Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Y|yukichigai
UNATCO

Re: HDTP beta

Post by Y|yukichigai »

DDL wrote:Huh. I have no idea. Not near my HDTP pooter so I can't check atm.

If it DOESN'T, you could maybe fake it with renderoverlays? Set bEnvmapped=true, draw it again?
Given that I had no idea that was even possible before now and have never used any of those features... yes-ish?

Not sure honestly. I'll have to see what ENVmapping is capable of in DX's antiquated engine. But it's definitely a thought! Thanks.
Y|yukichigai
UNATCO

Post by Y|yukichigai »

Oh yes, anybody who knows how to access my SVN can check out what I'm working on. I've got the bulk of it done except for Flares and Flamethrower particles, the latter mostly because I'm not sure if I can dynamically load an animated texture.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Since there's some talk of new stuff on Page 22, I thought I might as well ask: Is there any progress on fixing the major animation showstopper that the seated MJ12 trooper represents?
CrocMagnum
NSF

Post by CrocMagnum »

Y|yukichigai wrote:Welp, just hit a setback. An amusing one. Read on.

So if you aren't aware, I've been in the Deus Ex game for a long, long time. Well no, you're probably aware of that part in general, I mean with Shifter's tagline even mentioning the year 2002. What I specifically though is that I've been all over Deus Ex since about two months after it came out. I actually got the game along with a copy of Thief: Dark Shadows as a bundle with my sound card, back when sound cards did that sort of thing. I started modding before the v1112fm patch came out... hell I think before v1109 came out.

Anyway, this isn't me bragging (much), this long-winded explanation has a purpose. By the time v1112fm came out I had so many decompiled .u files and other stuff littering my Deus Ex install that the concept of reinstalling from scratch was just unthinkable. WAY too much work. I just installed v1112fm on the existing install and kept working. I figured that eventually the install would get unstable enough that I'd have no choice but to reinstall. In the meantime though I kept working, waiting for that day to come.

Well that day finally came. Today.

Yes, that's right, I have been using the same install of Deus Ex for thirteen years. Oh sure, it's been copied between computers as I switched from tower to tower, but since Deus Ex doesn't need any registry settings to function there was no reason to actually reinstall. I've been copying my Deus Ex folder from computer to computer for thirteen years, and it's continued to work in all that time. Until now that is.

So yeah, right now I can't actually get Deus Ex to run past the main menu screen. Any attempt to do so results in the lovingly cryptic "bad name index" error, which I'm told means some .u file or other is corrupted. I really am not in the mood to figure out which one, so I think, grudgingly, it's time to start over. A new, fresh, clean install.

Unfortunately I can't actually remember what I did with my original Deus Ex install disc. Yes I still have it, I just put it somewhere safe... so safe I can't remember where it is. I'm busily downloading the Steam version as we speak, but since my internet has all the line quality of a potato it may take some time.

No worries though, this isn't stopping me from merging HDTP stuff, it's just stopping me from TESTING. The latter is pretty annoying since I've just done something that (I think) is pretty clever for all the new weapon meshes with their custom hand textures and whatnot.

So yeah, hope that gives you a little chuckle. I'm now going to do something to fill my time while I wait to install Deus Ex for the first time in 13 years.
Wow ! I thought I was a ‘stick-in-the-mud’ gamer, but jeez ! You’ve beaten me by a country mile. Heck ! This is almost Guinness Book-like ! :mrgreen:

By the way I never had the chance to thank you for Shifter. This is the time I guess. Cheers for your dedication and good luck for the next version.
Pity the world if you fail Spirit Monk, for you are the last. (Jade Empire)
Daveyboy1978
Thug

Post by Daveyboy1978 »

Can someone please tell me where the WHDeskOvalOffice is used in game - the map name? I've gone through every level looking for it and missed it somehow!
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

It may not be used, but if you load up UED2 there is a search actors feature which will help find it if it is.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Just checked every map, it's not used in vanilla. It's in Revision though, and I'm sure some other mod uses it too.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
Y|yukichigai
UNATCO

Post by Y|yukichigai »

Alright, I can't find any good tutorials on envmapping in Unreal 1/Deus Ex. Someone got a link? I don't even know the syntax I'm looking at using.
Y|yukichigai
UNATCO

Post by Y|yukichigai »

CrocMagnum wrote: Wow ! I thought I was a ‘stick-in-the-mud’ gamer, but jeez ! You’ve beaten me by a country mile. Heck ! This is almost Guinness Book-like ! :mrgreen:

By the way I never had the chance to thank you for Shifter. This is the time I guess. Cheers for your dedication and good luck for the next version.
No problem. I'm just thrilled so many people enjoy Shifter.

As far as the next version goes, it's almost done. I've got updated Paul and JC working correctly, as well as the rest of the NPCs. Only thing left are Flares and Fireballs... I think. Maybe the Prototype Nanoswords if someone can get me a good tutorial on envmapping.

I think I may need to make some custom skins for the HDTP uniques as well. I'll have to figure out what Unreal 1 friendly .u tools are available for Win 7 x64.
Y|yukichigai
UNATCO

Post by Y|yukichigai »

Yeah it looks like I can't dynamically import the spark and flame effects for the new flares. It probably also means I can't update the flame effects for the flamethrower either, sadly. DynamicLoadObject is a great function but apparently it demands that what is loaded is in a .u file. A .utx simply won't cut it, sadly.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Preload the entire package via an exec obj load?
Y|yukichigai
UNATCO

Post by Y|yukichigai »

DDL wrote:Preload the entire package via an exec obj load?
That would make HDTP mandatory for running Shifter then I think. Exec Obj Load is a compiler command.
DDL

Post by DDL »

Hrm, point taken.
Well, you'd only need the utx, and that's tiny (I'm pretty sure any and all animation-dependent textures are stuck in HDTPanim. I did my best to ensure this).

Or...just copy the textures across to your own .utx, if you have one?
Y|yukichigai
UNATCO

Post by Y|yukichigai »

I don't actually have a UTX. All the optional textures I have are stuck in a .U which I can dynamically load.

Actually, why are your animated textures all in a .utx instead of a .u? If it was in the latter I think DynamicLoadObject would work on it. Is there something a utx has over .u?
DDL

Post by DDL »

Procedural stuff: Firetextures/wettextures etc.

They're not all just "anim00>>anim01>>anim02 etc".

As far as I'm aware, you can only make & edit those kind of things in the editor as .utx files. I could be wrong, but hey.