Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Made in China
MJ12

Another Update Request

Post by Made in China »

So, yeah. Another update request.
I think that this is probably the second/third most anticipated mod EVER for Deus Ex, right after TNM and tied with New Vision, which were both already released. And to make it worse, the media blackout just increases the anticipation. However, this is acceptable - it worked for Black Mesa, didn't it? And I'm sure people didn't forget about that.
So, I'm not asking about the mod itself. I hope it'll be out by Christmas - because who doesn't like presents. I'm instead asking for something else - updates about the team. About the actual process of creating the mod. About people who left and those who stayed, and the difficulties they faced. That will at least ease my worries that there still is a mod, because there is always that doubt, and will give some insight as to how HDTP was made.
Also, making a developer's commentary while avoiding any press release of pictures of videos will avoid the catastrophe that was Gunther Hermann's new model. If I recall correctly, someone quit the team because of the extreme negative feedback it received. I don't think anyone wants it to happen again, but I also think that having total disconnection from the community is going a bit too far.

P.S.
Topic names are a bit pointless here, don't you think? Almost every topic on the HDTP board is a troll or an update request, and the purpose of both is to attract the devs' attention.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Another Update Request

Post by Jonas »

Did you catch the post where DDL said the mod was finished, it just needs to be tested?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

Actually, no. I wasn't aware that it was in the testing phase. Mind telling me where DDL said it?
But in any case, I still made a valid point - knowing what the devs went through, or at least the general story of the mod, will be nice. It will answer some questions, most notably 'Why did it take so long?'. And that's just scratching the surface, because I'm sure there are a lot of things that went untold in HDTP's development process.
I think TNM also had developer's commentary on IMDB, and I believe that it was for the same reason (I haven't watched it for about 3 years). I also believe that the it didn't have a final installment, but I could be just misremembering, and off-topic.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Made in China wrote:It will answer some questions, most notably 'Why did it take so long?'.
Because it's just DDL working on it.
Made in China wrote:And that's just scratching the surface, because I'm sure there are a lot of things that went untold in HDTP's development process.
And will probably remain untold because most of the original team are no longer around.
Made in China wrote:I think TNM also had developer's commentary on IMDB, and I believe that it was for the same reason (I haven't watched it for about 3 years). I also believe that the it didn't have a final installment, but I could be just misremembering, and off-topic.
TNM is complete.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Made in China wrote:Actually, no. I wasn't aware that it was in the testing phase. Mind telling me where DDL said it?
Towards the bottom of the linked page: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2974&start=6885
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

@Dave - Well, I assumed it was more than just one person. And I guess I assumed wrong, even still - DDL must know something. Not enough to write a complete history, I'm not THAT deluded, but at least his perspective and memoires. It doesn't have or needs to be in the scope of TNM's developer commentary, it can be as simple as a blog entry\ies.

@bobby - Thank you. Slight observation and fangasm - that post is quite recent, from two weeks ago. You can imagine what's going on in my head right now.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

May I suggest just a little more patience? I'm not sure how many of the team remain, and I dare say testing to see how the finished HDTP works with DX is probably a bit more complicated than a bug hunt. I'm speaking with absolutely no authority of course.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

TL:DR version, people have lives.

More specifically, jobs. Often several jobs. Also people get married. People get old. People decide that they have much better things to do than mod a decade-old game that at times seems designed to make modding as impenetrable and obtuse as possible. And so on. You could look at any number of mod projects that've gone through similar trials, so it seems pointless to reiterate the facts (with added team details(TM)).

If I get the time, I hope to upload a beta build somewhere this week or the next. Given that it's a beta, it may have terrible bugs (it shouldn't, but it's been tested on like...three computers), so don't get too optimistic, but hey: we're getting there.
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

Well, bummer about the team. I guess time took its toll on people.
I'm excited about the beta, though. Can't wait for it.

Thank you, and everyone else who gave countless hours of their life to make it possible.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

DDL wrote:TL:DR version, people have lives.

More specifically, jobs. Often several jobs. Also people get married. People get old. People decide that they have much better things to do than mod a decade-old game that at times seems designed to make modding as impenetrable and obtuse as possible. And so on. You could look at any number of mod projects that've gone through similar trials, so it seems pointless to reiterate the facts (with added team details(TM)).

If I get the time, I hope to upload a beta build somewhere this week or the next. Given that it's a beta, it may have terrible bugs (it shouldn't, but it's been tested on like...three computers), so don't get too optimistic, but hey: we're getting there.
If you put up the beta, I'll love you forever.
Oh, and I'll test it for you and let you know of any bugs I can find.* ;)

*I've been hold back on a playthrough of Deus Ex for a while now. I'm a little excited to be honest. :mrgreen:
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

Well, DDL, what can we say now?

If you really are entering beta stage soon I really wonder how you could not burst in here and scream it to everybody. I know I would have done it. All those tedious hours of work with a game certified as "hellish" to mod with will hopefully acquire a real meaning.

We all can but thank you for not having given up on the project, especially considering the difficulties of any kind.
SyntaxError
Thug

Post by SyntaxError »

Hey, this is great news to read!

Did you decide whether it will be a public or closed beta?
DDL

Post by DDL »

Public! Because fuck it, we owe you that much.

Currently having it pre-tested by a willing volunteer just to make sure it actually runs at all, but after that: it's yours to ...well, report bugs about.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

*Jumps on DDL and hugs him tightly.* <3

Remind me to never shoot your NPC in TNM again.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

Thanks soo much :D
Remind me to never shoot your NPC in TNM again.
Reminds me, 5 playthroughs and haven't found DDL yet! (or not that I can remember)
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus