Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

HDTP beta

Post by DDL »

Alright folks, here it is. As a mediafire download, no less. :/

Now I realise this is probably the most half-arsed beta release of anything, ever, but them's the breaks. If anyone wants to rehost the files, be my guest.

There's a readme in there somewhere, but basically, this works as a sort of manual patch to the initial HDTP release.

So download all the packages, unzip 'em, dump 'em in the right places, etc etc, and bob's your uncle.

Also, be warned: it's a beta, and it's been tested by basically...me (mostly in a "load it up, do the changes I've made work" sense) and Daveyboy (who made all the newspaper & book textures, and who has been playtesting more extensively). I've hopefully fixed most of the bugs he's reported thus far, but who knows. Basically, there could be sudden OMGWTF show-stopper crashes, so save fairly often. If you can get a reproducible crash, then that's actually pretty useful so keep the log file (HDTP.log) and send it to me. Or post it here in this thread. :)

So here's the download link:

Removed coz mediafire went weird

EDIT: and the hotfix:

Removed coz mediafire went weird

Now I will, I'm afraid to say, be flying off to Malaysia for a couple of weeks (from this sunday) so it's...unlikely that I'll be able to do a ton of bugfixing in that time, but I was determined to get this released in some form before I left.

Finally, view this as a...nearly finished work in progress: Daveyboy is making some new textures for some of the things we never got to, so there will probably be additional content as well as bugfixes.

*finger hovers over submit*

..ah, what the hell.

Edit: new links

Beta01
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0ByfWJ1 ... jJuTlI0ZzA
Beta02
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0ByfWJ1 ... U5OamdaOU0
Beta03
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0ByfWJ1 ... k5Vc19YTHM

NOTE: Character meshes default to "off", so go to HDTP Settings and enable them if you wish, but be aware -the MJ12 trooper mesh is currently bugged, and has a shockingly high tendency to crash your game, so it is (sadly) advisable to leave them using the original mesh.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Re: HDTP beta

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

OMFG! Downloading!
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Cool, downloading it now! Thanks!
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

And I said before in a previous post: I now love you forever.
Downloading for play test later. :mrgreen:
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Really awesome work! Not all of the character models fit my taste, but hey that's what the options page is for. :)

Two things I've noticed so far.

* Anna's lips do not move when she speaks.
* The unmodded stealth pistol is invisible when you hold it in your hand, in the world it's visible though.

Also the game seems to freeze when ghosting though walls. And it's not the normal "everything goes black" thing, it's more of everything in the game keeps working (NPC movement, animated textures, etc.) but the game just stops to respond to input. Sometimes you see certain objects/geometry disappear and then reappear on a regular period, they kind of flash in and out of the game. Have to Ctrl+Alt+Del to get to Task Manager and shut the damn thing off. This never happened before today, not blaming anyone, just thought you should know.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Pffft, HDTP has taken so long to be developed there's no way it's not vapourware. And since that must be true, obviously this download is fake. Probably a virus. Skipping.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
DDL

Post by DDL »

Hah, shit: you're right about the stealth pistol. Hrmm. It's a multiskins check that I fucked up (coz it's a different skin assignment for 1st/3rd). Shows you how much I use the stealth pistol, eh?

We'll see if any other glaring bugs crop up and then I'll upload a hotfix tonight.

No idea about the freezing, though. That sounds...odd. It should generate a log file even if you close it via task manager, so you could see if there's anything in that.
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

Aw, no Maggie Chow model. I remember people bickering about the one I saw on some forums a few years back, but I always thought it was nice.

But otherwise, OMFGYEAHBBQ. I really like the new item models, and now the assault gun actually looks like one! :]

Also, that crashing problem sounds like one of the ones I usually get ... mostly in the editor, but sometimes in-game which is when I know something in the archi itself is wrong. Like, just open the final area of Area 51 in UED and try to look at the direction where the actual level is.
Last edited by FastGamerr on Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

DDL,

thank you for this Beta release! I can but wish you a pleasant stay in Malaysia.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Oh yeah, there is plenty, 228kb.

Traced the error to the MJ12 troopers. If I ghost with the vanilla model, no problems, but as soon as I start ghosting with the HDTP-model it freezes. Ghosting within a room is no problem, it's when you go through a wall and look at a MJ12 trooper the problems occur. I've tried with both dx10 and dx9 renders.
Picture of a MJ12 trooper in a chair, obviously something wrong.
Picture of a MJ12 trooper in a chair, obviously something wrong.
The log file in question with DirectX10 render.

Log file with DirectX9 render.
CyanideCapsule
Thug

Post by CyanideCapsule »

=D>
Bravery is not a function of firepower.
DDL

Post by DDL »

Hah! Ok, nobody use the MJ12 troops, I guess.

That one could be trickier to fix, since it's clearly a mesh/animation issue, and those are waaay out of my league. Bugger.
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

DXN with HDTP

Man, even with everything on the screen being high-res (well, except for the HUD really), I still can't get DXN to look any more up-to-date >_> At least you can disable the MJ12 troops from the menu.

Once again, DDL, many many thanks for releasing this. It even invigorated my mood a bit, maybe I can get back on working on DXN sometime soon.
Last edited by FastGamerr on Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

DDL wrote:Hah! Ok, nobody use the MJ12 troops, I guess.

That one could be trickier to fix, since it's clearly a mesh/animation issue, and those are waaay out of my league. Bugger.

The MJ12 troops are just an issue if you ghost (to my knowledge), so for normal players/non-cheaters everything should be kind of fine. For devs like me, that use ghosting a lot it's more annoying, but no real problem, since we can just turn off the model when ghosting. You did great DDL! :)
FastGamerr wrote:DXN with HDTP

Man, even with everything on the screen being high-res (well, except for the HUD really), I still can't get DXN to look any more up-to-date >_> At least you can disable the MJ12 troops from the menu.

Once again, DDL, many many thanks for releasing this. It even invigorated my mood a bit, maybe I can get back on working on DXN sometime soon.
That looks great! :D
Daveyboy1978
Thug

Post by Daveyboy1978 »

The MJ12 Troops is an issue without ghosting.

Prior to crashing at certain bits with the MJ12 Troops, switching them back to vanilla then back to the new mesh/model it doesn't crash. - well not crash as such but forces you to close it down via task manager as previously mentioned.