Lend me your cycles

Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Akerfeldt
UNATCO

Post by Akerfeldt »

Man, this GFM_Dress is the model from hell.
Nameless Voice
UNATCO

Post by Nameless Voice »

I'm still getting recv timeout.

It worked fine during the first test a few days ago.
youreoverhere
Mole Person

Post by youreoverhere »

Working perfectly here. Glad to be able to contribute something worthwhile even with my complete lack of modeling skills :D

It seems to be speeding through frames on my computer, which can only be a good thing.

You HDTP guys rock, keep up the good work.

:)
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

Thank you so much all of you - you're really helping out HDTP :)

@Phasmatis - :p ;)
AgentSmithereens
Silhouette

Post by AgentSmithereens »

I'm not sure what I'm meant to be doing, but I opened the exe and at first nothing happened, but then some random lines of meaningless (to me) stuff appeared in a command prompt. I left it for a few hours as I went out and I came back and it said 'Connect failed c' and seemed to have stopped. Then it started to produce more lines again.
So is this meant to happen? Sorry, I'm not very good at computers, or at least something like this. I don't even know why I'm supposed to be doing it, something about helping HDTP :? Also am I allowed to close it? It's making my computer run really slowly.
Last edited by AgentSmithereens on Fri May 16, 2008 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nameless Voice
UNATCO

Post by Nameless Voice »

I got it working now.
Turns out that the internet monitor module from Nod32 (antivirus) was interfering with it. At the time when I tested it the first time, I had, by chance, not had Nod32 active.
After making a rule for it to ignore the program, everything works again.

First time Nod32 has ever let me down... :(

Anyway, one more CPU on the task now!

AgentSmithereens: It should be outputting pages of output along these lines:
frame: 98, joint: r_ankle
0.000000 0.000000 0.000000
It would be nice if it also gave the filename it was working on. :)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Alright since Akerfeldt is a n00b who doesn't understand how to get people to help him out (first rule: actually tell them wtf they're doing), I'll put it to you as I understand it:

The crazy bastard is using some sort of physics system, in whatever animation program he's using, to calculate vertex animation based on skeletal animation. Basically he's animated the new HDTP models with skeletons, but since the DX engine doesn't support skeletons, these animations need to be translated into vertex animation (which is a lot more painful to do, hence why nobody will do it manually). These calculations are fairly taxing on ye olde CPU, so Akerfeldt - being an even crazier bastard than that - has come up with a shared processing program that distributes the calculation burden across the CPU's of all connected computers.

Understand? By running this program, you're turning Akerfeldt's modern animations into old-fashioned animations that Deus Ex can use.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Akerfeldt
UNATCO

Post by Akerfeldt »

AgentSmithereens wrote:I'm not sure what I'm meant to be doing, but I opened the exe and at first nothing happened, but then some random lines of meaningless (to me) stuff appeared in a command prompt. I left it for a few hours as I went out and I came back and it said 'Connect failed c' and seemed to have stopped. Then it started to produce more lines again.
So is this meant to happen? Sorry, I'm not very good at computers, or at least something like this. I don't even know why I'm supposed to be doing it, something about helping HDTP :? Also am I allowed to close it? It's making my computer run really slowly.
It's running correctly, 'Connect failed c' just happens when the server dies. And you may close it whenever you like. In fact, you should just run it on a computer that you aren't using if you don't have a multi-core CPU.
Nameless Voice wrote:It would be nice if it also gave the filename it was working on. :)
That would be neat but, as the song goes, mo code mo problems. 8)
blk wrote:btw, client is working again, thanks akerfeldt (how about a linux x64 client? i can compile it if you provide the sources)
I am considering rewriting the client and server to make them more efficient and stable. At that time I will upload the source for you,
Last edited by Akerfeldt on Fri May 16, 2008 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Jonas wrote:Alright since Akerfeldt is a n00b who doesn't understand how to get people to help him out (first rule: actually tell them wtf they're doing), I'll put it to you as I understand it:

The crazy bastard is using some sort of physics system, in whatever animation program he's using, to calculate vertex animation based on skeletal animation. Basically he's animated the new HDTP models with skeletons, but since the DX engine doesn't support skeletons, these animations need to be translated into vertex animation (which is a lot more painful to do, hence why nobody will do it manually). These calculations are fairly taxing on ye olde CPU, so Akerfeldt - being an even crazier bastard than that - has come up with a shared processing program that distributes the calculation burden across the CPU's of all connected computers.

Understand? By running this program, you're turning Akerfeldt's modern animations into old-fashioned animations that Deus Ex can use.
I'm pretty sure it's converting the vertex animations in the original Deus Ex into skeletal animations. I.e. approximating where each bone should be on each frame, so you get animations without having to remake them from scratch. Once you have that, you can apply that skeletal mesh to other models and viola - you have High Def. models with the old animations.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

That sounds... like it bends the laws of computing :shock:
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
AgentSmithereens
Silhouette

Post by AgentSmithereens »

Aha, I see. Thanks guys :)
VersaLife82
Mole Person

Post by VersaLife82 »

Queue Empty?
blk
Mole Person

Post by blk »

finished or another batch to go?
Dead-eye
X-51

Post by Dead-eye »

Looks like my render fame helped out it on last night, and I turned my PC on this morning to help out as well. Guess we are done for now.

Question: If it's doing what everyone is saying it's doing (To keep it simple will say it's converting joint based animations to Vertex based animations) is it not true that we are doing the exact opposite of what DX:R needs to have done for it? (That is convert the old models vertex based animations to Joint Based.)
Akerfeldt
UNATCO

Post by Akerfeldt »

Correct Dead-eye, but that's in fact not what we are doing with this program. What DaveW wrote is accurate.

In other news, I've brought the server back up with a new batch of models. Hopefully it survives till the end this time.