My Rant - because there's no one else I can complain too...

Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
fox
X-51

Post by fox »

Right.

Thug: "Hand me over your money or die!"
1 - "Why the hell not?" [-24,55 Credits, -2 Coolness]
2 - "Why would I?" [- 2000ml Blood, +2 Charisma]
_Alex_
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Re: My Rant - because there's no one else I can complain too

Post by _Alex_ »

***Sorry Alex! I hit the wrong button and edited your post!!! :s****

It's not enough to just "push and nag @ people" to create a finished project and get it out the door. You should be more than willing to simply make the required material *yourself* if no one else is willing. Don't know how to? Then learn. as far as I know, you have some 2d skills and can use Photoshop right?

make some textures.
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

_Alex_ wrote:
It's not enough to just "push and nag @ people" to create a finished project and get it out the door. You should be more than willing to simply make the required material *yourself* if no one else is willing. Don't know how to? Then learn. as far as I know, you have some 2d skills and can use Photoshop right?

make some textures.
You're quite right. Can't argue. I can make textures - used to do stuff for TNM and in face I did several textures for HDTP including the vending machines.

I've got a full time job and i've got college night-class. It's a bit of a struggle.

I also resent that you think I 'nag'. People should contribute to our mod because they want too. I've never stopped anyone from walking away from this mod because they weren't interested anymore.

So - what do you suggest I do? Quit the mod?

5 years ago I was contributing personally but over the space of time life changes - you know - like life does? Circumstances are not permitting me to do everything I used to have time to do.

@EER & Jonas: Leipzig FTW!
Necromanthus
Thug

Post by Necromanthus »

metche_steele wrote: I've got a full time job and i've got college night-class. It's a bit of a struggle.

5 years ago I was contributing personally but over the space of time life changes - you know - like life does? Circumstances are not permitting me to do everything I used to have time to do.
You're right.
But in all this kind of projects it's a matter of passion & faith.
The main question for any designer or developer is "why should I continue this project?".
If he/she doesn't find the answer, probably the best thing to do is to give up.
Or maybe to dig deeper to find the answer ...
:twisted:
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

I love this project - hence why i'm still doing it 5 years later.

I think there's an illusion that just because i'm some lowly 2-bit project lead I live the good life while I just crack the whip at my minions every so often.

Project lead is tough - Alex should know.

I could have walked away from this project many times but i'm not a quitter. I have a promise to keep to this community and if it ever got to the stage where everyone jumped ship and there was only me running the joint i'd finish the damn thing myself - you do what you have to. Right now were lucky because things are running smoothly again and development is ticking along nicely.

I'm not a glory hunter. Those types of people cave in after 6 months.
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

Although it pains me to say this, you have to give Metche her due.

She has stuck with this project through thick and thin. There have been times when she's just wanted to give up and probably would have done if someone else took over the reins but she didn't want to see it fail and continued to work on the mod.

I think a rant about a situation is allowed every so often, if this were a big community, it probably wouldn't be as difficult to find a texture artist but it isn't a big community and therefore it's frustrating when you can't get the help you need.
Last edited by Phasmatis on Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
Necromanthus
Thug

Post by Necromanthus »

metche_steele wrote:I love this project - hence why i'm still doing it 5 years later.

I could have walked away from this project many times but i'm not a quitter.

You're right (again).
But I was not talking about you (the project leader).
I was talking about your initial question ("Why is it so hard to recruit texture artists?") and about all the people involved in a project.

best regards
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

Phasmatis wrote:Although it pains me to say this, you have to give Metche her due.
Yeah - I love you too :P
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

Necromanthus wrote:
metche_steele wrote:I love this project - hence why i'm still doing it 5 years later.

I could have walked away from this project many times but i'm not a quitter.

You're right (again).
But I was not talking about you (the project leader).
I was talking about your initial question ("Why is it so hard to recruit texture artists?") and about all the people involved in a project.

best regards
Nooo sorry it's fine my comment wasn't specifically aimed at you -was speaking in general :)
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Although nobody ever publicly says it, we all love your dedication to the mod Metche, keep it up :)
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
Solid_Choke
UNATCO

Post by Solid_Choke »

EER wrote:Although nobody ever publicly says it, we all love your dedication to the mod Metche, keep it up :)
I second that.
AgentSmithereens
Silhouette

Post by AgentSmithereens »

Solid_Choke wrote:
EER wrote:Although nobody ever publicly says it, we all love your dedication to the mod Metche, keep it up :)
I second that.
Thirded
Plus, your avator is awesome :)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

GOD DAMMIT GUYS, WATCH OUT FOR HER EGO.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

AgentSmithereens wrote:
Solid_Choke wrote:
I second that.
Thirded
Generally speaking a motion only needs a second. At this stage we should move into questions and discussion. After that we'll vote.

If I could have the floor, I'd like to make a motion to amend. I say we drop the bit about not publicly saying it. After that I think we could pass the "We all love your dedication to the mod Metche, keep it up," part by consensus.

-

It's true though, we really don't publicly say it enough. I privately said it recently, but you guys are right, publicly is better.
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

*CAN'T SQUEEZE MY HEADZ THRU DOOR DAGNABIT!*
*squeeks*
*POPS*

I'll try and be modest and say thank you kindly gents ;)