Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Re: HDTP scheduled for Archival on ModDB

Post by DaveW »

It would be relatively easy for us to put together a media release of some kind - my contributions alone could make up a reasonable media release or two (and I haven't even done that much, given the entire scope of the project.) It's not that it would even take much time for me to put it together, it's just that it would be unnecessary. The mod will release, even if for some reason it wasn't completed entirely - there is a pretty-much-working form of the mod in existence that would get released.

I understand the reason for archival of old mods that have gone inactive, and that ModDB staff want to keep active mods on their website. But considering HDTP has already released and the update to that is still being developed since, you know, me and DDL are posting in this topic and we are active developers - it's fucking stupid to archive it.
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

Yes, the fact that there is already a release should be reason enough to keep it from being archived.
TheUnbeholden
NSF

Post by TheUnbeholden »

Jonas wrote:Can a new page be created for a mod if its old one has been archived before its release?

If so, I say go for it. And I add: whatever.
Thats a good question.

In essence any mod that has been archived can be unarchived. All you have to do is contact moddb staff (by using that trusty contact button at the bottom of any moddb page) and explain your situation that you are going to release media within 3 days... your mod will be temporarily unarchived and watched by a admin to make sure it happens.

Even deleted pages can be undeleted but they have a expiry I think.

I think people here are under the assumption that archiving a mod is some sort of grievous threat to the tune of bodily harm or genocide... it really isn't. And I explained the rules.

I expect some people to react negatively to my assertion of rules if it doesn't fit with their agenda, so I don't blame DDL and there's always naysayers about my admin status... till they get banned :D
I won't ban someone for being a naysayer.

Salk wrote:Yes, the fact that there is already a release should be reason enough to keep it from being archived.
Its release date is listed as a TBD (To Be Determined), these mods can get archived because they suggest the mod is being worked on.

With a release its a different story...

I could change the release date to that of the demo's release. In this case, its a small texture/model pack. I usually delete the mod and reupload it as a addon due to the small nature of these packs but I don't think anyone here wants that though from what I'm seeing.

Which will it be? Either way, one of 3 things will happen.
Last edited by TheUnbeholden on Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Blood is a Passion"
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

"You've released 50% of your mod in fully playable form but you haven't yet released the other 50% so we're ditching the whole thing"?

We're back to HL2 ep3 territory again. Seriously, your 'rules' are the most fuckstupid things I've seen this week, assuming they're genuine. It actually strikes me as requiring vastly more effort to constantly keep track of mods (and then register on forums, and then post questions to the mod members on those forums, then watch the mods themselves for updates, keep track of time, then make a judgement) than it does to simply ignore the entire issue. But hey, keeps you busy, I guess?

Also, while I think about it:
.. till they get banned
...banned from where?
TheUnbeholden
NSF

Post by TheUnbeholden »

DDL wrote: to constantly keep track of mods (and then register on forums, and then post questions to the mod members on those forums, then watch the mods themselves for updates, keep track of time, then make a judgement) than it does to
Nar, its a occasional cleanup. Theres a big list with all the mods whose updates have been longer than X time which are listed as TBD.
DDL wrote: (and then register on forums, and then post questions to the mod members on those forums,
No its not standard protocol. Its always a PM message on moddb (or email). I'm just being nice enough to let every team member know because Metche Steel isn't everyone.
I haven't done this 'go to forum about the issue' thing before.
DDL wrote: then watch the mods themselves for updates, keep track of time, then make a judgement)

Not many request unarchiving. And its done as a batch for time saving reasons.
I think they print a list out or write it down on notepad what date they are to be checked.

I personally don't do this however, I mainly stick to correcting information on mod/game pages, delete freeloaders, archive dead mods.
You can imagine that not many want to do this.
...banned from where?
ModDB

Relax, I haven't banned someone yet. ModDB has hardly any spam, (PM's or thread in the moddb forums). Not many trolls.
Last edited by TheUnbeholden on Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:18 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Blood is a Passion"
DDL

Post by DDL »

I'm not even on Moddb though, so it's not like I really have anything to lose.

I'm also curious as to why you registered all the way back in 2009 and yet have made zero posts in the HDTP forums up until now.

