Testers Wanted: UI Scaling Fix

Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
RAY16
Thug

Post by RAY16 »

Jonas wrote:It shouldn't be a problem as long as you play in your native resolution. You don't really have any business playing in 1600x1200 on anything smaller than a 20" TFT monitor in the first place ;)
I don't have to deal with native resolutions, I'm on a 21" Trinitron CRT.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

NVShacker wrote:actually disabling the upscaling wasn't quite as easy to do as you seem to be implying.

Native code! The horror! The...horror!

I was impressed, anyway. :)

And yeah, vavrek: you're not being FORCED to use this.
Smike
Platypus

Post by Smike »

Vavrek, I agree with you, it's too small and weird-looking at any of the resolutions I play at, so I'm not using it either, but I think it's a great little option to have, right? There's PLENTY of folks who seriously enjoy the option and have demanded it over the years, so I think you should limit yourself to keeping your mouth shut when criticizing something that does not affect you in any way. If it came - NO OPTION TO DISABLE - with a game patch, I'd complain. Actually I'd complain and then just quickly mod it out. But this happens to be a wonderful downloadable fix that works fantastically well, so unless you have any issues with the application of its intended use, than any presentation of courtesy and dignity would not include criticism.

That's why the mob is after you, FYI. You see where you took a wrong turn, there? Well if you turn right, there's a bar at end of the block called "Catz Rool!" I'm hiding in there with Bill Clinton and Don Johnson. Don and I are layin' low, waiting for people to forget about Lindsay Lohan and The War on Terror. Bill's just hiding from Hillary.
Nameless Voice
UNATCO

Post by Nameless Voice »

It doesn't work for me.
I get this error:
---------------------------
Critical Error
Can't bind to native class otpUIfix.otpFixer

History: UClass::Bind <- (Class otpUIfix.otpFixer) <- ULinkerLoad::CreateExport <- (otpFixer 606) <- IndexToObject <- ULinkerLoad<<UObject <- (LinkerLoad Transient.LinkerLoad24 606)) <- SerializeExpr <- (20) <- SerializeExpr <- (12) <- UStruct::Serialize <- (Function otpUIfix.otpRootWindow.InitWindow) <- UFunction::Serialize <- LoadObject <- (Function otpUIfix.otpRootWindow.InitWindow 606==606/991 585 39) <- ULinkerLoad::Preload <- LinkProperties <- UStruct::Link <- UState::Link <- UClass::Link <- UStruct::Serialize <- (Class otpUIfix.otpRootWindow) <- UState::Serialize <- UClass::Serialize <- (Class otpUIfix.otpRootWindow) <- LoadObject <- (Class otpUIfix.otpRootWindow 606==606/991 624 104) <- ULinkerLoad::Preload <- PreLoadObjects <- UObject::EndLoad <- UObject::StaticLoadObject <- (Core.Class otpUIfix.otpRootWindow NULL) <- UObject::StaticLoadClass <- APlayerPawnExt::ConstructRootWindow <- APlayerPawnExt::InitRootWindow <- UObject::ProcessEvent <- (JCDentonMale DX.JCDentonMale0, Function DeusEx.DeusExPlayer.Possess) <- APlayerPawn::SetPlayer <- ULevel::SpawnPlayActor <- UGameEngine::Init <- XGameEngineExt::Init <- DDeusExGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine
OK
Deus Ex 1.112fm + HDTP, Windows XP SP2, 1.86Ghz Pentium M, 1.5GB RAM, ATI Radeon Mobility X300, seems to be the same regardless of which renderer I use.
NVShacker
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by NVShacker »

Arg, it's similar to the issue a guy I had testing this had, I never resolved it. All I know is for whatever reason the game is unable to load my DLL. Maybe there's some kind of dependency you're missing? I wish I could be more helpful but I never resolved that issue.
NVShacker
Are you still there?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Perhaps you could try re-installing the whole game? It's a long shot, but it might work.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

NVShacker wrote:Arg, it's similar to the issue a guy I had testing this had, I never resolved it. All I know is for whatever reason the game is unable to load my DLL. Maybe there's some kind of dependency you're missing? I wish I could be more helpful but I never resolved that issue.
Dependencywalker? http://www.dependencywalker.com/

When opening otpUIFix.dll, you should get a screen like this one:

If something is missing, you'll get something like this (in my case, I renamed detoured.dll):

Other cause might be:
Do you have DEP (Data Execution Prevention) enabled?

