Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
DXM1
Mole Person

Whats new Guys?

Post by DXM1 »

Just curious if anyone has been in touch with DDL or the other guys working on this mod and have any information about its current state. I dont want to pm them directly because im sure they are busy and I don't want to waste their time. So does anyone have any morsels of information about what is going on currently in the world of HDTP ?
Salk
UNATCO

Re: Whats new Guys?

Post by Salk »

I would advice to check here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11217

The post by semiquaver gives the latest infos about HDTP.
kdawg88
MJ12

Post by kdawg88 »

I am sooooo looking forward to this thing. It'll be like the second coming, only better. It'll be like sex, only not quite as good. It'll be like...well it'll freaking be like playing Deus Ex with some mindblowing graphics mods.
DXM1
Mole Person

Post by DXM1 »

Hey again. Has there been any progress for this mod? =P~
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

After reading the first post in that link up there I wont be asking for anymore progress reports. Admirable work being put into HDTP.

Although I am interested in knowing who is actually currently working on the team; DDL, DaveW & DaveyBoy are the only ones left as far as I can make out. I hope I am wrong.

I would love to help but I'd only be a hindrance really, unless someone is willing to tutor me in any skill required... No, just a hindrance. :(

@ Remaining HDTP team: I dont know the history, but thank you for being crazy enough to stay on and see this to the end (hopefully). :)
parallax
Mole Person

Post by parallax »

Not going to make another thread on progress reports, there's plenty floating around already...

As an emeritus DX fan and windbag of #dxediting, it's warming to see the resolve and spirit of a great community, still flickering in these corners of the internet.

I hope, with every nostalgic fibre of my being that this labour of love is not left by the wayside. It would be a damn shame to witness all the tremendous efforts and art of everyone involved, slip into obscurity.

If sponsorship is what's needed to complete the project, let's get on Kickstarter and raise some funds. It wouldn't take a deal of effort to rally the waking dead of the old and new DX communities, and provide support for the project, either fiscally or morally.

Here's to a 2013 release, and lets hope the world doesn't end before we get to witness the extreme fucking awesomeness that would be a full release of DX: HDTP
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Whoops I did not come to that conclusion after reading the first post in the link, I meant the second post by semiquaver.
parallax wrote:snip
Mostly agreed.

Kickstarter would certainly reward the team for their hard work and maybe even lure back some of the original team members which would speed up the process and take some of the hard work from the current team member's hands. Though it's called Kickstarter and I assume HDTP is almost finished, I am sure there are enough DX fanatics willing to pay up. Given the circumstances I dont think a kickstarter for an almost complete mod is entirely out of the question, but it would be a bit out of the ordinary?

I'm just happy as long as it is released though, so if kickstarter (or just simply asking for donations on the forums here, which makes more sense) is what it takes then so be it.
SyntaxError
Thug

Post by SyntaxError »

I doubt HDTP fits the bill for a Kickstarter campaign.
Also, wouldn't that probably lead to legal problems with Sqeenix/Eidos when transforming a non-profit fan-made mod into a for-profit Kickstarter (at least it will be hard to argue that it's still non-profit)?

I guess what the project at this point needs is indeed a last push - allegedly most stuff has been finished long ago and is only waiting to be implemented (by DDL, the sole remaining person still actively working on the project, afaik).
I think the team has done a great work with the stuff they have done, but I'm also a bit anxious that this project has long died, but no one dares to admit it. Wouldn't be the first project that went down this way.
OTOH, there are some people (like DaveW or some TNM guys) that help me to keep some last hope up - if they say there's still progress being made then I guess it's true.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

So things left to do are:

1)Integrate daveyboy's books -the code is mostly done, it's just getting the import filenames right so it can all happen dynamically
2)testing

I spent most of this weekend arguing with window code (oh fuck you, window code) and so HDTP now will ship with a settings menu that will allow you to use/not use/pick'n'mix the character models, since they seemed quite..divisive. This works in realtime, so you can boot up HDTP, decide midway through a game that you don't like the Anna model but you do like Simons, open the menu, select custom>>simons yes, anna no, and BAM: they switch right then and there.

I am, at this point, working on the premise that everybody is happy with the weapons and decorations and so on, because just getting the above to work was..fiddlier than I hoped.
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

That's great! Love the fact you can decide on which character models to pick. It would be nice to have the option for all textures but that indeed seems far less important.

I know that was a great function for the HD texture pack for Invisible War, where some textures absolutely did not fit the rest of the game's looks (the Omar had some kind of golden flower motif on their protective suits). I think that's less of an issue for HDTP though, it seems pretty consistent even if some people dislike some of the new characters.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

DDL wrote: I am, at this point, working on the premise that everybody is happy with the weapons and decorations and so on, because just getting the above to work was..fiddlier than I hoped.

Could I be a dick and ask for an option to turn the weapons off?

I mean, I know I made quite a few of them..but for some reason I prefer only to touch the environment in Deus Ex. Having high detail items and characters just seems odd to me :(
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

I think I'll do a complete DX run with the lot before deciding what options to take/not to take. Thanks for the perseverance HDTP team.

I see some testing for TNM in my future. DX and TNM with HDTP and NV. No, not alphabet soup....it'll be glorious. :P
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

DaveW wrote:Having high detail items and characters just seems odd to me :(
Sir, I put it to you that you are odd.

I look forward to HDTP, but I also dread it a little bit - I've got a half-finished TNM 1.0.5 sitting on my PC, but this is my first Windows install since 2000 onto which I haven't immediately rolled Deus Ex and TNM - I don't have any part of the SDK set up and functional.

Fuck, I doubt I even remember how to access our SVN repository anymore.

Plus, I'll need to get a hold of Nick to finish the HDTP compatibility fixes and then Lawrence to make a new installer for 1.0.5. The release of HDTP is going to create a lot of work for me :P
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Jonas wrote:I look forward to HDTP, but I also dread it a little bit - I've got a half-finished TNM 1.0.5 sitting on my PC, but this is my first Windows install since 2000 onto which I haven't immediately rolled Deus Ex and TNM - I don't have any part of the SDK set up and functional.
I think this is now the third Windows reinstall (I reinstall a lot) where I haven't immediately installed Deus Ex and the SDK so I know the feeling.

Speaking of TNM HD-ness, I came across a very cool starfield generator which I thought could make some high-res skybox textures for the space mission. Have you modified the texture packages at all or would I be safe to base a HD package off of the latest TNM version?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I've modified TNM_Misc_Tex, I think the starfield is in TNM_Core_Tex though? God, our texture package structure sucks. Anyway the starfield already is high-res... depending on how you define "high", I guess...
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine