Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Andrievskaya Veronika
UNATCO

Re: What to Install to Get All HD Textures and Related MODS

Post by Andrievskaya Veronika »

I don't know about limits for different versions. But i have this one: https://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1136498
fretzie
Thug

Post by fretzie »

Andrievskaya Veronika,

Wow! A Russian site. I'm afraid I only know English, but I don't even know that at the level of expert. I manage. Ha! I did follow your advice and I opened an account at Discord. I haven't figured out how to use it, though. I have the desktop app. I've not ever seen anything like that before. We'll see how it goes. Thanks.

Fred
Andrievskaya Veronika
UNATCO

You need to click this (you need to have uTorrent installed)
Скачать раздачу по magnet-ссылке · 6.5 GB
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Andrievskaya Veronika wrote:Currently only you and me here.
I've been reading. I looked at the source (mainly Kentie's re-compile stuff) to find where it addresses save games, but I can't say I see that in source. I'm sure I missed what I'm looking for (or where to look for it). If I knew where to look, it probably wouldn't be too hard to change the function that saves those games (or recompile if you have all the source) and force a new directory, but I sure didn't see it in the stuff I looked at.

Of course, once upon a time, I actually did do a detours type hook with DEUSEX.EXE once that optimizes the space used on saved games (ala the function on my loader), so not sure given saveinfo.dxs if that would work. Especially since I unsuccessfully tried copying a saved game to a new directory, renaming the directory and seeing if it would load and go from there.

Finding where the save game number is stored in that file (the hard part), and resetting it (the easy part) would probably kludge a solution out of this as I know manipulating how the save games are saved is very possible. I didn't see specific path data in saveinfo.dxs so it'd probably is just a number in the file somewhere. Might play with it when I get the time...

I imagine though it's hard for anyone to imagine someone saving that many times, which is why the limit is there. I'm doing a Deus Ex play right now and have 24 at the Hong Kong Market.
fretzie
Thug

Post by fretzie »

ggrotz,

It would be good if you could locate and change the script that specifies the save limit. Maybe it's doable after all. I can understand it can be hard for someone to believe that one can need more than 999 saves. On the other hand, one shouldn't decide how someone else should play options in these games.

I save a lot for all the obvious reasons, mainly because I had no idea that they were limited to 999, until it happened. Being unfamiliar with the game, I get knocked off a lot, and not to mention I make a lot of mistakes. Save, save and save some more to survive and to continue to fight another day. Ha ha.

I'm now trying to find a download of the game that doesn't have the 999 limit. How to know?

Fred

Edit: In a previous post, above, Andrievskaya Veronika posted the following: Code:
// ----------------------------------------------------------------------
// CreateGamesList()
//
// Creates the listbox containing the save games
//
// Column 0 = Save Description (typed by user)
// Column 1 = Human Readable Date/Time stamp
// Column 2 = Sort column on Julian date
// Column 3 =
// Column 4 = Save File Index (0 - 9999)
// ----------------------------------------------------------------------

function CreateGamesList()

I don't know where he found this code, but maybe he can shed some light on this subject. Anyway, that 9999 limit shown could just be the same as what I have. When you hit 1,000, the saves go no further. There is no 1,001, 1,002, etc.

I now suspect that there is no Deus Ex version with a save limit beyond 9999. That figure gets one to 1,000, and no further..

Fred
Last edited by fretzie on Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
fretzie
Thug

Post by fretzie »

Andrievskaya Veronika,

You say I need uTorrent installed. May I ask why? I'm not familiar with uTorrent, and I have no idea what it's for.

Fred
Andrievskaya Veronika
UNATCO

To download torrent contents. Here is version i use: https://yadi.sk/d/BtK54D8T3aFREs
fretzie
Thug

Post by fretzie »

Andrievskaya Veronika,

I found information on the Internet about uTorrent. I now have a good idea about it. It has disadvantages, some dangerous, as well as advantages. I'll decide whether I need or want it. We'll see.

Fred
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

fretzie wrote: Being unfamiliar with the game, I get knocked off a lot, and not to mention I make a lot of mistakes. Save, save and save some more to survive and to continue to fight another day. Ha ha.
I always just kept saves to starts of certain sequences, simply because if I screwed up I needed to redo it to be sure I'd get better. Unless it's a tricky sequence of the game that isn't necessarily nice (axes and Shadowcode come to mind with TNM).
fretzie wrote: I now suspect that there is no Deus Ex version with a save limit beyond 9999. That figure gets one to 1,000, and no further..
I did make another little test where I copied a saved game and gave it a directory name of Save9999, and it successfully loaded. Then I saved it and got Save1000. Then repeated the save and still had Save1000, effectively overwriting my last save (but it still worked). So I verified your problem in a much easier way than simply making all the saved games.

