Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

Yeah, I'd like to see the bots, will they be shown soon?
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
Dead-eye
X-51

Post by Dead-eye »

mmmm... modeling robots, thats something I'm good at... I think?

I really don't understand what you guys are all getting excited about. HDTP will never come out anytime soon. There is a chance it will be done before Deus Ex 3... Hopefully a little earlier. But really not anytime soon.

I wonder how HDTP can change things if it comes out near the time Deus Ex 3 dose. Would that effect CD sales? If is dose it could only be for the better... but then we would have 10 times as many Deus Ex fans who where not on this web site when it looked like Deus Ex was a dieing world. Maybe we should form a group all the fans of Deus Ex after inviable war. You know your a die hard fan then... I guess.
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

Personally I am excited by the fact that HDTP is progressing.

And how do you know that there won't be a release anytime soon, Dead-eye?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Dead-eye wrote:I really don't understand what you guys are all getting excited about. HDTP will never come out anytime soon.
Says you :roll:
Maybe we should form a group all the fans of Deus Ex after inviable war.
Yes because that's exactly what the Deus Ex community needs: More arbitrary elitism.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
_Alex_
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by _Alex_ »

Dead-eye wrote:mmmm... modeling robots, thats something I'm good at... I think?

I really don't understand what you guys are all getting excited about. HDTP will never come out anytime soon. There is a chance it will be done before Deus Ex 3... Hopefully a little earlier. But really not anytime soon.

I wonder how HDTP can change things if it comes out near the time Deus Ex 3 dose. Would that effect CD sales? If is dose it could only be for the better... but then we would have 10 times as many Deus Ex fans who where not on this web site when it looked like Deus Ex was a dieing world. Maybe we should form a group all the fans of Deus Ex after inviable war. You know your a die hard fan then... I guess.

All of this assumes DX3 doesnt follow in the footsteps of Harvey Smith's fecal matter, so i wouldn't count your chickens before they hatch.

Also, HDTP is an enhancement for a great game. even if a sequel comes out that *is* decent, it will still be a welcome way to bring some of the magic of DX1 back for people looking for a retro fix. I know i dust it off once every few years for another playthrough. it's like a ritual.

I dont think DX3 could possibly affect that.
CaptainObvious
Thug

Post by CaptainObvious »

What about trees? Have any tree models been done already? Not that there are that many of them in Deus Ex, but the original models are pretty crappy.

Back in the days when 3d accelerated graphics were younger I always used to judge the graphics quality of a game on how the trees and plants looked, since there were either none or they looked, well, not convincing most of the time.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

I think it'd be cool to add a slight animation to the tree's, would make the maps look a whole lot cooler if the trees were moving a bit.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Yeah I'd really like to see some plants too. The trees are my pet peeve of DX, the main factor that makes the game look ancient. Two out of three trees in DX look absolutely terrible, and the third is just really low-poly.

It would be so fantastic if more variants were modelled and DDL then coded up a randomizing function in the class' properties, but that's probably asking too much :)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Aren't trees static meshes? Which would mean that you'd have to change the levels?

I don't know, I'm just wondering ;)
If not, trees would be great :D
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

Dead-eye wrote:I really don't understand what you guys are all getting excited about. HDTP will never come out anytime soon. There is a chance it will be done before Deus Ex 3... Hopefully a little earlier. But really not anytime soon.
I'm sorry - have I missed something?

Just how on Gods green earth would you know that Dead-eye? Do you have inside info on HDTP that even I don't have??

Jeez Louise :roll:
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

There are no meshes in DX that are so static they can't be changed by their own code at run-time.

[EDIT] METCHE! We, the entitled hordes, demand screenshots of HDTP trees! Deliver or incur our wrath :evil:
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
CaptainObvious
Thug

Post by CaptainObvious »

I doubt the trees are part of the level geometry, every other game has trees as separate 3d objects, why would DX be different?

And yeah we demand to see trees! If our demands are not met I'll bite this kitties head off!

Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

We have our own hires TNM Tree Jonas, look at that for a while and sate your hunger for violence.

Perhaps the tree could be the next POTW for the next TNM update?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

CaptainObvious wrote:I doubt the trees are part of the level geometry, every other game has trees as separate 3d objects, why would DX be different?
We're not talking about level geometry (aka. Constructive Solid Geometry, or CSG), we're talking about static meshes, which fall under the category of "seperate 3d objects". The thing is, though, that they're only called static meshes because they can't be vertex animated. There's no problem with moving, scaling, or reskinning them at runtime.
Phasmatis wrote:We have our own hires TNM Tree Jonas, look at that for a while and sate your hunger for violence.
Is that actually high-res though? Last time I looked, it was just a variant of the nicer of the old DX trees, with a similarly sized texture as the old trees, even.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

It's hires in the fact that it has a load of polys and looks better than any tree in any game anywhere.