It's very very suspicious, is all. And of course, since 134% of everything on the internet is bullshit, my "blind acceptance of credibility" stat is currently hovering around the bottom end of the scale.
TheUnbeholden
NSF

Post by TheUnbeholden »

DDL wrote:I'm not even on Moddb though, so it's not like I really have anything to lose.
Yeah. Either way, its a joke.
DDL wrote: I'm also curious as to why you registered all the way back in 2009 and yet have made zero posts in the HDTP forums up until now.

It's very very suspicious, is all. And of course, since 134% of everything on the internet is bullshit, my "blind acceptance of credibility" stat is currently hovering around the bottom end of the scale.
I registered to follow my favourite mod. The Nameless Mod. I usually go to the forums for any mod I personally like.
I've never posted in HDTP because theres no reason for me to until it gets released.
"Blood is a Passion"
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

So what happens to TNM in a year's time? We haven't updated the mod page in quite a while, because we're done and we've released. Presumably you're going to delete the mod page anyway, due to lack of updates? Sucks for anybody who still wants to download the mod after that point, huh?

I mean, again, you haven't addressed the main point here: HDTP has released a perfectly fine working version of the mod, which is being hosted on ModDB. What's gonna happen to that when you archive the mod page? :-s
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
TheUnbeholden
NSF

Post by TheUnbeholden »

Jonas wrote:So what happens to TNM in a year's time?
Its listed as Released, and has a release. So nothing.
We keep them for historical purposes.
Jonas wrote: I mean, again, you haven't addressed the main point here: HDTP has released a perfectly fine working version of the mod, which is being hosted on ModDB. What's gonna happen to that when you archive the mod page? :-s
Same thing I do when it gets deleted, I reupload as a addon. Naturally it will be under Metche Steel's name.

But its perfectly acceptable to change its release date to "released" instead of TBD.
Last edited by TheUnbeholden on Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Blood is a Passion"
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Since you namedropped Dave Traeger, I figured I'd just drop him a line on Skype and ask what's up. I'm not gonna use our conversation against you, and I haven't asked him to step in, but you might want to stop throwing your weight around like this, it doesn't seem to be within the bounds of your authority.

Anyway, do whatever you think is most in accordance with the rules, then we'll deal with it later.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
TheUnbeholden
NSF

Post by TheUnbeholden »

Jonas wrote:it doesn't seem to be within the bounds of your authority.
How exactly?
"Blood is a Passion"
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Fucked if I know, ask Dave. I'm trying real hard to avoid a pissing contest here, I'd rather you guys just work it out with yourselves, and if you all end up deciding that HDTP needs to be archived, then fine by me :smile:
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

TheUnbeholden wrote:I could change the release date to that of the demo's release, I don't think anyone here wants that though from what I'm seeing. In this case, its a small texture/model pack. I usually delete the mod and reupload it as a addon due to the small nature of these packs.
There are plenty of other mods on ModDB that are far smaller than HDTP - which is reasonably large. It's not a small texture/model pack by any standard. So once again, shove your fucking attitude "Well I'll just have to re-add it as an addon, and you don't want that do you!"
TheUnbeholden wrote:
DDL wrote: to constantly keep track of mods (and then register on forums, and then post questions to the mod members on those forums, then watch the mods themselves for updates, keep track of time, then make a judgement) than it does to
Nar, its a occasional cleanup. Theres a big list with all the mods whose updates have been longer than X time which are listed as TBD.
It took me all of 10 seconds to find mods that were TBD from 8 years ago.
TheUnbeholden
NSF

Post by TheUnbeholden »

If you find anymore let me know.
"Blood is a Passion"
TheUnbeholden
NSF

Post by TheUnbeholden »

After speeking to the other admins, I realize I'm being to harsh. Eventhough I haven't followed this mod (hence my lack of empathy among other reasons) I realize it must be difficult to spend alot of free time creating something for free.
The very fact you released anything is enough to earn your place on ModDB.

If anyone needs help with something on moddb you can PM me.

Good luck with all your future endeavors.
I'm looking forward to replaying Deus Ex.
"Blood is a Passion"