Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

ZylonBane wrote:
Jetsetlemming wrote:This of course doesn't explain how JC's eye lights can shine through his sunglasses
You do realize that sunglasses aren't opaque, yes?
and the back of his head.
. . .

What?
The frame isn't, and the light would be considerably dulled by the lenses, only at full brightness around the outer edges.
In Deus Ex, the light of JC's eyes creates an unblockable globe around him centered at his eyes that shines in all directions; including to the side and backwards. Dynamic lights only work as perfectly round globes in Unreal 1, and shines through everything.
Smike
Platypus

Post by Smike »

Zylon, Jonas, Dave, and DDL locked in a room reminds me of that scene in GalaxyQuest with the transported rock monster.

"It's the little things." : )

[For those of you who haven't seen it, please dance, then go to your roof and tell your cat that he needs to slim down for Hanukkah. Then place an olive in the center dividing line of a major street and paint it blue. Eat cake while you look at the olive for five hours and then mail a letter to your nearest politician telling him that you support legislation to increase the egg production of gray whales. When he writes you back to tell you that whales are mammals and do not lay eggs, ignore him and send the letter again. Also buy yourself some paaaaaaants! Some pantapantapantapaaaaannnnnntttsss!!!! BUT DON'T LET YOUR INCREDIBLY FAT CAT SEE YOU!!! BUYING THEM!!! AT THE marrrt. The marrrrrrrrrrrrt. IT WILL BE TOO AFRAID!!! Platypus.]
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Smike, I know you live in California, but you do realize art can be created without the assistance of hard drugs, right?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
fox
X-51

Post by fox »

So you think somebody under the influence of hard drugs is able to realize things like that?
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

ZylonBane wrote:Nobody at TTLG hates you, Dave. They just think you're retarded.
Oh, by no means am I bothered by being hated or people thinking I'm retarded. I like holding rational opinions.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Just for once I would appreciate it if somebody would be bothered by an entire community thinking they're an idiot. People not caring about stuff like that is probably the main reason the Internet is full of morons.

That being said, I sincerely doubt that everybody at TTLG thinks Snipa is a retard. Then again I haven't visited TTLG since I was scavenging for WIP Thief 3 mods.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Jonas wrote:Just for once I would appreciate it if somebody would be bothered by an entire community thinking they're an idiot. People not caring about stuff like that is probably the main reason the Internet is full of morons.

That being said, I sincerely doubt that everybody at TTLG thinks Snipa is a retard. Then again I haven't visited TTLG since I was scavenging for WIP Thief 3 mods.
I had no idea what TTLG was, so I googled it, and found it, and found that Ken Levine is an active poster. I was reading a thread accusing him of being vulgar and laughing my ass off at his response.

I have to wonder now if Levine thinks Snipa's a retard.
Hmm.
fox
X-51

Post by fox »

Jetsetlemming wrote:I was reading a thread accusing him of being vulgar and laughing my ass off at his response.
Let there be links. ;)
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

fox wrote:
Jetsetlemming wrote:I was reading a thread accusing him of being vulgar and laughing my ass off at his response.
Let there be links. ;)

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117350
"Vulgar Baboon?"

Nobody's ever called me anything that awesome. Thanks!
Oh, and for the benefit of the thread starter: FUCK YEAH! Bioshock is fucking Roxxorz, dude!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I love it how the OP tries to argue against the sales figures. There's like a million players and a horde of ecstatic reviewers to support the argument that Bioshock has successfully brought the FPS/RPG genre to the masses, and it's fine if you want to argue that Bioshock is a lot more FPS than RPG (which is true), but declaring that Bioshock is objectively a bad game seems a little arrogant.

I'm a big fan of RPG's and FPS/RPG's (obviously), and I really liked Bioshock. Sure it's not Deus Ex or System Shock 2, but it has other strengths.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

I've yet to get a chance to play Bioshock (No 360, and a weak PC :(), so I don't know how I'll find it. My gaming standards tend to be a wee bit forgiving of bad elements if the overall picture is good (Examples: I enjoyed Psychonauts' platforming, Deus Ex's graphics, and didn't mind Shadowman's or Chronicles of Riddick's repetitive environments, as they were part of overall fantastic gaming experiences), so I doubt I'll be joining the chorus of those bitching. I certainly would appreciate a proper RPG side ala system shock or deus ex to go with the FPS, however. If they release a Bioshock SDK (and they fucking should, it's an Unreal game, goddammit, it's not like it would be a hard accomplishment!), I'm sure someone will mod in RPG elements and an inventory screen and game over screen and require respawns to be activated, and everyone'll live happily ever after (If we've managed to forget about the stupid Securom additions).
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Jonas wrote:That being said, I sincerely doubt that everybody at TTLG thinks Snipa is a retard. Then again I haven't visited TTLG since I was scavenging for WIP Thief 3 mods.
As it is, I'm disliked (or thought of as a retard) because I defended my opinion after getting it attacked. Namely, I said I liked IW just as much as DX - and in a forum full of fanboys that is not a good idea as I found out in a stupidly long 13 page topic.

Constantly my opinion was misinterpreted such as a recent post "There is also one individual here who thinks IW is better than DX" - and then linking to a topic where on the last page I re-iterated my opinion for probably the 10th time that I liked the games equally for different reasons.

Then there's the argument teqnique employed by a lot of the people there, where it kind of went like this:
"I didn't like it when after you leave Tarsus in Seattle you're immediately contacted by infolink! UNREALISTIC!"
"The same thing happens in Beth DuClare's mansion..."
"Uh...well what about people swapping between infolink and holocomm messages? Eh?"
"That happens in the Vandenburg sub base..."
"Well, Deus Ex hid it better!"
"No it didn't"
"YOU'RE IGNORING MY POSTS, YOUR ARGUMENTS SUCK, SHUT UP"

And generally it goes down to attacking me as being argumentative and de-railing topics because I say what I think, and someone feels they need to argue with me. When I defend myself, I get blamed for the derailing, not the other person (or people) doing it. Which has made me laugh a few times to witness the sheer idiocy of some TTLG users.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

TTLG does tend to form opinions fast, and then keep them. And the mods are at least as opinionated (if not more) than the members, so it can get messy.

Such is life, eh? :)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I recommend the PDX forums.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

DDL wrote:Such is life, eh? :)
Indeed. The forum has given me a few laughs though.