Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
kocmo
Thug

Re: HDTP beta

Post by kocmo »

ggrotz wrote:...they put a demo/gallery map in release 1 that's supposed to show the old and new items together...
Actually, such a demo would be quite useful. Ggrotz, would you be able to find in your heart an opportunity to fix it to a working state?
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

ggrotz wrote:
Cybernetic pig wrote: you just eliminated a demographic who would see the installation process and say "fuck that".
Actually...DDL replaced all the files in the old one, so you really don't need to download and install release 1 at all. As a note, I put the interesting remaining files he didn't replace (the desktop JPGs and Metche's credit file) into the install as well, so you shouldn't need release 1 at all. As a note, they put a demo/gallery map in release 1 that's supposed to show the old and new items together, but it doesn't work right with release 2 and you don't really NEED it anyway, so I dropped that one too.

So you can make it even easier than that.
Aha! Good to know.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

kocmo wrote:Actually, such a demo would be quite useful. Ggrotz, would you be able to find in your heart an opportunity to fix it to a working state?
DDL would have to speak for sure, but I think he did something to try and fix a problem the old release 1 had with catching on a number of things, and ended up force replacing everything. That's how it's broken - you see the new on both items. Besides, you'd have to open up a few new wings of the museum in the map in order to catch all the new things that were added. So, I'm thinking the probable best answer on this one is to just not worry about it. I think people can probably see the difference between comparison screen shots anyway (I know I can generate them pretty quickly with my loader and just bouncing between the maps with HDTP ticked on and off). In fact, I recall I did a few that were posted earlier in this thread.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

I get this over on the moddb link to the installer.
SplatteredNavarre
SplatteredNavarre 11hours 8mins ago says:

I keep getting an error that the publisher couldn't be identified, so windows won't let me open it :(
I know a lot of the later versions prompt (I get a warning message when I install most stuff, including my HDTP installer) because the installer package isn't digitally signed, and I would think this is related to that.

As I understood it, a digital signature (like Verisign) costs money, so I didn't look into that. I could have been wrong there, but I really have no clue how to answer this person.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Well there is one dialogue that pops up from stuff you've downloaded from the web. Like this: http://www.netwiz.com.au/appnotes/openf ... arning.jpg

Sounds like that's what's going on.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

bjorn98009_91 wrote:Well there is one dialogue that pops up from stuff you've downloaded from the web. Like this: http://www.netwiz.com.au/appnotes/openf ... arning.jpg

Sounds like that's what's going on.
I thought about it and realized it might be the download blocking behavior that you get with newer Windows if it realizes it's from another computer. So I gave that suggestion along with instructions on how to unblock the file so it will run.
kocmo
Thug

Post by kocmo »

ggrotz wrote:...the installer package isn't digitally signed, and I would think this is related to that.

As I understood it, a digital signature (like Verisign) costs money, so I didn't look into that. I could have been wrong there, but I really have no clue how to answer this person.
What if you signed the installer by your own, self-signed certificate? Not sure whether that would leave the warning in place, or replace it with question "do you trust...?", but worth a try.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

I did sign our Revision installer with my own certificate. Shows up fine here since the certificate is installed on my computer, but would probably give a "Unknown publisher" warning anywhere else since the root CA isn't trusted on other computers. But it's always nice to have a signed .exe.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

They resolved it...said they had to add an EXE extension. Sounds like malware to me if it's Windows since I never had to do that for a download, but I can't say I know all the systems this stuff can run on either.
pl1982
Thug

Post by pl1982 »

Thanks so much ggrotz! Your installer helps allot and makes the process easier. Just a question for you and kocmo: kocmo I want to have HDTP+NV+unifiedDX. So I followed your instructions: first HDTP and disable deusex.u, then NV, then unifiedDX. Now my question: in the installer of ggrotz at the end there is a question about 'write hdtp changes into deusex.ini'; should I say yes for this or not? Also: since with ggrotz hdtp installer, the dx10 renderer is installed (and a scaling fix), should I just skip this with the NV installer (since it also gives the option to install dx renderer). Finally: should I install Kentie's launcher via NV or not? Does your mod include all these aspects?
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

pl1982 wrote:in the installer of ggrotz at the end there is a question about 'write hdtp changes into deusex.ini'; should I say yes for this or not?
I don't know how applicable this is to what you're trying to do, but I thought I'd explain this in general. The installer does like the Release 1 does and creates a separate setup. But I realized it might be helpful to copy the settings over to the main Deus Ex install if someone doesn't necessarily care about the changes that are being made and just want HDTP to work with whatever. The question is kind of written more with a modder's knowledge, and I'll probably rewrite it when the next set of changes to HDTP gets done.

TL;DR : "Do you want to keep your original Deus Ex settings?" If no, click yes on that prompt. If yes, click no on that prompt.
kocmo
Thug

Post by kocmo »

pl1982 wrote:in the installer of ggrotz at the end there is a question about 'write hdtp changes into deusex.ini'; should I say yes for this or not?
Ggrotz already answered above; I'd just add that you probably want to say "yes".
pl1982 wrote:Also: since with ggrotz hdtp installer, the dx10 renderer is installed (and a scaling fix), should I just skip this with the NV installer (since it also gives the option to install dx renderer).
Doesn't matter, unifiedDeusEx will overwrite.
pl1982 wrote:Finally: should I install Kentie's launcher via NV or not?
Doesn't matter, unifiedDeusEx will overwrite.
pl1982 wrote:Does your mod include all these aspects?
Yes, and some of them it includes in improved (bug-fixed) form. For example, the launcher included contains a bugfix for this issue. With future releases of unifiedDeusEx I'll be changing more of the included components.

General answer: don't worry abt reinstalling stuff twice, so long as you install unifiedDeusEx after HDTP and New Vision, everything will be okay.
pl1982
Thug

Post by pl1982 »

Thank you ggrotz and kocmo for the feedback; it has answered my questions. Much appreciated.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Oh, DDL. Would you mind fixing the bug in DeusEx.u that makes lamps that have bOn=True by default not being lit up? It's a bit annoying.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

I actually DID recode that (back in 2007 apparently).

Its just that I never (I guess?) got around to actually testing it, and because DX code sometimes just doesn't work for no fucking reason, it doesn't actually work (for no fucking reason).

I'll add it to the list. *sigh*