Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
SteamHater
Mole Person

"Failed to find Steam"

Post by SteamHater »

I tried to add HDTP to STEAM via Games Add non-steam game, but if I try to launch it, I get the above error.

I can run the demo level when I launch the normal Deus Ex executable, but all textures look identical.

Really lost here.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

* points at Master_Kale

If I remember correctly, Kale fiddled around a bit with files from the original game, replacing the steam versions :?

Can't remember which files exactly though, deusex.exe comes to mind.
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
SteamHater
Mole Person

Post by SteamHater »

Well, I have read through every post re: steam version and haven't found the actual answer yet. Would love to get this working. :-)
fox
X-51

Post by fox »

Do you use the enhanced OpenGLRenderer yet? If not try it.

http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

Oh man, I thought I did a write-up about how to get HDTP to work within Steam.

Well, the long and short of it is, you need a copy of DeusEx.exe from a non-Steam copy of the game. Then, replace the Steam DeusEx.exe with the retail DeusEx.exe and it should work.

And since you're trying to use HDTP through Steam, you'll need to replace the current HDTP.exe with a retail DeusEx.exe renamed to HDTP.exe. The reason for this is that the HDTP installer (if I remember correctly) makes a copy of DeusEx.exe that's found in the ./System/ folder; since the DeusEx.exe in the Steam folder is broken to only work through Steam, HDTP.exe is also broken.

Does that make sense? Let me know if you have any questions :)

NINJA EDIT: Oh yeah, I also found out that the Steam DeusEx.exe doesn't like OpenGL mode at all, even with the new renderer in place; it's like Eidos enforced D3D functionality when they released it on Steam. If I remember correctly, following the above steps also gets OpenGL working properly.
SteamHater
Mole Person

Post by SteamHater »

Master_Kale wrote:Well, the long and short of it is, you need a copy of DeusEx.exe from a non-Steam copy of the game.
Umm, the steam version is the only version I have ever had. Any idea where I can get that exe?
SteamHater
Mole Person

Post by SteamHater »

Found one! :-)
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Isn't hdtp.exe just deusex.exe with some parameters strapped in? And if so, couldn't you just add the parameters through steam?

You'd still have the d3d renderer though.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Apparently not.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

That's easy to say, but have you actually tried it and failed? ;)
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

EER wrote:Isn't hdtp.exe just deusex.exe with some parameters strapped in? And if so, couldn't you just add the parameters through steam?
Technically, yes, HDTP.exe is just DeusEx.exe, however when you add a game to your Steam list it just makes a system call to launch the game; I tried to add TNM to my games list but was given the "DeusEx.exe needs Steam" error message and the game failed to launch.

I did figure out that you CAN add in parameters just like a shortcut; just place the text in "Target" from the TNM shortcut into the Steam shortcut's "Target" found by right-clicking a game you've added and clicking "Properties". After doing that, you can launch TNM from Steam.
SpaZ
Mole Person

Post by SpaZ »

I posted this on another similar thread, but I'll repost...

If you make a shortcut to steam.exe and add these parameters, it should work...

INI=C:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\deus ex\System\HDTP.ini USERINI=C:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\deus ex\System\HDTPUser.ini log=HDTP.log -applaunch 6910

All I did was change the target to steam.exe and at the end add -applaunch 6910.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Oooh thanks SpaZ, we'll put it to the test and then I may try to get Trestkon to implement it in the next installer! :)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
The_Maestro13
Mole Person

ok...

Post by The_Maestro13 »

Hi guys, I have just purchased the steam version of Deus Ex, after my retail copy snapped in half :O don't ask..

Anyway, i have been trying to get HDTP to work over the last few days with all the information i have found on these forums. Now, at first I got the "steam not found" error. But that went away after I replaced the 2 .exe's with the ones from the latest patch (hope that's right), and was replaced with this:

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll17 ... rd1/DX.jpg

I have tried all of the different shortcut techniques and reinstalled hdtp multiple times.. Thing is, when i run it in safe-mode, HDTP displays correctly (although somewhat horibble looking due to the 1x1 resolution D: ) But when i try to run it in D3D, D3D9, OpenGL, even software renderer, i get the above error message, only the safe mode option "disable video hardware" allows HDTP to run. (oh yeah btw I DO have all the new renderers opengl, d3d9 etc etc..

I have vista with an 8800gtx and all the good stuff to go with it... Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this problem.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Have you installed all the stuff from the patch, or only the executables? There might be some cross dependency in there somewhere.

Note that this input is entirely based on speculation.