Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
_Alex_
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by _Alex_ »

DDL wrote:So when you say
It looks alot like IS just tweaked the standard female model abit
you actually mean "it looks like IS just used the same skin-tweak trick they used for ALMOST EVERY OTHER CHARACTER IN THE ENTIRE GAME"?

Well that somehow doesn't surprise me....so why should it come as a surprise to you? Confused.

It's not a suprise, John. It's an observation. One i'm factoring into my re-design. Clearly, if the original artwork were stronger, i wouldn't have to think outside the box so much. This is the first time, in all of my re-designs that i've come across this problem.

Regarding filmstars and ethnicity. So what's your point? Some kind of statement on the callous, racial biased thugs westerners are? I'm sure asian filmmakers are equally reluctant to use stars who don't have attractive, *asian* features.

But wanna know what the fun part about video games is?

We dont have to care about any of this.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

That's a good point, and well made...but the question is: does this mean Maggie wasn't as asian looking as she could be by accident, or by design?

I mean, max chen and our favorite fat maid have definite epicanthic eyefolds, and gordon quick does to a lesser extent (he's makes up for it with those pimping eyebrows, anyway).

So clearly they CAN do..if not 'proper asian', at least 'more asian'.

Which they didn't for maggie. So...go figure.

The sort of look I have in MY mind is definitely more westernised than that in yours, but then I think the old-school DX models did a pretty good job of conveying femaleness, and you clearly don't, so obviously we're going to be coming at this from different perspectives.

Still, if it were me, and I had anything close to your texturing skills, I'd probably soften the features a wee bit, to bring her more into line with what the original maggie kinda looks like. Only, you know: good*.

*just to clarify, you've got the 'good' part utterly nailed, it's the level of difference in ethnicity that I'm commenting on, not the difference in quality.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Why take out the chubbiness? The original model looked a bit porky to me (though apparently it was the same model as everyone else and everyone else looked fine :O). At least widen her head and cheeks a tad.
Also a slightly less prominent chin.
I think that hair will look good once it's fully fleshed out.

Also, I'm pretty sure the point of the racial attributes of movie stars comment was that even outside the Western world, the movie stars and celebrities of most countries tend to have features similar to white American celebrities as most every culture in the world has been influenced by our white American celebrities. :P
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Does anybody else think her nose is disconcertingly long, or is that just me? Earnest question, btw, it could just be me, in which case change is unnecessary.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
_Alex_
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by _Alex_ »

Jonas wrote:Does anybody else think her nose is disconcertingly long, or is that just me? Earnest question, btw, it could just be me, in which case change is unnecessary.
thanks for pointing that out. In fact, i dont think it's the nose's length that's amiss, but the size of her nasal ala is not in proportion to the size of the rest of the nose. It should be larger. *runs to fix*
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Oh yeah I guess that's right. Thanks :)

Excellent work so far, btw, in case I didn't point that out clearly enough earlier.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

I've given crits direct to Alex ;)

Brilliant start - only 2 issues imo - the eyebrow thickness (should be thinner) and the lips (thinner and lighter) :)

Fabulous!!!!
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I'm sorry, I think it's hilarious. The face is great, unique, interesting, very well done. There's nothing to the original model but a dress, and you've created a real character model. It's just the hair. That's fine. Lots of people have funny hair, but that's really funny hair. Not critiquing the model saying this. What gave the inspiration for the style? Gotta keep it like that :)

It looks like those old 2d Deus Ex potted office ferns are growing out of her head, or she overaccessorized with these combs-

How does it look with a more complex background, as it might in-game? The hair is striking against a solid gray background. As an aside (</digital hair comment dept.>), that signature image looks incredible.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Yeah I gotta admit I'm really worried about how the hair will look in-game as well because DX doesn't support alpha channels :?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
_Alex_
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by _Alex_ »

Jonas wrote:Yeah I gotta admit I'm really worried about how the hair will look in-game as well because DX doesn't support alpha channels :?
It does, however support masks i believe. Just might mean some fiddling is required :P
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

First, thanks _Alex_ for sharing this with us.

I like your model. In my humber opinions the colour of her eyebrows should be just like the colour of the hair (which are very black) and perhaps, if possible, a small reduction of the upper lip.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

_Alex_ wrote:It does, however support masks i believe. Just might mean some fiddling is required :P
I don't think it does. It does support modulation and translucency though, if you don't mind your hair being a little transparent. It's the only way I know of to properly anti-alias a texture.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
_Alex_
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by _Alex_ »

Jonas wrote:
_Alex_ wrote:It does, however support masks i believe. Just might mean some fiddling is required :P
I don't think it does. It does support modulation and translucency though, if you don't mind your hair being a little transparent. It's the only way I know of to properly anti-alias a texture.
I know there's a color (a pink / purple color) you can paint areas of your texture that is recognized by the engine as a transparent color. I'm almost positive this is how the old engine handles opacity masks. Even if the result is aliased , and not blended in any way , it doesnt really matter. Because the hair textures have been tiled and repeated so much, they will end up looking quite soft no matter what :)
Michael_TSM
NSF

Post by Michael_TSM »

Don't the ladders and some chairs in Deus Ex use some kind of transparency?
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Well, purple is usually used - but it's whatever colour is last in the colour pallette.