Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Re: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v7 Release

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Probably not. If I were going to do it I'd want to do it properly, and that would take a long time. Maybe if there was significant demand for it. Plus I need to play Revision first before I make any decisions.
There is a lot new to see and do in GMDX's level design at this point anyway so you shouldn't feel burnt out.

I'll take some screenshots or something showing the extent of the work.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Here's the Battery Park Bum Shanty Town: http://i1309.photobucket.com/albums/s64 ... wsxhe4.jpg

Vanilla: http://i.stack.imgur.com/yWG5P.jpg

Not sure how it compares to Revision, but improving the map visuals and adding little extra events and routes is just a little side hobby for me. All maps have had work, some more than others as previously stated, but when it comes to map work the overall focus has been on gameplay first.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

A cool new Weapon Modification Info Screen in collaboration with another Deus Ex modder (not on the team): http://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx/images/w ... on-ui-info

Also two individuals have stepped forward with promises of partnership. I'm hopeful that my vision can be fulfilled.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Cybernetic pig wrote:Brooklyn Naval Shipyard Warehouse: http://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx/images/b ... -warehouse
Cool. That map needs some extra work.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

http://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx <- Much prettier moddb page.

Nothing much else done today, just minor refinements & fixing vanilla bugs, as well as continued my current test playthrough for an hour or so. So much fun.
rdaneel
Thug

Post by rdaneel »

Cybernetic Pig,

Any news?

- rdaneel
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Development is still underway, although I've done next to nothing the past week, but I plan to pick up the pace again shortly.

Got a GoG Stream coming up: http://www.gog.com/news/coming_up_on_tw ... e89a68e0b8
WEDNESDAY, April 29th 8pm GMT / 4pm EDT / 1pm PDT: Hardcore Wednesdays: Deus Ex (+GMDX mod) with Alex, GOG.com crew

Other than that, since the last update with the cool UI weapon mod display there hasn't been much worth mentioning, just plenty tweaking and fine-tuning of systems, minor new features and the like, nothing grand for show & tell.
rdaneel
Thug

Post by rdaneel »

Cybernetic Pig,

Is there any truth to the rumor that you have joined the Revision team?
Has progress on GMDX v8 stalled due to this or some other reason?
If it's true that you have joined the Revision team, will the features and enhancements of GMDX be incorporated into Revision?
I have read of some fairly serious bugs in GMDX v7 that you mentioned on other boards are corrected in v8... would you recommend that I start a v7 play through or wait for v8?
Is there any ETA on v8?

-rdaneel
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

rdaneel wrote:Cybernetic Pig,

Is there any truth to the rumor that you have joined the Revision team?
Has progress on GMDX v8 stalled due to this or some other reason?
If it's true that you have joined the Revision team, will the features and enhancements of GMDX be incorporated into Revision?
I have read of some fairly serious bugs in GMDX v7 that you mentioned on other boards are corrected in v8... would you recommend that I start a v7 play through or wait for v8?
Is there any ETA on v8?

-rdaneel
Not on the Revision team.
Progress is not stalled, I just had a very short break and am now back, work well underway.
No known bugs in v8 currently. v7 is pretty polished also aside from a couple of avoidable issues, there's just one bug that has to be circumvented if you are unfortunate to run into it. Any other bugs are near-negligible and now fixed.
No ETA on v8, but you can have what I've got right now providing you are willing to report potential bugs, and optionally report general feedback. Just send me a PM if you want it.

Here's some updates for you. I've been active I just don't bother posting here much as it is a ghost town for the most part:

1. Deus Ex players will know that exceptionally annoying "you cannot drop this item here" message. Especially annoying when trying to drop via the inventory as you have to exit the inventory, look or move somewhere else, then try the drop again. Now the conditions are far more lenient, and you should rarely encounter this scenario in GMDX.

2. Story time: so I was fine-tuning the new item throw code (you can throw inventory items, most notably weapons, at NPCs to deal damage now) and I was throwing all my weapons at a NSF to test. Emergence happened with my new systems: the NSF shot the crowbar out of the air and it flew to the ground instead of in his face. He then put me down with some follow-up shots.
This was an emergent interaction of the new weapon throwing and expanded physics systems.

