Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Dazza
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Texture Sizes

Post by Dazza »

Hey,

Are you guys able to somehow able to update the max texture resolution for Deus Ex because I'm sure that HDTP will have textures going at 512x512 and the max texture size for DX is 256x256 which sucks.

I've heard that it's possible to increase the max resolution in the Deus Ex by editing the DirectX source code. I've had a friend try and do it since he actually came across the idea but in the end DirectX didn't compile the new packages. :?

If we're able to do this then that's something that I think would help HDTP out a lot.

Cheers,
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Deus Ex sizes all textures down to 256*256, however, textures of a larger resolution actually come off with better lighting (however that works). I can't actually recall if HDTP has any textures that are 512*512.

*waits for someone to tell us*
Dazza
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by Dazza »

Well I was scouting the textures that have already been made and on of the textures was 512x512. :D

And btw it looked awesome!
BTG

Post by BTG »

If some of the textures are being resized to a larger, higher quality, will the end result when viewed in game be off scale / unaligned? For instance, a 128*128 px file is redone to 256*256 and is used to replace the old one in the game, won't it display bigger and need to be rescaled down? Or am i missing something.
Dazza
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by Dazza »

No you're 100% right on that. :P

Woah that's a very good point that I didn't come across, good point man. So I guess that right there means that we can't have larger textures unless someone wants realign textures in all Deus Ex maps.

No thanks! :)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

They wrote a script which scales the new textures down in the maps automatically. That means they fit on the surfaces, but they're higher quality, and no map editing is needed.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Dazza
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by Dazza »

Awesome! Thanks for that update Jonas. :D
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

Like Trestkon said, textures for DX can be no higher than 256x256 the reason some of the textures are 512x512 is so we can put a lot of detail in the textures and then resize manually in photoshop.
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.