So I'm guessing somewhere that there's a Number to String and String To Number function that's being limited to three characters and then if it's greater, defaulting to 1000. As all I have is the Kentie stuff (mainly what he added, coupled with a bunch of LIB files that is supposed to compile the loader), I don't see any specific code that forms the paths to the saved games.

Interesting part is that I deleted my extra save games within the program, still had my Save9999, and when I tried to load that, I got nothing.

So questions:
1. Was that part of the source released or could it be replaced with a descendant? If it was, it'd be a trivial thing to fix. I can try looking through what I have here more, but not having the complete source makes it pretty hard to tell what could be done to fix it.

2. How does Deus Ex tell what save game number to try and use? I think in copying that save game over to Save9999 that I proved there isn't anything in Deus Ex proper that keeps it from reading save games > 1000. My guess is that it's reading it off the directory and then trimming to 3 digits, then attempting to use that value for any subsequent saves.

3. So barring not having the source somewhere to this (It's gotta be somewhere!), would a detours type solution be possible? More or less a stub exe and then a DLL to inject into DeusEx.exe to make the change. Basically intercepting all the API calls used to Save things (I proved in the other project that it's possible) and then replacing the path with the true high number saved elsewhere on disk if it happens to be 999.

4. Would #3 be worth doing knowing that it might not be a fix at all?
fretzie
Thug

Post by fretzie »

ggrotz,

I'm not a mapper or coder, so I can't comment on any of the questions you ask. That bit of code I included in my comments above was posted previously by Andrievskaya Veronika. Maybe he can comment further about that and provide additional informaton to help. He seems to know something about mapping and coding, but I should let him speak for himself.

Good luck in finding a solution to this save limit. I'm rooting fur ya.

Fred
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

fretzie wrote: He seems to know something about mapping and coding, but I should let him speak for himself.
More or less it was just general notes for whoever that might want to try it, including duplicating the problem you noted on the first hand. That said, I'm not incredibly sure a seamless solution outside of having all the source and recompiling it would be possible. When I get the chance, I can look at all the source I ended up with, but there's people more versed in this than I am out there.
fretzie
Thug

Post by fretzie »

ggrotc,

OK, I'll check in from time-to-time to see how it's going for you. I've taken programming courses in a classroom setting, but I've never had a job where I had to do it for a living. Even so, I can still understand the problem you talk about. These issues get complicated, I know.

Fred
fretzie
Thug

Post by fretzie »

All,

I've now concluded that I should try soon a new playthrough, with the goal of staying within the 1,000 save limit. Now that I'm aware of that limit, I should be able to gauge my saves accordingly. I didn't understand all that previously. Like they say, if at first you don't succeed, try, try again. #-o

Fred
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

fretzie wrote: I've now concluded that I should try soon a new playthrough, with the goal of staying within the 1,000 save limit. Now that I'm aware of that limit, I should be able to gauge my saves accordingly. I didn't understand all that previously. Like they say, if at first you don't succeed, try, try again. #-o

Fred
That's probably best. When I looked through the SDK all I found was the equivalent of a C .H file but didn't find any code to know what needs to be redone. If it's redone, outside of a hooks thing it'd probably need to be redone for every mod out there. The problem outside of having the code or other documentation would be figuring out what each of these functions do and then trying to duplicate it. I get the feeling I need to find the code that CALLS these things since "saveIndex" is key for the number on the save file directory, and it's getting truncated at 1000 somewhere along the line. I don't know the code base all that well though to be too authoritative.

Code: Select all

native(3080) final function GetGameDirectory();
native(3081) final function int GetNewSaveFileIndex();
native(3082) final function String GenerateSaveFilename(int saveIndex);
native(3083) final function String GenerateNewSaveFilename(optional int newIndex);
native(3084) final function int GetDirCount();
native(3085) final function String GetDirFilename(int fileIndex);
native(3086) final function SetDirType(EGameDirectoryTypes newDirType);
native(3087) final function SetDirFilter(String strFilter);
native(3088) final function DeusExSaveInfo GetSaveInfo(int fileIndex);
native(3089) final function DeusExSaveInfo GetSaveInfoFromDirectoryIndex(int DirectoryIndex);
native(3090) final function DeusExSaveInfo GetTempSaveInfo();
native(3091) final function DeleteSaveInfo(DeusExSaveInfo saveInfo);
native(3092) final function PurgeAllSaveInfo();
native(3093) final function int GetSaveFreeSpace();
native(3094) final function int GetSaveDirectorySize(int saveIndex);
fretzie
Thug

Post by fretzie »

ggrotz,

Good to hear that you have worked with the goal to fix the save problem. If it can't be fixed, so be it. Code is a complicated process, and it can be an arcane undertaking to fix something after the fact.

I'll post back to report how I'm doing with my new playthrough, what with me ignoring my save fetish. I haven't started it yet, as I have other games taking precedence at this time. I'll get to it.

Fred