3. Misc bits: quite a lot of level design work has been done. Same for audio design: lots of filling in the missing details from the vanilla game (but that is 70% of what this mod is, really). Bugs stumped out as previously mentioned. A moddb member ported a laser gun from another game that I then worked on, polished up and uploaded as an optional community-made add-on (not sure if I want it in the full game for a number of reasons). I am still looking for people to help out by contributing animations, advanced programming knowledge/efforts and such. Hell I'd take over HDTP development too if the artists were there.
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Sat May 09, 2015 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hanfling
MJ12

Post by Hanfling »

Cybernetic pig wrote:Cybernetic Pig,dvanced programming knowledge/efforts and such
I'm considering a rewise of my CoolBits package, to form it into some kind of ready to use package which would apply various other native programming related issues to somewhat complement my Launcher before people start to complain about that it does not touch UI Scale, and tons of other crap it should not do.

However, this mostly consists of an extended GameEngine class which replaces several native function (old crappy TraceTexture(), etc.), fixing the RELAUNCH command, adding (optional) events for the RootWindow as an event where you can calculate the overall UI Drawing scale by UC code (e.g. you could just add some preconfigured option there or even go ahead and use different ui scale for cinematics, binocs, whatever) along with events which gets called when NewChild() is invoked, which can be used to nearly replace any UI Element in the game without having to pull in tons of other classes, when you don't want to modify DeusEx.u (and actually I'll use that to hook in some smaller fixes in window code, like needless limited count of resolutions selectable, wrong display of free space between 2-4 TB.). However these events for the RootWindow actually just depend on that your UC class has these events, and not on a single specific class or superclass, so how CoolBits would have that part in is just by setting it to the CoolBitsRootWindow, so you could continue using your old RootWindow class and just add these events if desired and all coolbits UI changes would be gone away (although they focus on replacing just as much as needed, like just an enum, so they should rather work rather reliable with different mods). If they are not present it will fall back to old behavior. As an addition i'll throw in some commandlet which have proven quite invaluable for development (Audiopackage, MusicPackages, ListObjects, etc.).

So if you have interesst in using it, i can give it some higher priority as i'm right now rather much focused on OpenGLDrv, ALAudio and texture import related stuff.
I demand my DXE User ID back. Launcher for DeusEx, Rune, Nerf, Unreal & Botpack. HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Better TraceTexture() would be great, for reliable footsteps right?

"replace any UI Element in the game without having to pull in tons of other classes"

This would be great because fuck UI code.

When I say I desire an advanced programmer it is primarily to execute design ideas that I cannot, such as the decals on actors & melee systems I asked you about, and other such things like step sounds for climbing ladders (I hacked it in but it uses GetWallMaterial()/TraceTexture() and it is even more unreliable for tracing wall tex than it is floor tex it seems as it often decides to just not play the ladder sounds when it should). These ideas and many more...maybe when you are done with OpenGL, ALAudio (what is ALAudio?).
Not only that, but I'd like to learn as much as I can from a advanced programmer too. I wish I could see what native is doing sometimes. Maybe I should ask questions in DXEditing more often.
Hanfling
MJ12

Post by Hanfling »

Cybernetic pig wrote:Better TraceTexture() would be great, for reliable footsteps right?
Oh it is, where before WanChai Street had huge issues in Maggie Chows appartment you now notice minor detail you have missed before, like the different footsteps for the different floor textures used in the foyer. :)
However, although i expanded the trace to movers I'm still unsure if it really does work correct and if not i should be able to sort the remaining issues out once someone supplies me some stripped down test map with movers (basically boxes with different textures on each side and different texture on whole other level geo).
Cybernetic pig wrote:When I say I desire an advanced programmer it is primarily to execute design ideas that I cannot.
I'm aware that you were refering to this.
Cybernetic pig wrote:What is ALAudio?
http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/ ... oard=Sound
I demand my DXE User ID back. Launcher for DeusEx, Rune, Nerf, Unreal & Botpack. HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

I need some help from a programmer that is experienced in UI coding to create a considerable expansion to the skill system. Any help would be greatly appreciated and the end result will do a lot for the game.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

I also need help with some more new AI intelligence. Nothing too complex, but stuff that should be human common sense for the AI and is much needed.