Some crazy people here say that defragging helps, but I seriously doubt that.
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
Nameless Voice
UNATCO

Post by Nameless Voice »

Turns out it needs the Visual C++ 8 runtime libraries.

Once I had that installed, it worked fine, giving me a nice 1400x1050 without the overscaled HUD. Excellent work!
NVShacker
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by NVShacker »

Glad you got it working! I sent a PM to the tester who had issues, hopefully it'll fix his issues as well.
NVShacker
Are you still there?
Vavrek
UNATCO

Post by Vavrek »

IRT: Jonas

the fuck, man? Are you having a bad day? (If so, I hope you feel better. If not, see the first question.)

IRT: General

I'm not saying it isn't a great option, nor am I intending to be overly hostile in my attitude. My lines are intended to be read with a tone of mild dissatisfaction, not abject disapproval. I don't mean to disrespect the amount of effort it took to implement (or de-implement, whatever), I'm simply saying that it's a rudimentary change rather than highly sophisticated one. Anybody who's paid attention to my participation in the mod community, slight as it was, can probably see that I don't have any of the skills or knowledge to go about doing any of this myself. As such, I have to evaluate matters purely on the end result, not on the difficulty of achievement.

How difficult this was, how elegant the operation, those things are incomprehensible to me at this time. I simply have faith that such things (This mod, the suggested floating-point scaling, a recreation of the UI icons in a higher resolution) are indeed possible, even if I wouldn't know where to start.

I wrote of my prior experience and tendencies because I'm used to dealing with people for whom some amount of wanting to please the audience is involved, along with a great deal of evaluation of the other person's preconceived notions. It's the standard in my circle of friends, I guess you could say, venturing "Well, my values/thoughts/opinions go like this on such and such issue, but then I've been doing such and such lately that affects my views."

I hope this clears matters up. I didn't intend to cause any strife, and I admit my words may have been a touch thoughtless.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Vavrek wrote:the fuck, man? Are you having a bad day? (If so, I hope you feel better. If not, see the first question.)
I was not having a bad day, but everything you write has an air of bored superiority, and in many cases this isn't a problem, but when you come in here and shrug off a non-trivial fix that one of our TNM programmers took time out from TNM to create because people had been clamoring for it for the better part of the year, you need to watch your damn tone, alright? I don't know if you even realize how arrogant your "mild dissatisfaction" came across, so I thought I'd call your attention to the fact. And I felt like employing a couple of cusswords to do so. So that's "the fuck".
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Why Ask?
Thug

Post by Why Ask? »

NVShacker wrote:Glad you got it working! I sent a PM to the tester who had issues, hopefully it'll fix his issues as well.
Hey, it works just fine now! Thanks to Nameless Voice for pointing it out and of course to NVShacker for fixing this problem. It looks great at 1280x1024. Cheers! :o
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Jonas wrote:Will you be making normal maps for all your textures though? 'Cause that seems like a lot of work.
For the most part it just involves running them through Crazybump, which supports batch processing I think. So except a few textures, it'd be fairly easy.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

That you forgot to mention in our discussion Snipa :D good to know. I think it'll look awesome once its done.. Do we have anything to test out to see how it looks? (like a render I mean, not actually in game since that'd be impossible)
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Turns out the new update also renders several other maps - specular, parralax etc. (all supported by UT3):

I've seen people implement normal maps into Half Life using an updated OpenGL Driver though (like the mod Paranoia). Wouldn't that be possible with Deus Ex?