Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Re: HDTP beta

Post by DDL »

All I can say is thank christ I made that "characters on/off" menu. \:D/

(seriously, making menus in DX is silly: you have to make a fresh background texture first -complete with suitable silly lines to make it look all techy- and then work out, per fucking pixel, where to draw all the buttons. Hate hate hate)
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Daveyboy1978 wrote:The MJ12 Troops is an issue without ghosting.

Prior to crashing at certain bits with the MJ12 Troops, switching them back to vanilla then back to the new mesh/model it doesn't crash. - well not crash as such but forces you to close it down via task manager as previously mentioned.
Yup, noticed it too. Bad of me to jump to conclusions without testing all mj12 maps.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

DDL wrote:(seriously, making menus in DX is silly: you have to make a fresh background texture first -complete with suitable silly lines to make it look all techy- and then work out, per fucking pixel, where to draw all the buttons. Hate hate hate)
You'll possibly be amused to know that's how most GUI coding is done - until Unity releases their new fancy Scaleform-style (Flash-based?) GUI system, that's how you do it in Unity as well.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
CyanideCapsule
Thug

Post by CyanideCapsule »

Some bugs I found whilst playing Liberty Island - bugs marked with an (?) indicate confusion over inclusion of features.

1. Character model reverts after being picked up.
2. Medkit only heals 30 points.
3. Weapon mod doesn't stay active after switching items.
4. Anna Navarre & UNATCO Troopers don't move their lips.
5. Models do not change while in Custom.
6. No Stealth Pistol model.
7. Lip sync remains the same for new character models. (?)
8. Lighting issue - JC has an eerie light in front of his face.
9. Hand texture issue.
10. Some bushes use the old texture.
11. New characters, namely Gunther, do not have a new animation. (?)
CyanideCapsule
Thug

Post by CyanideCapsule »

I am hating every minute ;)
Bravery is not a function of firepower.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

I'll give it a whirl over the week-end. Enjoy your trip DDL.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
DDL

Post by DDL »

CyanideCapsule wrote: 1. Character model reverts after being picked up. -->could you clarify what this actually means?
2. Medkit only heals 30 points. -->Medkit has always only healed 30 points.
3. Weapon mod doesn't stay active after switching items.-->could you clarify what this actually means?
4. Anna Navarre & UNATCO Troopers don't move their lips.Duly noted, still have no idea why this is the case
5. Models do not change while in Custom.? As in, if you're set to 'custom', and you flip a true to false, the model doesn't swap? It does for me...
6. No Stealth Pistol model.See previous report (also, fixed, pending upload)
7. Lip sync remains the same for new character models. (?)We've done nothing to lipsynching
8. Lighting issue - JC has an eerie light in front of his face.Conversation light:this is in the original game so conversations in poor light still let you see both actors: it's a light spawned in at the start of 3rd person convos. I guess the new mesh just makes it more obvious.
9. Hand texture issue.-->could you clarify what this actually means? EDIT: is it that the skintone switching I coded isn't working for all weapons? Yeah, that's my bad. Fixing!
10. Some bushes use the old texture.Those'd be the ones we never made new models for.
11. New characters, namely Gunther, do not have a new animation. (?)This was never even an aim, as far as I know?

So..yeah, some extra clarification would be aces.
Some of these I may be able to fix, some not (animation issues etc -We'll see if I can get hold of Akerfeldt).

