Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Hashi
Silhouette

What resolution will the HDTP support?

Post by Hashi »

I dont know if a thread like this has been brought up before, Im sorry if it has.

Well I recently bought a 22 inch LCD monitor and its native res is
1680 x 1050

Anything else and it looks too thin or too wide as the monitor stretches the image to fit the wide screen.

So Im curious, what resolutions will HDTP support?

thanks
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

HDTP does not change/affect the native resolution of the original DX game :)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

You can use the OTP User Interface Fix by NVShacker to increase the game to your native resolution without making the GUI look bad, but be warned that the game will still look pretty weird in widescreen.

http://thenamelessmod.com/downloads/miscfiles/
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Wasn't there something like POV that you could influence for more widescreen friendly stuff?
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Yeah but IIRC, even then the weapons look weird because you'll be able to see the missing polies.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Re: What resolution will the HDTP support?

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Hashi wrote: Anything else and it looks too thin or too wide as the monitor stretches the image to fit the wide screen.
Can't you set the monitor to preserve aspect ratio and put black bars on the side or something to fit resolutions that aren't 16:9 or whatever ratio your monitor is? I know I would much rather have a 3:4 game run with empty space on the sides of the monitor image rather than being stretched to fit the full screen.
NVShacker
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by NVShacker »

DX running at a widescreen resolution isn't exactly stretched, what happens is closer to a cropping effect because the fov is the same removing some of the vertical information. I personally don't mind but it looks weird to some people (1280x1024 users get the same effect at a slightly smaller scale iirc)
NVShacker
Are you still there?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

NVShacker wrote:(1280x1024 users get the same effect at a slightly smaller scale iirc)
Really? Weird, that's my native res, but I never noticed - but I guess I never tried it any other way so even if it is weird, I wouldn't realize it.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Hashi
Silhouette

Post by Hashi »

Ahhh, K thanks for the help....

So it shouldn't look too bad anyway?

I suppose I'll live. Its a 8 year old game now, and its not like were all playing this for the graphics.
Lappi
Thug

Post by Lappi »

I just had to register to this board after about 2+ years(!) of lurking to help you out with this one.
If you have a widescreen pc monitor and enjoy gaming then http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/ is an awesome site,
you just click on the image of some gameboxes and there you have a widescreen solution
to almost every game imaginable.

For the widescreen solution for Deus Ex visit: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wi ... hp/Deus_Ex and read what to do for a screen with your aspect ratio, which is 16:10.

Hope this have helped some people out! ;)
Ibanez and Laney amps are the coolest.
Y|yukichigai
UNATCO

What might help....

Post by Y|yukichigai »

Since HDTP runs off of a custom DeuxEx.u already, it might be advantageous to make a change I've made to Shifter: expand the array size of the variable that lists available resolutions. I discovered that on top of the limitations of the old version of DirectX DX uses by default, the GUI will only parse 16 resolutions when it asks your system what resolutions it supports. That cut me off just over 1280x1024. Expanding the value to, say, 48, allows me to select ALL resolutions my card supports, at least when I'm using the updated DirectX engine or any of the OpenGL ones.

I believe the variable in question is in the menuscreendisplay (or similar) class; I'm in a rush so I can't check right now.
minus0ne
Mole Person

Post by minus0ne »

Jonas wrote:Yeah but IIRC, even then the weapons look weird because you'll be able to see the missing polies.
Totally not true. I've been playing Deus Ex at 1680x1050 (16:10 AR) for years now and I haven't run into anything odd-looking at all, on several playthroughs. All it requires is a couple of INI edits.

I highly recommend anyone with a widescreen monitor to check out WSGF.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Jonas was talking about what happens if you tweak the FOV, which certainly does show you missing polys (and hell: hovering severed hands, too).

In fact, as NVShacker points out, DX in widescreen doesn't do it that way anyway, but uses the same FOV and simply slices off some of the top and bottom to make it widescreen.

So actually, you're getting less total information in widescreen, but the information you DO get is 'bigger'. If that makes sense?
Hashi
Silhouette

Post by Hashi »

Hey guys, I now have brand new 100 inch moniter, and the native res on that is 40960 X 30720, so hopefully HDTP supports that res
39936 x 29952 res just doesnt cut it for games really.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

100 inch monitor? Seriously? What... like a projector or something?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine