Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Waruar
Thug

Character icons

Post by Waruar »

After tormenting the users of the Deus Ex: Reborn forum, I find my way here. Please, treat me nice. :P

I recall there was someone a long time ago asking if the icons of the characters talking via communicator were going to be redone, considering they don't really look that good compared to the new models. As I can't find the thread anymore or remember what the answer was, I hereby ask the same question again: Will you be making new character icons for the new models?

I would do it myself, if I knew how to. All I can do is use Photoshop a little bit. In fact I already made a few pics, that somewhat resemble the icons seen in the game. I used images of the HDTP-models, found in ModDB or here.

Anna Navarre:

Gunther Hermann:
"I see you. A thief on the roof!"

Paul Denton:

Walton Simmons:
"You ended up working for us after all. How ironic."

Bob Page:

I believe that character icons like these would be an awesome improvement. What do you think? :)
Cry out my name. Desire my soul.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Very nice, but there are three changes you should do before these could be used:

1) They should be 64x64 pixels.
2) They should have a grey background (use Generate Clouds in PS).
3) There shouldn't be any static, the game adds that.

Also, it'd be best if they're all more of less facing the "camera", as per the originals. Meaning Paul's would need to be changed :)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

They look very cool!

Yeah, I agree with Jonas, Paul does need to be facing the camera if there is a picture out there for you to work with.
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
Mak Denton
NSF

Post by Mak Denton »

No, they look great! ;)
Waruar
Thug

Post by Waruar »

Thanks everyone!
I knew that the static was in the game itself. I just added it for the mood. Without it the overall feeling of the icons is just wrong.
And the reason Paul is facing the other direction is that I actually wanted to hear your opinion, whether it would look good or not. Apparently all the characters should be facing the camera. (:

So, 64x64 pixels with grey backround next time. I could do icons for all the characters, but I don't have all the HDTP -models to use. On the other hand, it's quite an easy job, so I guess anyone could finish the job in just one day.

Then there are also icons that don't need any redoing. Such as Daedalus or Icarus.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Is it just me or does Walton Simmons look fucking awesome :D I mean seriously I love the new version, just that attitude coming from his face is gold.

Bob Page looks a bit weird though.. something with the highlights.. Avoid using color dodges for interface related stuff since if you over do it.. it comes off looking shiat!.
CryptoQuick
Thug

Post by CryptoQuick »

The noise makes it look like you did that in the Indigo renderer, but didn't put enough time towards getting a more defined picture or better settings. :P

The Indigo renderer rocks your socks.
Akerfeldt
UNATCO

Post by Akerfeldt »

Damn, those look good.
Waruar
Thug

Post by Waruar »

Okay, I made the same icons again, but this time with the size 64x64 pixels, gray backround and without noise.

Image Image Image Image

You know what really sucks when you scale the images like that? All the precious detail is lost !
By the way, should the icons be more desaturated?
fox
X-51

Post by fox »

They've lost their hair!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

The framing is pretty bad, you should fit their whole heads in each image - try to match the originals :)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
ZylonBane
UNATCO

Post by ZylonBane »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:Is it just me or does Walton Simmons look fucking awesome
Technically and artistically? Yes.

True to the character? Hell no. Compared to the original Walton Simons, he looks like a slope-browed, beady-eyed thug. The artist may as well have tattooed a swastika on his forehead.

And don't even get me started on the "Cruella de Vil" update to Anna.
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

ZylonBane wrote:
Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:Is it just me or does Walton Simmons look fucking awesome
Technically and artistically? Yes.

True to the character? Hell no. Compared to the original Walton Simons, he looks like a slope-browed, beady-eyed thug. The artist may as well have tattooed a swastika on his forehead.

And don't even get me started on the "Cruella de Vil" update to Anna.
PLEASE, Zylon, we've already been over this in the character thread. Just give it a break already :/

And I agree with Jonas, you should try to keep the portraits in-line with the originals. Other than that, I think they'll look very impressive in-game ; good job so far! :)
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

ZylonBane wrote:Technically and artistically? Yes.

True to the original incredibly low-detail multipurpose character model with only a unique texture to distiguish it from the main fucking character, the main character's brother, gordon quick, and even various homeless people? Hell no. Which is not terribly surprising, really.

True to the image I, ZylonBane, lord of all, have in MY head? Hell no.

Compared to the original Walton Simons, he looks like a High definition, extremely well-crafted, lovingly-detailed mean-ass nano-aug in a suit, which to my mind makes him a slope-browed, beady-eyed thug. When I get hold of the model, I shall edit the packages and change the texture to tattoo a swastika on his forehead. Because I am ZylonBane, and I DO that sort of thing.

Better?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I approve.
Jonas Wæver