Hey, one of the nice things about having a release is that if anyone sees anything we've not done, and feels they could make an HDTP version of it, then I'm happy to import it. :D
CyanideCapsule
Thug

Post by CyanideCapsule »

DDL wrote:
CyanideCapsule wrote: 1. Character model reverts after being picked up. -->could you clarify what this actually means?
2. Medkit only heals 30 points. -->Medkit has always only healed 30 points.
3. Weapon mod doesn't stay active after switching items.-->could you clarify what this actually means?
4. Anna Navarre & UNATCO Troopers don't move their lips.Duly noted, still have no idea why this is the case
5. Models do not change while in Custom.? As in, if you're set to 'custom', and you flip a true to false, the model doesn't swap? It does for me...
6. No Stealth Pistol model.See previous report (also, fixed, pending upload)
7. Lip sync remains the same for new character models. (?)We've done nothing to lipsynching
8. Lighting issue - JC has an eerie light in front of his face.Conversation light:this is in the original game so conversations in poor light still let you see both actors: it's a light spawned in at the start of 3rd person convos. I guess the new mesh just makes it more obvious.
9. Hand texture issue.-->could you clarify what this actually means? EDIT: is it that the skintone switching I coded isn't working for all weapons? Yeah, that's my bad. Fixing!
10. Some bushes use the old texture.Those'd be the ones we never made new models for.
11. New characters, namely Gunther, do not have a new animation. (?)This was never even an aim, as far as I know?

So..yeah, some extra clarification would be aces.
Some of these I may be able to fix, some not (animation issues etc -We'll see if I can get hold of Akerfeldt).

Hey, one of the nice things about having a release is that if anyone sees anything we've not done, and feels they could make an HDTP version of it, then I'm happy to import it. :D
1. When I pick up a dead or unconscious enemy and place them down again the model reverts to the original model instead of using the new model... will add a screen later.
2. Sorry, used to Shifter etc.
3. Laser sight on pistol deactivates upon switching items (e.g., Laser Sight is active while Pistol is equipped, switch to the Sniper, back to the Pistol with Laser deactivated).
5. Odd...
7. Okay, I thought I remembered something about updated animations and lip sync...
8. It's more pronounced with the new model, meh.
9. Will take a screen later :smile:
10. Ah... I'd rather have every bush an HD bush :P
11. Refer to 7.
DDL

Post by DDL »

I'm pretty sure weaponmods being persistently active is not a vanilla DX feature. I could be wrong, but I can't think of anything I've done that would alter that behaviour.

Gotcha on the carcasses. Clearly something's gone wrong there (though I think that should be a relatively easy fix).
CyanideCapsule
Thug

Post by CyanideCapsule »

Alright, thanks. Will continue to report on bugs.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

I'll be playing with the GOG version of DX. It doesn't like the Kenties exe and it needs the gamma correction fix. Does it matter if New Vision is installed, or would you prefer it not to be for testing purposes?

Edit: Except for the gamma reset, every download gets nerfed by the anti-virus, it's set up. I forgot to add those lines in the ini but after fixing that the HDTP options were in the menu. \o/
Last edited by bobby 55 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

Does it matter if New Vision is installed, or would you prefer it not to be for testing purposes?
Personally, I don't think NV will make any difference to HDTP testing but it does make the HDTP models stand out more and make the game look much more modern, minus the unchanged meshes.

Just got it and will report any bugs I find. But first, is the prod supposed to look smaller than it did before and it seems to me it should be bigger and a little higher up on first person view.

One issue so far, probably a texture issue, but the Assault Gun first person, I can see hands and muzzle flash, but no gun.
Last edited by Morpheus on Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

bobby 55 wrote:Does it matter if New Vision is installed, or would you prefer it not to be for testing purposes?
The only thing New Vision may cause is an increase in crashes if you ghost outside the level.
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

Hmm, on my end the military bots don't have any walking sounds with HDTP active. Huh.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

DaveW wrote:
bobby 55 wrote:Does it matter if New Vision is installed, or would you prefer it not to be for testing purposes?
The only thing New Vision may cause is an increase in crashes if you ghost outside the level.
Cheers Dave, I didn't install it but I wish I had. The dock at the beginning looks faded without your textures. I may as well do the beta without it then afterwards have both running. Perhaps I'll take a couple of screenies of vanilla DX and take the same area/objects with HDTP and NV to highlight the difference.

Paul and JC look ace btw.