My Rant - because there's no one else I can complain too...

Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
metche_steele
Illuminati

My Rant - because there's no one else I can complain too...

Post by metche_steele »

... so forgive this blatant self indulgence but I need some self-therapy.

Why is it so hard to recruit texture artists?

Am I a bad project leader? I know i've not always been the most logical/methodical but I've always put the time in - and I believed I had the passion. Why does it feel like it's me against everyone else sometimes when we are all on the same side? It's so stressful. I just want this mod done. 5 fucking years and I feel like i've been mentally reduced from being passionate to just wanting to drop the whole thing and run. Not that I would but that's how things make you feel.

I'm not a glory hunter - i'm doing this for the community. Yes in some ways it's for my own benefit also (and my team members benefits), let's not be coy - the experience has been enriching - but at the end of the day it's all about the Deus Ex community. It seems like there's interest in our mod but yet I don't understand why it's so hard to find help.

Maybe this is the first stage of me finally cracking up.

If I could just get 2 texture artists to finish the weapon skins then I'd happily call it a day! I'd release at that point because I don't think we'd get much benefit in taking another 2 years to complete a poxy handful of other textures that really aren't that important in the grand scheme of things.

All is done in the modelling dept, the animation dept is automated thanks to Darren so all I need to get finished are the weapons.

I feel like screaming because it's a totally absurd situation.

I'm going to bed. Thanks for allowing me to write this. I should air my laundry more often.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

It's not you, it's just hard to find good help, these days.

We always found it difficult to find and retain good textures artists, too. Same thing with voice actors, until we hit on a good group of them. I blame the internet.

The new Moddb pictures look fantastic, though :-)
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I don't know why. I have no idea how to do textures.

It's good to talk like that. It lets everyone know that the frustration is felt by the project just as much if not more.

How long it takes to do the project isn't reflective of the leadership, but it is reflective of the difficulty. The test is if the project is still around and still moving forward. I can't imagine how long the list is of mods that didn't have that leadership and have been forgotten -- Deus Ex retexturing projects even. There's a quote somewhere, that the last 20% of a project takes 80% of the time, or something like that based on the law of diminishing returns.

I'm a fan. When I disagree, half the time it's just me wanting to write about anything. HDTP is so close to completion, and that's awesome, something to celebrate.
SlySpy
UNATCO

Post by SlySpy »

That time again? Don't worry man. Nothing's ever easy when it comes to projects like this. Try not to let it bother you too much. Before you know it, it'll all be over and you won' ever have to think about it again.

PS: Yeah the Mod DB pics do look pretty good. The second picture in particular was pretty funny and the assault rifle looked very good. Did you guys fix that problem in the second pic by the way?
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

It is because there are a lot of people like me in the world. I'd love to help. I have no skills.

It has nothing to do with your skill as a leader. It just happens to be a lot easier to watch a mod with interest than to become qualified to help out.

I think it will always be that way and I can't imagine the difficulty of managing a project like this. As far as I'm concerned the fact the project is still going, and near completion at that, is proof you're doing a great job. Then again the opinion of an outsider who has no idea of the details of what's going on within the project probably doesn't mean much.

-

I thought I posted this quite a while ago, apparently I never got around to hitting post.

justanotherfan, could you be thinking of the ninety-ninety rule? It states, "The first 90% of the code accounts for the first 90% of the development time. The remaining 10% of the code accounts for the other 90% of the development time."
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Yeah yeah Metche, blah blah blah ANGST.

Anyway, let's move on to something that actually matters:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/project-hdtp/ ... n#imagebox

OH MY GOD. WHAT THE SHIT? Is that the BEST MODEL EVER CREATED!? My word, I do think so!

I believe I lack the necessary amount of hyperbole and superlatives to describe the excellence of that new assault gun. I love it so much, I want it implemented in TNM yesterday and I want it to be included regardless of whether or not the player has HDTP installed. The visage of this assault gun needs to be distributed to the public like a religion.

It's a thing of beauty.

It's magic.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
fox
X-51

Post by fox »

Yes it is beautiful! :shock:
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

Thanks everyone- it's appreciated - and yes it felt so good to get some of the frustration off my chest, even if I feel a little stupid the morning after. I don't even drink so I can't blame that!

The new assault rifle was done by Anto who is a magnificent modeller and texture artist. He's also professional - so he's totally awesome. It's complete with 1st and 3rd person views and now it's going to be run thru' Darrens crazy cool animator.

Anto is working on the flamethrower next so that's something else to get your eyeballs round.

Cheers again all -
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

SlySpy wrote:... Did you guys fix that problem in the second pic by the way?
Yes the problem was fixed a while back - I just thought i'd upload it for comedy purposes :)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Dude did you do the assault shotgun yet? Can we see? Please? Pretty please? C'moooooooon...
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

Jonas wrote:Dude did you do the assault shotgun yet? Can we see? Please? Pretty please? C'moooooooon...
We have the new model but we don't have anyone to texture it yet...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Was your pestering of Dave unsuccessful?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

Oh no Dave is awesome - he's doing textures for our new bots ... he's a God send right now.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I knew he'd lend a hand, he is a solid, solid fellow.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
~DJ~

Post by ~DJ~ »

Well.. i dont know where i should post but.. i can help at some stuff.. i am a photoshopper... duno if i am posting tis in the wrong section lol.