Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Lo Vaquero
Mole Person

Post by Lo Vaquero »

This works quite nicely.

I'm playing at 1600x1200 and the UI scaled like it should...although at that res it get a little hard to see some things in the UI...like text =)
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

Lo Vaquero wrote:I'm playing at 1600x1200 and the UI scaled like it should...although at that res it get a little hard to see some things in the UI...like text =)
Oh geez, you poor thing :P

I'd kill for a monitor with that resolution :(
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

I'm getting a third monitor soon at about that size lol. the 2nd one will most likely replace my TV since I won't need it now that I am running 2 computers through the same Monitors as well as KB+M. Should be a sweet setup once I get it finished.

I'm more or less wondering what the game would look like on a PS3, now that we'll be going to UT3 by next year hopefully. FTW lol.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:I'm more or less wondering what the game would look like on a PS3, now that we'll be going to UT3 by next year hopefully.
Hahah, you wish.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

What, it has a M+KB.. s'all good ;)

and yeah I do wish we get a DX:R for UT3 since the graphics technology lets us do some crazy shit to our NV textures :D
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Will you be making normal maps for all your textures though? 'Cause that seems like a lot of work.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Andrievskaya Veronika
UNATCO

Post by Andrievskaya Veronika »

Seems to be it useless for DXMP...
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Will you be making normal maps for all your textures though? 'Cause that seems like a lot of work.
Snipa and me have discussed it but we just don't know yet. (we were talking about it just after UT3 came out)
RAY16
Thug

Post by RAY16 »

Lo Vaquero wrote:This works quite nicely.

I'm playing at 1600x1200 and the UI scaled like it should...although at that res it get a little hard to see some things in the UI...like text =)
You should see it at 2048x1536. :P
Vavrek
UNATCO

Post by Vavrek »

huh.

I don't like it. I've spent a lot of time running at 1680x1050, and I've gotten very used to how the UI looks at that resolution. It isn't good, sure, but it's what I've been used to. Now, as I understand it, the devs implemented the UI scaling precisely because it looked too small at high resolutions... all you appear to have done is removed that. Hardly a 'fix', in my mind.

Call me when you've worked out an appropriate proportionate scaling method, or made high res icons that I can implement.
fox
X-51

Post by fox »

It's wonderfull at 1280*1024!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Vavrek wrote:Call me when you've worked out an appropriate proportionate scaling method, or made high res icons that I can implement.
How about you show some fucking gratitude, Vavrek? To be perfectly honest I don't give a shit what you're used to, and I don't think anybody else here does. If you want high-resolution versions of all the GUI textures, how about you go make them yourself you ungrateful little git. Like we have nothing better to do with our time than service your pampered little ass :?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
NVShacker
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by NVShacker »

It's ok, Jonas, he's entitled to his opinion.

@ Vavrek:
You are right in that it technically isn't a fix in that it disables intended behavior but several people find the upscaling ugly and would prefer to do without it; actually disabling the upscaling wasn't quite as easy to do as you seem to be implying. I personally am quite fond of the game's appearance at 1680x1050 without the upscaled HUD. Upscaling based on floating point values would be nice but I don't believe it can be easily done with the way DX's ui classes are structured. A few other people have noted that the game does become less readable at higher resolutions so I'll continue to look into it but I'm not particularly optimistic.

As for a high resolution HUD, that would be quite an undertaking; I'd gladly support anyone who attempted it with implementation and such but I'm hardly an artist so it doesn't really fall within my domain. Plus I imagine there would be some controversy as to what should be enhanced with the HUD just like with New Vision and HDTP so I wouldn't count on a project like that.

Anyways, since you're used to the HUD upscaling at a high resolution I imagine you'll be just fine using it as it is. I imagine my responses to the points you brought up will be of interest to others as well.
NVShacker
Are you still there?
RAY16
Thug

Post by RAY16 »

Personally, I think it looks perfect at 1600x1200. Beyond that it starts to become a a strain on the eyes to look at, but at 1600x1200 it's just about right.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

It shouldn't be a problem as long as you play in your native resolution. You don't really have any business playing in 1600x1200 on anything smaller than a 20" TFT monitor in the first place ;)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine