Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Re: GMDX Advancement Mod v6.2 Release

Post by Cybernetic pig »

bjorn98009_91 wrote: No problem, we want you to succeed as well. :)
Thanks.

I have succeeded in that I won a Moddb award, few can say the same. I just can never truly finish this without support.

I'm downplaying the support I have received in the past though, from ggrotz, an anonymous donation, testers, my old partner, and many encouraging and insightful words, but I ultimately work alone and do not want it to be this way so the scope can be broadened.

I see every other big ambitious mod out there in no short supply of contributors (or those that are in need but are not alone regardless), and even many minor mods too, so I feel a little left in the dark sometimes.
rdaneel
Thug

Post by rdaneel »

In response to the comment that nobody is playing Deus Ex - I am still playing Deus Ex and by the fact that GMDX just won (editor's choice) Mod of the Year and the fact that Revision continues to go to the top ten popularity on Moddb every single time they even release a teaser update, I'd say there are others out there still playing and passionate about this game.

Cybernetic Pig - Chill out. You're doing good work and many in the Deus Ex community recognize and appreciate it. In your search for a "team" - you need to know that your aggressive attitude is not helping you win friends and influence people. Don't be so harsh with people... we're all friends here.

I'm excited about GMDX 7.0 - as I've watched the development of this mod over time, I've gone from "meh" to "whoa" in terms of thinking this is kind of a big deal upgrade for Deus Ex. I think GMDX at this point is at least on par with some of the other great gameplay mods such as Shifter and Biomod, and I would like to encourage CyberP to work with the Revision team to get GMDX (particularly hardcore mode) included as a gameplay variant for Revision 1.0. Also, merging the significant enhancements of GMDX with some of the additional tweaks, fixes, and upgrades of the other recent projects (Deus Ex 2.0 / Human Renovation) that aren't already incorporated into GMDX would make it a more complete and comprehensive upgrade still fully compatible with the spirit of vanilla Deus Ex.

CyberP - in 7.0 adding the credit cost to save points in HardCore mode is absolutely brilliant. I felt there was a problem with the hardcore save system previously but couldn't put my finger on it, but this slight change makes the whole thing now really come together into a compelling experience (at least in theory, I haven't played it obviously).

And finally, CyberP, I would be glad to help you test 7.0 with a couple of playthroughs and feedback. Contact me privately if you want to arrange this.
CodyM
Thug

Post by CodyM »

Sorry for being so late with posting feedback Cyber. It's great actually. Really enjoyed the mod. The changes and additions, though small in essence, are so many that it really improves overall gamepla experience by a ton. Keep it up. I look forward to future releases.

I'd ask if you would ever consider of making a biomod/shifter compatible version but I doubt that is possible considering that your mod changes things that they also effect.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

CodyM wrote: I'd ask if you would ever consider of making a biomod/shifter compatible version but I doubt that is possible considering that your mod changes things that they also effect.
It wont happen as they are incompatible from a design standpoint. I have taken some code from both though, and I plan to give back when GMDX eventually goes open source. Soon I will post all bugfixes I have made they they missed though, so they can adapt them.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Interaction with pickups is FOUR times as deep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfClbBb ... e=youtu.be
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Re: GMDX Advancement Mod v7 Release

Post by Cybernetic pig »

v7 of the award-winning Deus Ex 'GMDX' mod released.

Download Link: http://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx/downloads/gmdx-v7

Full v7 Changelog: http://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx/features ... -changelog

I've also updated the website to include all these new features, polished it up some, and finally got around to detailing the "individual weapon modifications" section.
Pay it a visit to see just how far this mod has come. A rather sizable mod.

Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Re: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v7 Release

Post by Cybernetic pig »

"More Immersive, More Sim-y: Deux Ex Mod GMDX Updated"

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/02 ... -mod-gmdx/
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Great work man!
Very positive article as well!
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9AFxBZUJCA

I am seeking team members (programmers & artists) to assist in making this a fully fleshed-out reality.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

http://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx/images

The aftermath of decapitation of the head. Still WIP.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

That looks damn cool, especially the knockback force makes the weapon seem substantially more powerful. What more work does it need?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
rdaneel
Thug

Post by rdaneel »

Very impressive work Cybernetic Pig. I especially like all the new non-lethal options such as the "stun PS20" and "taser darts". I had a brainstorm a few weeks ago about an alt-fire mode for the plasma rifle that would work something like a lightening gun - it would stun organics and do EMP damage to bots and electrics. But I see you already created a very cool alt-fire mode for it which is quite excellent in its own right and significantly enhances the Heavy Weapons skill.

The noisemaker feature of the spy drone is absolutely brilliant and I love it. I would still like to see the spy drone able to interact with the world, press buttons, access computers, etc.

I really like the stamina system as well.

I continue to think a lot about demolitions skill and I continue to be dissatisfied with it in terms of it not being on par with the other weapons skills. I want demolitions to be viable as a "primary" weapons skill in the same way as the other four, not so much as a "penalty" for not having it, but it being really useful in its own right. So I had a brainstorm. Suppose on Demolitions Master the player gains the ability to break open TNT crates and get the individual sticks of TNT inside. It seems like you could re-texture the flare pretty easily to serve this purpose. Each stick of TNT would be like a small grenade - smaller than a LAM, maybe similar to 20HE. Breaking open the TNT crates would be the only way to access this ammunition. This would allow grenades to become a viable "primary" weapon as a complete path through Deus Ex, as Pistol, Rifle, Heavy, and Melee already are. (And it would also sort of thematically explain why there are so many crates of TNT laying around everywhere?) Skill level advancement costs would have to be adjusted accordingly.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Jonas wrote:That looks damn cool, especially the knockback force makes the weapon seem substantially more powerful. What more work does it need?
Rather a lot in regards to decapitation. Knockback force is done aside from the testing phase.
I'm probably going to scrap the head decapitation. It is a lot of work, a lot of character models, and the hacky method I was using was not ideal...but nor is re-doing all the character models, animations and skins just for this functionality.
I can do it, but it is a hell of a lot of work just for head decapitation (let alone the arms/legs) so it is a matter of priorities, I'm sure you understand. Shame really, as it is indeed damn cool. Knockback force will remain though for high caliber weaponry.
The only way decapitation will happen is if the workload can be divided or a better method for it's implementation can be cooked up, which is unlikely.
Perhaps I'll change my mind and take it on, I'm a determined lunatic like that.
rdaneel wrote: I continue to think a lot about demolitions skill and I continue to be dissatisfied with it in terms of it not being on par with the other weapons skills. I want demolitions to be viable as a "primary" weapons skill in the same way as the other four, not so much as a "penalty" for not having it, but it being really useful in its own right. So I had a brainstorm. Suppose on Demolitions Master the player gains the ability to break open TNT crates and get the individual sticks of TNT inside. It seems like you could re-texture the flare pretty easily to serve this purpose. Each stick of TNT would be like a small grenade - smaller than a LAM, maybe similar to 20HE. Breaking open the TNT crates would be the only way to access this ammunition. This would allow grenades to become a viable "primary" weapon as a complete path through Deus Ex, as Pistol, Rifle, Heavy, and Melee already are. (And it would also sort of thematically explain why there are so many crates of TNT laying around everywhere?) Skill level advancement costs would have to be adjusted accordingly.
The problem with adding more explosives to the game is that they are an extremely useful multi-purpose tool. Blow open locked doors, blow up cameras, turrets, alarm units, robots & NPCs, they have the capability to blow up multiple targets also. Too many explosives will throw the RPG systems/general game balance off.
I agree that there should be more grenade types. I tried to make spiderbot grenades, but without artists I am often limited in what I can do. However, since I am now also using image editing software for the new gore I may now have the skills to make new textures for grenades, but then it would just be an obvious re-skin of the other grenade types, and I try to avoid obvious re-skins.

I do appreciate your suggestions nonetheless and I'll hit you up when the next version is ready for testing, if you are interested.