lockpick, medkit, candybar, soyfood, soda can etc that you might be using your hands for at any given time, right?
fox
X-51

Post by fox »

DDL wrote:Actually, the AI will react to the beam, and come a-hunting for you accordingly..the only problem is that they have to be alerted ALREADY to do this: a beam wandering around on its own with NO OBVIOUS SOURCE is apparently not worthy of mention, but as soon as they know a rogue nano-aug is in the vicinity, they pay more attention.
Oh, really? That makes sense but I've never noticed this effect. I'll have to try it out.
Anyway, remember: DX is a GAME.
Yeah, I don't want to die anymore - a little cutting will do.
And a torch is always handy, in a pinch. Mounting it in your HEAD makes more sense than forcing you to attach a torch to every weapon, lockpick, medkit, candybar, soyfood, soda can etc that you might be using your hands for at any given time, right?
Wouldn't have been necessary if the infravision works well enough. Could use the flares for those rare places that actually are pitchblack. However, as Jonas said: it's not important, since it won't be changed.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I think SWAT and similar units generally attach flashlights to their helmets. Obviously having your eyes light up is cooler.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
fox
X-51

Post by fox »

"I will never forget how I first met you, JC... your shiny eyes when I gave you my phone number."
"Oh that, yeah. I was so nervous...accidently switched them on. *lol*"
"I was blinded by your light!."
"It was light at first sight, baby!"
ZylonBane
UNATCO

Post by ZylonBane »

fox wrote:May be it'd make more sense to think of it as a super strong cat's vision. I know that it is in color and all but flashlights? Common...
Actually, it's not common at all. Come on...
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.